Will New Rules Bring JWs Together or Pull Them Apart?

by doinmypart 30 Replies latest jw friends

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

There's been a lot of discussion about the changes in the org.

You might think all this would shake things up, especially for the older or super dedicated JWs. But remember when GB decided all the KHs and the bank accounts needed to be transferred/managed from the top? That was huge, talking about a lot of property and dollars changing hands. But did we see a big split? Nope. And here's why I think that happened.

JWs have a strong sense of unity, built up over years. So, even if some rank and file member needs a minute to get used to new ideas, in the end, they stick together. I believe whatever changes come next, the same thing will happen. Sure, not everyone's going to be on board right away every time. But they’ve been through changes before and stayed tight.

I'd love to hear what you all think: Do you think the R&F, will stick together “in unity” like always, or are you spotting some bumps in the road?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Not so much "sticking together" as believing they have no choice. It's also human nature to preserve status quo, cling to the familiar. It takes a pretty strong push emotionally to convince people to change.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I think there will be issues in some congregations, because some of the changes will affect people as individuals and not the congregations as a whole. Old-timers and hardliners might not be willing to accept the changes to dress and grooming, or to the treatment of those who are disfellowshipped. Most of them may grudgingly accept the changes after enough time has passed, but it could be quite a bumpy road.

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

Today at 9 in the morning I was driving down a major artery in Fayetteville NC. People here are very religious and traditional.

I come to a stop light and I see the most humorous scenario. On the right side of the street I see 3 brothers between 25 to 55 ish. The younger brothers are wearing cargo khakis with open collar shorts. The older black brother in a full suit. On the other side of the street 2 sisters. Both about 40 something years old. The white sister has on some nice black slacks fitting snug and some heels. Looking like she was on her way to a breakfast meeting.

The black sister had the long skirt, service shoes and a knit cap. It looked so odd. Like there was no reason for the two of them to be next to each other.

I can imagine there will be some that want to hold on to the old ways.

• a watcher
    a watcher

I think JWs will remain 'united' until the GT starts. After that, they may schism. (Matt 10:21)

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    It will take a while for some to change their wardrobes.
  • road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

My opinion is cargo khakis are not quite up to snuff, especially the cargo part

My observation is black churchgoers always have better sense on appropriate attire

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

What, wait till the UN attacks false religion? Don't hold your breath.

• ElderBerry
    ElderBerry

The changes can be summed up in two words- soft touch. Humans have a tendency to go a little beyond sometimes. If someone goes a little beyond these days it will be a soft touch approach.

Soft touch with what you decide to wear. Beards and hairstyles tend to go along with that, it’s not often talked about but JWs will have a soft touch with hairstyles from now on as well.

soft touch when it comes to clothing.

People can just wear whatever they were wearing that day in work or school or whatever. As long as not too casual.

Soft touch in getting DFed in the first place, it’s a lot less likely to happen and even if it does happen it’s only for 90 days then easy to get reinstated. During that 90 days people will still talk to you anyway. This is so incredibly soft touch when you really think about it.

so definitely soft touch describes the changes.

there is no more fear of being shunned like there used to be.

if you have a meeting with a few elders and they decide you will be DFed then you can ask for an appeal committee. If you tell them you are repentant and won’t do it again they can overturn the original decision.

So it seems to me it’s very unlikely anyone will be DFed ever again. And in the worst case it does happen it’s only for 90days. There is no need to ask to be reinstated the elders will chase you and try to talk you into agreeing to be reinstated.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

If this "great tribulation"" starts if and or when,,, there will be no going back for the Borg.

It can happen only once.

There is NO going back!!

It will be like the Borg pushing a "self destruct" button.

This is the pickle the Borg will pit itself into.

The Borg is self fulfilling. Self serving .

Its focus is it's own sustainability.

I dont think they will go there with this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit