Marking.

by Englishman 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

eman:

Yeah, that bothers me too...but I think that's exactly what is meant by "marking" someone! Pathetic..

• willyloman
    willyloman

"Marking" is one of those WT procedures that came into being back in the 60's or 70's when the society determined it needed a rule for every conceivable situation. As this thread testifies, it has been difficult to understand and explain since its inception, and there was always mass confusion about just what form it should take and how it should be employed. Many elder bodies just don't use it, because of this confusion. It's been many, many years since I've heard a 'marking talk.' The WT made it clear it was a congregational action, its use determined by the elders, and that individuals could not "mark" others (however, see "guard your association"), and no names were to be used in the talk. For that reason, many publishers heard "marking talks" and had no idea that's what they were.

Today, the congregation has gravitated towards "local needs" parts, which are worked into the Service Meeting schedule about once a month. They serve the roughly same purpose but are not limited to acts of individuals.

That's my take on it, anyway.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

My experience on this was in 1997, I have not heard that it has changed since.

Sister D was being "Difficult" she had a "Friendship" with a man who was only studying, her daughte had been d'f a while before and there were reports that she was fratenizing with her. Also she was not responding to the loving counsel of the elders (heavy sarcasm)

I can say hand on heart that i stood up for her but I could not dissuade the rest of the body . With great solemnity an elder gave the talk next Thursday. She was not there but apparently laughed her socks off when her son told her .

She escaped soon after . I hope she is happy now.

• starfish422
    starfish422

Makes me think of Hester Prynn with that big scarlet "A".

everyone was asking "who is that about?" She said she had NO IDEA. The gossip really took off. My mother called the elder who gave the talk and she ASKED HIM IF IT WAS ABOUT US, and he said it was a generic talk, and wasn't about anyone. Well, we know that was a big lie and it was about us, but she spread it all over what he had said. Then everyone was very confused.

Isn't this an epidemic in every congregation?? In a so-called "spiritual paradise", it is filled with suspicion, gossip and back-stabbing.

• La Capra
    La Capra

In the context of the high control group, marking is a delightful little invention. When the folks cannot get enough dirt on someone they don't want around, they begin to "mark" someone, even if they cannot put their finger on why they're disliked. And thus, the cycle has begun. This person (can even be a five year old child) now never gets invited to social events, and if she invites others to socialize, the invitation is declined. This practice has basically three results. The first is that the person conforms their personality (even subconsciously) to fit into the "group." This person lives on constant guard of their true self, and in fear that she "will be discovered" for her real self. This is what the cult wants: Robotron conduct thinly veiling utter fear of rejection. Second, the person just withdraws into seclusion and depression. The cult does not mind this, because it is an example to everyone else what happens if you aren't exactly like everyone else-you are doomed to a life of loneliness and rejection. And thirdly, most commonly, the marked person seeks out other social release, which has to be "worldly". By doing this, the "marked" individual acts out a self-fulfilling prophecy: Dubs won't hang out with me, so I hang out with "worldlies" which makes the dubs not hang out with me....Everyone has to belong somewhere, it is part of the human condition, even biology (as some recent psychological studies have tentatively shown). The way that high control groups effectuate control through this need is fascinating. Sad for me, though. I was a victim, and my mom was too, since she let me hang out with "worldly kids" because there were no dubs in our neighborhood.

• donkey
    donkey

"Mark" is the sound made by a dog with with a lisp.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Bark bark!

Mmmmark!

Englishman.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr
    "Branded" almost.

Exactly! And a brand doesn't go away easily. They just won't come out and call it what it is, which is shunning. Even in the KH "marked" ones get the cold shoulder, at least that's been my experience.

Someone earlier said that the elders first meet with the dub to be marked. Not always. Many times it comes as a total suprise to the mark-ee. Individual elders will also unilaterally deliver a marking in some cases. They can take a local needs part or a regular Service Meeting part right out of the Kingdom Ministry (or Kingdom Service, whatever they're calling it these days) and put enough spin on it and the congregation comes away thinking they just heard a marking talk. Even a simple comment during the Watchtower Study from the right elder can be a marking talk.

Now of course in these cases they have to put a little follow-up on it to make it stick. A "marking" is never a one-blow - um, assault, let's call it what it is - the marking talk is just the first shot fired, the tracer round to get everyone's attention. The follow-up shots come from elders' wives, m/s's, and others "in the know" and we all know how quickly and efficiently the congregation's grapevine works. And of course as the intel travels through the congregation's gossip network, the verdict is always guilty and the offense grows into a grandiose sin against the holy spirit itself.

You can't get any more cultish than the practice of marking.

Mike. used to be marked but some GoJo took it off.

• setfreefinally
    setfreefinally

La Capra,

You have SO hit the nail on the head with that post. Excellent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit