Marking.

by Englishman 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Englishman
    Englishman

I've heard the expression a few times here but have normally not taken much notice.

I've been exited for 31 years and 4 months, well before the onset of elders, reproofs and marking.

I understand the first 2 but am all at sea about the the third. Someone please tell me exactly what "marking" is and how one becomes marked or a marker.

Or markee!

Englishman.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

As I recall, the Marking thing came up about 15 years ago and was a way for those in the congregation to exclude ones from social activities and events that were still "in" but considered bad association.

For example, a person dating a worldly person may fall into that category ... or a person who does things that may not get one df'd but are still not considered good (adult movies, regular association with worldly ones, etc.).

While the marked person would be treated as a brother in the KH, social events would be excluded.

Some brothers went to the extreme with this and since then there is less and less use of the term.

***** Rub a Dub

• logansrun
    logansrun

"Marking" is a practice that has evolved over time. It's a somewhat nebulous concept among the dubs these days -- many of the rank and file not even really knowing what it is!

Basically, someone can be "marked" if they are flagrantly violating Society policies, but not doing anything that would be under the umbrella of disfellowshipping offenses. (Hence the nebulous nature of "marking.")

The elders will meet with the person (supposedly repeatedly) and give them counsel/warning. If they persist there will be a special talk given in which the person is not named, but the offending behavior is talked about. The elder will then say that if someone in the congo sees such behavior they should "mark" that person and not socialize with them other than at the meetings/field service.

There is no "de-marking" talk. When the offensive behavior stops the marking stops. Again, this causes a hell of a lot of confusion sometimes and the practice of "marking" is rarely done.

My old hall "marked" someone once. It was a terrible talk -- the elder said that "someone is exhibiting a Jezebel-like spirit in the hall" blah, blah, blah. After the meeting everyone was like, "what the hell was that all about?"

Simply put: marking doesn't work. The dubs would be smart to get rid of the practice altogether.

Bradley

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    The elder will then say that if someone in the congo sees such behavior they should "mark" that person and not socialize with them other than at the meetings/field service.

Wow...I've never heard a talk like this. I guess the above is what separates a "marking" talk from a "local needs" talk, huh?

BTW, the best "local needs" talk I heard was one about the danger of singles hot tubbing in the nude.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I have known it done once -- a sister who was spiritually weak ,consistently dated a worldy guy -- there was a marking talk given -- I also once suggested on a JC where I was getting frustrated wit ha sisters behaviour that we mark her -- but the other 2 on the committee did not agree with me so we did not do it. She got the Big D shortly after anyway -- me being the main instigator -- the chaiman was a big softie but agreed with me and the other elder also agreed with me

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Personally I think the whole marking thing works on 2 levels.

On the official level there may be a talk about certain unacceptable behaviors and the need to mark those who practice those behaviors - which means treat them like they belong but also treat them like they don't belong.

On the unofficial level marking seems to apply to anyone you see or hear of doing something that you don't agree with. When I was DFed my children were marked - first because they were related to me (who knows maybe wrong-doing is contagious like germs) and second because they were little kids who refused to shun their mommy.

I've seen sisters with too much make-up, the wrong kind of clothes, brothers with too long hair or beards, or who buy houses (where that is untypical of the JWs in the area). People who have a spouse who has stopped going to meetings or has been DFed or reproved. People who have beed DFed in the past but are reinstated. Just about anyone who doesn't conform exactly to Dub rules can be marked. It is sad.

• sandy
    sandy

I posted this a few months ago......

My niece was marked for dating a "worldly boy". She refused to stop dating him thus she is marked.

It really is a ridiculous practice. After they give their special little talk everyone is gossiping after the meeting trying to figure out who has been marked.

In my old hall I remember about 4 specific marking talks and before the meeting even started my sister and I knew who was marked and what they were marked for.

• mizpah
    mizpah

The Watchtower Society had a lot of problems with this one. Years ago, we had several articles about "marking" of weak individuals in the congregation that were a bad influence. The members in the congregation took this to mean that they personally could "mark" another brother or sister. In some cases, members were going up to others telling them that they were "marking" them and would not be welcomed in their homes. It caused a lot of divisions and resentment in the congregation.,

As I recall, the Society had to come out with another article that moderated the practice. It was another case of Jehovah's Witnesses over reacting to the counsel of the Society.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Oh, yeah, I do remember this somewhat. An elder would take the platform and say: "someone is among us here, associating with us, acting as a brother/sister who is exhibiting worldly behavior. We should distance ourselves from this one as far as social activities, thereby showing this person that they are on the wrong path. By associating with such a person, our faith can be weakened and we may succumb to the bad influence. We will be showing true christian love by helping them to see that their behavior is unacceptable."

Barf, Barf Like we were a bunch of duds who were too stupid to determine right from wrong or who we wanted in our company. A form of power and control over the masses.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Thanks everone.

Seems that marking is a sort of DF'ing that doesn't apply at meetings, just everywhere else.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit