Tag teams of Cart Sitters

by days of future passed 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

One sunday, we took our dad out for lunch. Since it didn't open till 12:00, we were going to have to kill time. This restaurant is situated with other businesses around a small park and when we parked, we noticed there was a cart to the right in the park. It sat on the grass, barely touching the cement sidewalk and across from it sitting on a bench, was two brothers. One was infirm and had his walker (I think), parked across from him too.

Most of the people in the park were not in that area but to the left, where children had a small activity gym to play on. We decided to walk my dad around the park so we went to the left so he could enjoy watching the children play. We then continued on the sidewalk around the park and came up to the next corner of the park to find another cart. This park holds music events and such so this corner had a cement area with benches and picnic tables. Behind the cart on one of these tables, sat two young women. They weren't actively doing the cart at that point, but a couple who were mexican. The husband was down on one knee with the bible open, in front of a mexican man on the bench. The bro was effectively blocking him from escaping and I felt embarrassed to be seeing it. Meanwhile, the two young sisters were just sitting there smiling. So at this point, there were six witnesses in this park, 4 manning the carts and two in the wings.

As we went just 10' away, there was another table and lo and behold, another couple was there with their tablets. The sister looked up with a studied gaze at me looking at her. Then she and her buddy (husband?) went back to their tablets. So that makes 8 in the park. I guess they were waiting their turn along with the young ladies.

As we went back towards the restaurant, another older sister stopped by to chat with the first two witnesses that we had seen.

I haven't seen so many witnesses at one place in many years. Where I live, only the mexican witnesses do a slow stroll down the street to check on spanish speakers. Only have seen 4 at a time.

I feel like I should have a sheet that marks off certain bird species.

• Married pioneers - 4 check!
    • Single sister pioneers - 2 check!
    • Oddly situated publishers - 3 check!
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

I guess the JW's of today just love this easy, pain free, way of counting time. I have observed a few carts, stood and watched, the only people who approached were other JW's passing by, and once some JW's from another town walked up and made themselves known.

The Public, even if they slowed and looked at the display, were not spoken to by the JW's at all.

The S.A.D's locally engage, quite vigorously, in an old style "Street Witnessing", guess which Cult is more likely to make recruits ?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    I live in a very small town and we have two carts now on a Saturday. One in the town centre and the other about fifty metres away down a cut through between some shops. Last weekend when I cut through they were also slightly up a shop alleyway and I almost stopped and said you just look like you're hiding.
  • HappyDad
    HappyDad

Days, I've sent you a PM.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

If I were still an active jw, I'd be embarrassed to call 'cart work' preaching! Sitting n your ass texting or reading or staring off into space is preaching the 'good news'? lol

just saying!

• carla
    carla

First thought at this post- Remember the Moonies at airports?

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

On Thursdays there are 2 carts and 4 people who stand outside our relatively quiet office building. All 4 people say nothing and are all 4 are undoubtedly counting time separately while being seen by the same few passersby.

It seems to me that when the society reports the hours spent in the ministry each year, in the interest of accuracy, they should divide the number in half or in this case by 4. This practice must be driving up the ratio of the hours spent compared to the amount of newly baptized ones coming in.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Field Service; F.S.

is now

Field Loitering: F.L.

• alanv
    alanv

There is no doubt the JWs love this new way of ''preaching'' What is better than sitting in the park on a nice summer day, texting or viewing things on your phone or tablet, and chatting to your partner about anything. If anyone does come up to you, all you need to do is hand them some free literature and point to jwdotorg.

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

My wife is still in touch with an old sister, even though my wife left about 25 years ago. She claims that this sister has told her that they are "not allowed" to approach the public while manning the carts - they can only speak to the public if they are spoken to first.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit