Rutherford and dinosaurs

by jhine 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Jwism just does not pass the smell test. Any person with " Critical Thinking " skills would tear Jwism apart. This is why they hate higher education. Once you develop the ability to think and ask questions this crumbles their foundation and the whole house comes crashing down. They want stupid people who can't think for themselves. It happened to me. I was at a Con-vention and the speak said something that made me just call out "Bullshita!" That did it for me.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Wow, I can’t believe I missed this the first time ‘round…

…that’s just… weird.

I’ve said this before, though…

…crazy-ass ideas like this are inevitable when you’re in charge, you’re convinced God whispers in your ear, and you surround yourself solely with people who are never allowed to disagree with you.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Sounds crazy to us, but they could only read from the science of their time, and be quick to pick up the more extreme ideas….. This is Wikipedia:

Until the mid-20th century, the surface environment of Venus was believed to be similar to Earth, hence it was widely believed that Venus could harbor life. In 1870, the British astronomer Richard A. Proctor said the existence of life on Venus was impossible near its equator,but possible near its poles.

• TD
    TD

Yes

1940's and 50's era science fiction was full of the idea that Venus was a hospitable, albeit humid place.

Heinlein's Between Planets is a very good example. It's not that the late Robert Heinlein was stupid. He was an aeronautical engineer and like Asimov and Clarke, emphasized scientific accuracy, distinguishing hard science fiction from fantasy.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Loved the science fiction of the 40's and 50's. I grew up reading Heinlein, Asimov, and especially Bradbury.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

The quote (posted on page 1 of this topic thread) from the Golden Age does not say that the dinosaurs were transported from Earth to Venus, nor does it say the WT taught there were dinosaurs on Venus. Instead the quote says that some scientists think animals like the former dinosaurs of Earth exist on Venus. Back in 1931 scientists did not know how hot Venus is and they did not know if some kind of life exists on Venus. Venus was thought as possibly have life on it. The Golden Age was correct in saying that the temperature of Venus is considerably warmer than Earth's temperature of the year 1931. Some modern scientists also say that life like that of some life of Earth (and life like that of a former time on Earth) likely exist on another world beyond Earth.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

One of The Watchtower's "claims to fame" was the dinosaur that was featured on the inside cover/map of the GREEN New World Translation of the Bible. I offered these years ago - they might be a dead link now, but who knows? (By the way, to the best of my knowledge the only people who got these were the people I sent the shirts to for FREE.

see: https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/121091/jaraczic-park-t-shirts-cafepress

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit