What actually DID you learn?

by punkofnice 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

My JW friends that still speak to me, tell me that they love the meetings because of the things they learn.

I wonder what they think they're learning? It an avenue that always perplexes me because their replies are just so wishy washy or I get a blank stare when I ask.

What's you r experience?

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    I learned a fair bit about the Bible, its fictional characters and books, I was a zealous Dub eager to learn but it worked against them as my inquisitive nature made me research and find out how much of a fraud it all was.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Jook - Long may it continue. I remember trying to put a document together with info about Jesus and the Apostles that I got from watchtower(tm) publications. My document was quite empty as all I found was adverts to go door knocking.
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I learnt about the nasty side of human nature from some particularly unpleasant bible characters.

Any other subjects they touched on where at such a superficial level I have forgotten it all.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Dio - Yes, indeed. I found that when I asked my family what they learned from the a$$embĀ£y, they couldn't tell me....and I had no idea either. I just remember them asking for money.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

What actually DID you learn?

I learned a bit about the Catholic Church

• Divergent
    Divergent

Err... I learned that it wasn't the truth?

Obviously...

Let's see... what else...

You know what? Most of the things that I learned are irrelevant in my daily life. After all those years of growing up in the truth, I can't even answer this simple question! There is nothing profound that I have learned that has actually helped me in life. It's all to do with pleasing an organization & putting on appearances!

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I mean when I was a child I learned a lot. Excusing for a moment that most of what I learned was, at best, a layman interpretation of some works of fiction, I did learn things. By the time I was 14 or 15, though, there wasn't much to learn at meetings anymore. I can't see how anyone can claim to learn anything at meetings if they're an adult that was raised in the cult - the only time you learn anything new at that point is when they issue some "new light." So maybe 3-4 times a year.

Maybe some people just have trouble remembering things, so when they hear it for the 40th time it still sounds new?

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    I learned how many different ways the Bible referred to the "anointed" and 1919. When Abraham's camel farted it was a reference to the inspection in heaven and the "anointed" it seems. Turds.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Funny isn't it, how you allegedly 'learn' things and then as OEJoe says, new light(tm) comes along. Then you have to 'unlearn' them in favour of more silly nonsense that lines the pockets of the GB somehow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit