Anyone read the Left Behind series?

by AJN 12 Replies latest jw friends

• AJN
    AJN

I've just started book one. Just wondering if anyone has read the books and what they thought of them? :)

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I haven't read them personally, but I have friends who have and are "hooked" on them. I think the subject lends itself to a good story, however their take on the so-called Rapture doesn't ring true to me. just my 2 cents

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

I've flipped through one of their books enough to get the overall look of it. I suppose it appeals to religious minded people who want to get out of here. Almost the same appeal as a watchtower publication has for a witness. Life will be better soon because God says so.

Not my thing of course.

• Valis
    Valis

There are so many other good post apocalyptic stories I would give that mess the time of day...Some of my faves..

Farnham's Freehold

Alas Babylon

A Canticle For Liebowitz & St Liebowitz and The Wildhorse Woman

The Postman

Swan Song, Robert McCammon

And here's a huge list

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/9941/madmax3.html

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I think its this type of belief that has led people to not particularly care what they do to the earth, hey they will be pulled away from it anyway. Not too different from those folks that took the poisoning to be with the mother ship awhile back, makes about as much sense. Its amazing how people want to take all that stuff literally.

Gretchen

• Princess
    Princess

I read most of the series just out of curiosity. It's amazing to me that people swallow that sh*t. I actually read about nine of them just to see what happened. Ultimately I reached my gag level and quit.

Total load of crap. Just my opinion, of course.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I read the first and most of the second...I enjoy them, but as princess mentioned, there is a bit of gagging....if you can get past the born again stuff every other page it is a pretty interesting story line.

I also have the first two dvds based on the first two books. Definately not blockbuster stuff, but again, I thought they were pretty entertaining.

I don't believe any of it of course, but I do think it is interesting how the authors took the whole Rapture idea and tribulation, armageddon stuff and made it into fiction. There are much better authors out there, but if I had to give it a rating of 1 worst and 10 best, I would say what i have read, they would be around 6.89 (minus .11 points for the hell of it)

I suggest getting the books used or borrowing them from a friend or the library. They are entertaining, but I hardly think worth paying full price for.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I'm "hooked" on the series...as is my 14 year old son. We're Catholic and don't buy into the whole Armageddon end of the world thing as presented by the evangelicals...but they've been a good read and I'm looking forward to the last book of the series. LeHaye and Jenkins ain't poor from writing these books.

• archangel01
    archangel01

Catholic or Rome is what the meaning of the woman riding the beast (Revelation). The Woman is a City after reading through you know its Rome. As for the Rapture It can come at Any moment or Time. Thats why it's called the Blessed Hope. The fact that the time we live in is computerize and there are Nukes/bombs/gases/guns etc must be a wake up call, the it's coming. There are TWO stages Rapture then 7year Trib to Armaggendom. Then Jesus steps in at the last battle an that is the second coming. The souls under the alter (The Fifth seal) are people who are killed during the Trib. who don't recieve the mark. They are to wait until its all over after Jesus beats anti-christ etc then there is a First Resurrection of All christians killed during the 7 years. Then there on earth Christ rules for 1,000 years but it ends in war. This is some Heavy stuff, before you get into this Get saved First by accepting Jesus as your Lord an Savior, repent of your sins and ask Jesus to forgive you an Thank Him. Pray & read his word daily even if its just for 5 mis. Also find a chruch to go to an get baptize, there should be no strings attachs. Now you are ready to get into the word believe Prophesy (1Cor. 14:22)

hope this helps any Q's just e-mail me [email protected]

• AJN
    AJN

Thanks for the opinions, info and links everyone. It's great to get such a diverse range of opinions and perspectives.

I'm kinda fascinated with this prophecy stuff, I think I need to get it 'out of my system' as it were. I'll check out the books suggested too, sounds good :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit