Now I'm Convinced There Probably Is No God

by pale.emperor 60 Replies latest jw experiences

• schnell
    schnell

It is sort of interesting that the sun God will finally destroy the earth in 7 billion years.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

That's a lot of overlapping generations, "7 billion years"....

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

BAKER:

I just got done watching that. It is beautiful and the universe is beyond amazing. Yes, I agree that it all makes our planet (and us even more so) seem very insignificant.

Some might argue that there is a creator and others may say we are a lucky product of circumstances.

I am in agreement with DUBSTEPPED. I am also here, just trying to live a good life. If there is more to this (or not), it is beyond my control and I cannot worry about it.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Everything rests on something else, but God is that upon which all ultimately rests and in turn rests upon nothing else. It's like objects in relation to gravity on earth. And God is like the earth itself.

A hat rests on a head. A head is part of a human. The human sits on a chair. The chair rests on the floor. The floor is part of the building. The building has foundations. The foundations are secured to the ground. The ground is part of the earth's geology. The planet itself is the ultimate ground of orientation. What does the planet rest upon? The planet does not rest upon something else the way the objects on it rest upon it. It is its own source of orientation.

God lacks contingency in a more fundamental sense, this is just an illustration. But it shows how there can be a series of things that are contingent upon each other, but the ultimate source is itself not contingent upon anything else.

This is among the best arguments for God in my view.

• fukitol
    fukitol

Lol at Cofty, the forums resident militant atheist lurking silently ready to pounce on any utterance that even smacks of the slightest espousal of any position on 'God' that isn't totally atheist.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

We shouldn't start these arguments again, but I cant resist.

A hat rests on a head. A head is part of a human. The human sits on a chair. The chair rests on the floor. The floor is part of the building. The building has foundations. The foundations are secured to the ground. The ground is part of the earth's geology. The planet itself is the ultimate ground of orientation. What does the planet rest upon?

A turtle, of course. And that turtle sits on anther turtle, etc.

Seriously, I think the above argument is just another way of stating the third of Thomas Aquinas's 5 arguments in favor of the existence of God, summarized here:

http://web.mnstate.edu/gracyk/courses/web%20publishing/aquinasfiveways_argumentanalysis.htm

Edit: For the record, those arguments don't convince me. I could go into quantum mechanics, but don't want to start one of those endless debates again.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

So you are "certain" of the "confidence" of his non existence?

I'm sorry but until you remove the "probably" from your statement the atheist society cannot accept your membership application.

And as much as we want, we can not share our secret hand shake/fist bump with you nor invite you to our monthly gatherings wherein we mock believers and act all carnally.

Rules!

Woops! Sorry guys i've just noticed how that title doesn't even make sense.

• cofty
    cofty
    This is among the best arguments for God in my view. - SBF

Then theism has got nothing but sophistry.

Fuck it all - I have never had an exchange with you where you contributed anything useful to the conversation. Just insults and grandstanding.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Cofty " F...k it all.."

I get your frustration, but maybe the un-written record of your contribution here is by those that have reasoned on your constructive comments and benefited from making independent decisions. That's not to say we need agree with your viewpoints, but don't underestimate your contribution on this board. Personally I have benefited greatly from your reasoned O.Ps.

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you Rebel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit