What is the longest distance you drove to attend a summer Convention?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Stuck in the middle37
    Stuck in the middle37
    We drove from the San Francisco bay area to the 58 New York convention. I had a great time with good friends meet some girls from Florida,went down to time squire in the evening. It truly was one of the high lights of my life as a witness (over 60 yrs.). The convention was good too.
  • sparky1
    sparky1

In 1969 my family drove from Massachusetts to Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles for the convention; a distance of over 3000 miles. We camped about a 2 hour drive from the assembly! That was the original 'long, hot summer.' We spent a month traveling and visiting relatives. If it weren't for the time wasted at the assembly, it would have been a great vacation.

• Ding
    Ding

I find this topic depressing.

Think of all the time and money wasted to get "new light" that became "old light" not long after.

• blondie
    blondie

I'm just glad I got out when I did and use my money now wisely.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

My non jw dad drove us from Whittier California to NY in 1958. I was 11 and my 2 brothers were 8 and 5. About the same distance as 'newboy and 3rdgen' 2,400 miles. My non jw dad visited his family in Philly while we suffered in NY.

just saying!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

RULES & REGULATIONS:

I remember being in a car group that drove to Philly from the NY area in the 1980s.

The temperature was over ninety degrees and the humidity felt like 100%. Everybody was miserable and we got nothing out of the whole thing..The people I was with were older and couldn’t deal with it physically. We ended up missing Sunday and driving back home and I couldn’t have been happier.. The whole thing was a tremendous waste of time and gas. The only good thing was us eating out in restaurants.

I can’t imagine putting myself through this misery now. Those days are over.

• hillfy333
    hillfy333

I live in Western Australia. In 1973 we had an international convention in Sydney Australia. The journey was around 4500 Kilometers. On one of the days, i think it was a saturday, we had a bomb scare during the afternoon session, and were asked to vacate our seats without panic until the bomb scare was cleared of danger. It turned out to be a false alarm. Once the convention was over, we again travelled over four thousand kms back home.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

We also attended a convention in Adelaide and drove from Melbourne in the 1960`s which was about 727 km`s

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit