Favourite Quirky / Low Budget / Non-Mainstream Movies

by Simon 49 Replies latest social entertainment

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I tend to go for the 'International' type films. Some of my faves are Jamaican ones:

Countryman

The Lunatic

Also some Japanese like

Ghost in the Shell cartoon

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - Animie and actual film.

Hollywood films bore me to death I'm afraid. Nothing against my American friends but I'm bored with American films as I find the culture different from mine yet weirdly similar. (Clint Eastwood is the exception).

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

"Primer" was the first movie that came to mind when I read Simon's original post.

Another great low-budget film made in Texas is the movie "Office Space". Sometimes I think that movie is the story of my life.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Omg how could i forget uhf???? Im a huge Al fan (my whole fam is)... great supporting actor role by michael richards long before he was famous

office space is def a FANTASTIC movie. That first half is legendary and the soundtrack is epic too... “yea... think im gonna need you to move your desk”

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Yes UHF is on my favorite list of all time, it's a comic masterpiece, can't wait to get it on Blu-ray. I also really enjoyed Buster Keaton's silent film "The Cameraman". Cute love story with brilliant sight gags, laugh out loud homor and twist ending.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Robinson Caruso on Mars, yep it was fun. I saw it in a drive-in with my family when I was a boy.

I love;

THZ1138 1971 George Lucas' seminal work with Duval. trailer

Duel 1971 , by Spielberg. (a student film made for TV) Dennis Weaver is a man driving alone in a little red car menaced by a big rig truck that wants to kill him by running him off the road. It's hard to believe such a simple idea could build such tension. Available on Youtube trailer

Los Ultimos Dais: The Last Days 2013 . Awesome movie. Eng. Subs. 2013. A mysterious epidemic spreads across the planet; humanity develops an irrational fear of open spaces which causes death within seconds. trailer

41 2012, Australian indie about a guy who finds a hole in the floor of a motel room that leads to yesterday. He attempts to change time and learns something life changing. No one is beautiful in this movie and he is the most "every man" you could ever see. Its unique. trailer

The Navigator 1988, not the Disney "Flight of the Navigator". Men from the time of the black plague in England enter a cave on a quest to find divine intervention in keeping the scourge from spreading to their village. When they exit the cave they are in the 20th century, NZ of all places. They are on a mission to place a church bell on a cathedral. Its very good. trailer

Anyone heard of these?

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Not exactly time travel, but the protagonist changes multiple future realities with his dreams. It’s got cheap sets, no-name actors, the cheesiest 70s music score ever, mind control, a mad scientist AND aliens.

The Lathe of Heaven is a 1980 film adaptation of the 1971 science fiction novel The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin. It was produced in 1979 as part of New York City public television station WNET's Experimental TV Lab project.

In Portland, Oregon, in the near future, George Orr is charged with misuse of prescription medications. He volunteers for psychiatric care to avoid prosecution, and is assigned to the care of licensed oneirologist William Haber. Orr has known since age 17 that his dreams change reality, and tries to prevent himself from dreaming because he fears their effects.

Haber initially considers Orr's fear as a delusional symptom of neurosis or psychosis. He puts Orr into a hypnotic trance, and encourages him to have an "effective dream" to record his brain function.

When he realizes Orr is telling the truth, Haber begins to use Orr's "effective dreams" to first create a prestigious, well-funded institute run by himself, then to attempt to solve various social problems.

Only after numerous failed attempts to "make the world right", Haber admits to Orr he believes in Orr's power. Having analyzed Orr's supremely complex dreaming brainwaves, Haber begins creating a machine that will similarly enhance his own and allow him to remake reality directly.

Orr turns to lawyer Heather LeLache for help in getting out of his government-mandated treatments with Haber. LeLache doubts Orr's sanity, but agrees to help him, eventually becoming an ally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8VRbaVNvSA

• flipper
    flipper

This low budget film " The Big Kahuna " with Danny Devito & Kevin Spacey is really good

A great movie for EX-JW's to watch as well . Won't give anything away but watch this snippet from it and you'll get an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwyqcEjMMI8.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    smiddy3
    Anybody remember "Robinson Crusoe On Mars ?" I saw that years ago on TV and have never seen it anywhere since.

I LOVE THAT MOVIE - I have it as a Video File if your interested.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Lol xan, abyss is the exact opposite of a low budget quirky film 😂😂 In fact, the special effects with the creatures making the face out if water and exploring were cutting edge :)

The Abyss $43-45 million in 1989.

Titanic $200 million in 1997.

Both Cameron films, big difference in budget.

I think it was quirky, really unusual sci fi and it's a favourite film of mine so two out of three isn't bad. I've no idea what would be considered low budget for a movie.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Bad Ronald. Cult made-for-TV-movie. Original airdate October 23, 1974

Nerdy only child Ronald, living with single, sickly mom - forced to hide in walls after pushing/ killing mocking kid. Mother later dies after going to hospital for an operation. House sold to family with 3 daughters, while teenaged Ronald still hiding in secret space.

Described by Adam Carolla on radio show "Loveline" 9-16-2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2g8D6m8Vi0&frags=wn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit