Favourite Quirky / Low Budget / Non-Mainstream Movies

by Simon 49 Replies latest social entertainment

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I hesitate to recommend my favorite movie of all time because it is really, really, really weird, bizarre, and esoteric.

It is written and directed by Charlie Kaufman.
    Kaufman is a genius at off-beat, meta-lunatic story lines, a surreal settings.

He wrote such films as:
    BEING JOHN MALKOVICH
    ETERNAL SUNSHINE of the SPOTLESS MIND.
    _____
    Unless you love (not "like") the above films--you shouldn't tackle the one I'm about to suggest.
    The lead actor is Philip Seymore Hoffman.
    Hoffman is Caden Cotard. Cotard is a theater director who wins a MacArthur genius grant. Instead of making his life easier, the money gives him the opportunity to indulge his neurosis. Besides being a hypochondriac, he's obsessed by the notion of re-creating in a giant warehouse (drum roll please.........) New York City in miniature and depicting not only everybody he knows, but everybody else.
    I know, I know--that doesn't sound exciting. But "weird" is a fascinating plunge into the Alice in Wonderland rabbit hole of the lunatic genius imagination of Charlie Kaufman.
    I will attach a video of just one scene.
    One of Cotard's love interests is in love with a house she's always had her eye on.
    It is perpetually burning.
    The scene (in context of watching the movie) gave me chill bumps (a thrill) for the monumental abstraction and insanity of its daring to be normal.
    Without context, it will probably leave you scratching your head and wondering if I should be locked up someplace secure for suggesting the movie.
    _____
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFwS_Dqd-IU

____

SYNECDOCHE NEW YORK is the title.

(Note: what does the word mean? It is a figure of speech in which part of something ----Cotard's play about everybody in New York-- represents the whole.)

I doubt one person in a thousand can "get" the film and love it as much as I do.
    You have to have a kink in your DNA and a twist to the brain pan.
    I think it is simply a brilliant masterpiece.

• nonjwspouse
  • TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Muscle Shoals is awesome!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Simon, I want to thank you for your recommendation of TIME LAPSE. Good pick!

Like you, I and the other crew members aboard the UADNA Orbiting Space Platform are fans of time machine and time travel stories. In fact, if it wasn't for the secrets of time revealed in the first five books of the Codex Sinaiticus, the UADNA Orbiting Space Platform couldn't have been built; Space-X tech will only take one so far.

I'd like to get my furry paws on a copy of "RESET" - the time-travel film made up there in Alberta just a couple of years ago; I've emailed the production team to see if I can buy a US-compatible DVD or Blu-Ray. i hope hey come through, but it seems that right now they are mostly interested in showing screenings at film festivals.

I'm thinking I *might* have seen "PRIMER" a couple of years ago... or maybe a couple of years from now???

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

for smiddy3:

• snugglebunny
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Another of my favourites is Near Dark (1987). It's a vampire film but with all the gothic aspects removed.

It's such an original film and the acting by Bill Paxton and Lance Henriksen was very good.

It was a flop in cinemas but it gained a cult following thanks to video rentals, dvds and blu-rays.

Here's a short documentary about the making of the film. It was director Katheryn Bigelow's debut film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf1Fmn5zBzQ

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Up here on the UADNA Orbiting Space Platform (built using tips from the Pentateuch) I have Amazon Prime and a smart 256-inch TV and I found some titles that I think are worth sharing - they were FREE.

We'll start with a short: "One Minute Time Machine" (2015) running time 5 minutes. It is a comedy, and it is excellent!

Then check out "B4" (2016) running time 50 minutes. Folded space/time in a parking garage.

Lastly, "Black Web" (2013) running time 88 minutes; about a guy in the very (VERY) early days of The Internet who discovers his own obituary.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

"The Spanish Prisoner" (Steve Martin plays the lead, but it's not a comedy). David Mamet, so the lines are all intentionally delivered a little "over-the-top". Quirky little caper film that keeps you guessing until the end.

Not completely "low budget" but a cult (no pun intended) classic in my own mind: "Clue" (yes, based on the board game)

Was considered crap quality when it came out, and didn't make any money. That movie gets funnier every time I watch it. The ensemble casting could not have been better (Tim Curry, Madeline Kahn, Christopher Lloyd, Michael McKean, Martin Mull, etc.) the jokes could not have been more corny or better timed. In all honesty, I'm proud to say I could probably verbally follow along with every line of the movie. Many of those lines make regular appearances in my everyday banter. ("Split up?!" "One thing?" "I didn't do it!", etc....I could go on and on.)

• Prefect
    Prefect

Streets of Fire is a 1984 film directed by Walter Hill and co-written by Hill and Larry Gross. It is described in its opening credits and posters as "A Rock & Roll Fable. The dialogue in the film sounds it was written by a monkey with a typewriter. So bad its a great film. Never get tired of watching it. GREAT MUSIC.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit