Resolutions at Kingdom Hall

by sieborg 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sieborg
    sieborg
    Anyhow I got to thinking today about my days in the BORG and the resolutions that would intermittently be made in the announcements for CO visit expenses, sending a donation to society WWW fund etc. My point is that while I was in (almost thirty two years) I never once saw anyone put up their hand to vote against a resolution that the body of elders proposed. On a couple of occasions I heard a few hushed murmurs but I never saw one person vote against. Did any of you ever see anyone vote against a resolution?
  • My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence
    I remember seeing one or two vote against something years ago. But it did not matter. The "resolutions" are shams anyway.
  • sparky1
    sparky1

The Jehovah's Witnesses RUBBER STAMP everything. That way they can claim to 'all speak in agreement'!

• prologos
    prologos
    "Rubber stamp", somehow reminds me of the final scene of Blue Max, the movie, the approval of a foregone, perhaps deadly conclusion.
  • NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

The same goes when elders have to make decisions for congregational matters...if one or two disagree they usually vote with the majority so the body can claim the vote was unanimous. Being a dissident is never well seen in the congregation or in the body of elders.

• dbq407
    dbq407
    I hate when they make resolutions. Everyone knows they are going to be passed regardless if anyone disagrees or not. I've never really seen anyone vote against a money resolution. I have seen some vote against changes in meeting times.
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    I abstained once
  • xelder
    xelder

I had the accounts servant job off and on through the years. One time, I raised my hand during the discussion of covering the CO visit. I said that their were no funds available (we were near zero in the bank account) and that we should wait a week to see if the money would come in. That got many comments and contributions and the CO got paid a week later.

Another time, we had an opinionated CO who wanted us to sell a property. The elder handling the resolution from the platform said it seemed to "be Jehovah's will and direction". I raised my hand and said that there was no evidence of divine guidance on this decision and that the majority of local elders wished to keep the property, however, it was up to the publishers to decide. They voted to keep the property.

Over the years, I witnessed several financial oddities. Usually this was not dishonesty but rather just because the elders handling the matter were so incapable.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I remember raising my hand "against" years ago. Afterwards, somebody told me that it didn't look good, or words to that effect.

From that point onward, I would never raise my hand, either for OR against. I just ignored their charade.

I could not stand how these hypocrites wanted to give the pretense that rank & file Witnesses had a "say" as to what happened there, when in fact they did not!

• Sail Away
    Sail Away
    There is a provision for questions before the vote. In my congregation, it was more than clear that sisters should not ask questions-- that was for the elders and ministerial servants. I usually waited to see if a brother would ask first, but if I thought it was important, and no one asked, I raised my hand. You should have seen the disaproving looks! What a farce.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit