Awake #4/2016: Homosexuality

by Designer Stubble 174 Replies latest watchtower bible

• scotsman
    scotsman
    I'm delighted that the LGBT communities have such a passionate fellow traveler as you LUHE. Out of interest can I ask what else you are doing to raise the plight of victims of homophobia with people who can effect change?
  • steve2
    steve2

Excellent question, scotsman. Those who condemn others for inaction are usually prone to being 'alll talk' themselves.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Out of interest can I ask what else you are doing to raise the plight of victims of homophobia with people who can effect change? - good question, scotsman.

I admit I'm doing hardly anything. I do support military action against homophobic extremists. At least that's something.

However, it's not my job to raise the plight of victims of homophobic extremists. That's the job of western governments, the UN, and gay rights groups. I'm a qualified biologist. My career path involves scientific research on non-human species, I hope.

I could ask you a similar question: what are you doing to raise the plight of vicitims of homophobic extremists?

• scotsman
    scotsman
    I do support military action against homophobic extremists.

Interesting. How do you actually support military action?

However, it's not my job to raise the plight of victims of homophobic extremists.

So while doing hardly anything is it your job to tell others that they are not doing enough or not doing it properly?

What are you doing to raise the plight of vicitims of homophobic extremists?

I've met with and written to MPs and MEPs on the subject and campaigned to prevent gay asylum seekers being returned to dangerous countries. I probably don't do enough but I certainly don't go around pointing fingers at others telling them that they are doing it wrong.

And it's not my job to to it either.

Are you in direct contact with Pink News to tell them they aren't outraged enough? 

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

How do you actually support military action? - I'm in favour of military action against homophobic extremists.

is it your job to tell others that they are not doing enough or not doing it properly? - I haven't spoken out of turn here. It's called freedom of speech. I won't be intimidated by you or anyone else.

I've met with and written to MPs and MEPs on the subject and campaigned to prevent gay asylum seekers being returned to dangerous countries - this is good. What have been the outcomes of these campaigns/discussions?

I'd just like to say at this point that progressive people have accomplished much. A lot of gay rights have been won, thanks to such people. But, having accomplished these things, isn't there a danger of progressives outliving their usefulness when they tolerate gay people being killed by homophobic extremists?

And it's not my job to to it either - agreed, it's the job of western governments and gay activist groups, plus the local people living in homophobic countries. They must do much better ...

• scotsman
    scotsman
    I'm in favour of military action against homophobic extremists.

So, you don't do anything active in support of LGBTQ communities that are victims of hatred or violence?

I haven't spoken out of turn here. It's called freedom of speech. I won't be intimidated by you or anyone else.

Apologies if you feel intimidated, that's not my intent. I'm trying to understand motivation and close interest in LGBTQ persecution.

What have been the outcomes of these campaigns/discussions?

Most of the time it has been awareness raising but with a growing number of out politicians it's becoming a lot easier.

isn't there a danger of progressives outliving their usefulness when they tolerate gay people being killed by homophobic extremists?

It's this I don't understand. Who are these progressives that are tolerating the murder of gay people? Lack of opinion pieces in Pink News does not equal with toleration, and they certainly cover news of it although it's almost always difficult to verify the truth: are the individuals murdered even gay or is that just an excuse? ISIS trade in women is also appalling, are there enough opinion pieces on that to satisfy you?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

you don't do anything active in support of LGBTQ communities that are victims of hatred or violence?

It's this I don't understand. Who are these progressives that are tolerating the murder of gay people?

I support military action against homophobic extremists. This means that I have zero tolerance of these extremists killing gay people.

There are, of course, people who are against military action against homophobic extremists. This means that they, unfortunately, have at least some tolerance of homophobic extremists killing gay people.

You make a good point, I can and should be more active about such matters. But, as I said, I'm a biologist. Politicians get paid handsomely (c. £70,000pa in UK, basic pay!) to deal with such issues. It's their full-time job.

TBH, although I support such military action, I believe that Western countries (inc. USA) are doing it wrong. On one hand, we have the anti-war crowd that are opposed to all wars. On the other, we have the Western coalition - a group that isn't doing enough bombing of extremists.

Vlad has the right idea re how to deal with extremists ...

Most of the time it has been awareness raising but with a growing number of out politicians it's becoming a lot easier - please explain. Do you mean politicians who are openly gay? Or politicians who advocate Brexit? or ...

Well, I have to say "well done" to you, it's good that you are doing things to help.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Lack of opinion pieces in Pink News does not equal with toleration - it does, I'm afraid.

"Tolerate: Allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one dislikes or disagrees with) without interference" - oxforddictionaries.com.

• M*A*S*H
    M*A*S*H

@LoveUniHateExames

I do not think it does! The word 'allow' in the definition would suggest that you tolerate things you have the power or ability to influence.

For example, IMHO it would be an improper usage of the word 'tolerate' to suggest to me that I personally 'tolerate' the murder of children in my country because I am not personally doing anything to stop it.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

are the individuals murdered even gay or is that just an excuse? - those pushed from buildings and stoned when they hit the ground are either gay or bi. Sometimes, the charge is 'sodomy'. But sometimes they don't even get to do the nice bit (having sex). The ISIS religious police conduct undercover operations to trap gay or bi men. They arrange to go on a date with a suspect. The suspect is then arrested. This is entrapment, a sting.

I've read about one gay Syrian man who admitted to sleeping with men but "wanted a chance to repent". The death sentence was handed down, in accord with ISIS interpretation of Sharia. The gay guy pleaded with the judge to be shot - a quick and relatively dignified end. The Egyptian-born judge was having none of it: "throw him down ..."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit