Favourite Quirky / Low Budget / Non-Mainstream Movies

by Simon 49 Replies latest social entertainment

• flipper
    flipper

XANTHIPPE- I hear you. I really liked The Abyss as well, great movie ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

The Abyss is one of my favorites. Always remember it because of the acting and the deep dark tank they shot in. But my fondest memories of it are - the rat got saved! Nothing like pet rat love.

Saw 2012. Sacrificial love at it's best.

Lathe of heaven. Confusing film for me.

Duel. Tense and relentless.

This isn't a time movie but it's cute and funny. First done as a play, The History of Future Folk. The two comedians that wrote and starred in it are hilarious.

Not many time movies can hold up to scrutiny but as long as the acting is good and the plot isn't bad, I'm ok with it.

Found this while looking for something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBkBS4O3yvY

• flipper
    flipper

DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED- Yeah Duel is a great movie with Dennis Weaver. I have that movie on DVD. The truck driver chasing him ? Awesome. If I'm not mistaken I believe that was Stephen Spielberg's first movie he produced

• Giordano
    Giordano

Le Dernier Combat (The Last Battle) 1985. B and W very low budget.

French but since no one can speak you don't need closed caption

"In the post-apocalyptic future, only a few humans are left. No one is able to speak; the film contains no dialogue, and characters communicate non-verbally. A determined loner befriends a reclusive older man and these two battle against vicious thugs for food, shelter and life itself."

Screen shots that show the look and feel of the movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085426/mediaindex?ref_=tt_pv_mi_sm

• mentalclarity
    mentalclarity

Memento (2000) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFuFFdK7i44

Abre los Ojos (1997) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBtnPuB0x3U The remake was Vanilla Sky and it was awful. The original is much better.

Requiem for a Dream (2000) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nU7dC9bIDg

Not sure if these qualify as low budget.

Thanks for the recommendations! I love intense movies that make me think.

*Fight Club is amazing!

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Duel was indeed Spielberg's first.. one of the great plot devices was he never showed the driver. It was as if the truck itself was the villain. Its an intense movie!

Im going to take an unpopular stand (rare for me i know)... the abyss was abysmal. I like the first 3/4 of it but the end was the laziest most poorly written nonsense i have ever seen. It ruined an otherwise good movie. Had to get that off my chest.

Saw is an interesting nominee. It was indeed small budget horror and was so popular it spawned a series. Im not huge into the gore franchise but it was a movie that captured my interest and kept you hanging on till the end to see the resolution...

• Simon
    Simon

The Abyss wasn't a low-budget movie - it had big budget special effects and stars.

For me the beauty of a low-budget movie is that it relies more on the acting and the plot in order to be good. That's what (can) make them so good.

That one minute time-machine is brilliant! :)

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

But y'know what I love? Obscure but brilliant movies - yayyy me too!

So, here's a chance to share some movie-gold that other people might not have seen - hmm, let's see ...

The VVitch (2016) - Robert Eggers's feature film debut about a supernatural force haunting an English pilgrim family. The family begin to fall apart and turn on each other in the 17th century New England wilderness.

All the cast speak in time-period accurate 17th century Yorkshire English. This may be easy for Yorkshireman Ralph Ineson but was no doubt considerably harder for American Anya Taylor-Joy and Scottish Kate Dickie. Nevertheless, the acting's fantastic!

It was made on a small budget of $4m and took just over $40m in cinemas. It features no CGI as far as I know. A lot of the budget went on the accurate period costumes and set.

For me, the main aspects of this film are the tension, the acting and the historically accurate dialogue and costumes.

I thoroughly recommend it.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Pretty funny, Days of FP, very clever little film!

• TD
    TD

Memento - 2000 - Fairly low budget - Quirky because the scenes are shown in reverse order, tracing the story back to the beginning.

The Blair Witch Project 1999 - Ultimate low budget - Not scary in the classical sense, but I did find myself thinking about it the next time I slept alone in the woods.

Lost in Translation 2003 - Fairly low budget. - The story meanders like a dream, so much so that I can't really state a lucid reason why I like it. I'm not alone here apparently.

Napoleon Dynamite 2004 - Very low budget - No real plot here either. You either love it or you hate it. One of the more quotable movies I've seen because of the quirkyness

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit