The Watchtower—Study Edition  |  April 2023

by RULES & REGULATIONS 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Not only should the WT be blamed for the "false expectations'' and the ''waiting accounts'' but also the New Testament/Covenant Bible itself for it teaches the underlying false expectations (including urging people to wait expectantly) and the false teachings of the nearness of the great tribulation, Armageddon, coming of Christ, and a new order. See the following NT Bible verses: Matthew 24:42-44, Matthew 25:13, Revelation 1:1, 22:18, 20. The Bible is also to blame.

If it wasn't for what the 'Holy' Scriptures Bible (both the OT and NT) itself also says, I would never have accepted the false expectations proclaimed by the WT and I would never had accepted the WT's teaching of urging (through its literature and public meetings) me (and others) to wait for the proclaimed events to happen.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

DISILLUSIONED JW:

I see what you mean about the bible itself also being to blame for people being urged to wait expectantly.

I don’t think though that the early bible writers meant that people shouldn’t live their lives. That seems to be something that more modern day religions have adopted - along with trying to micromanage people like we see the JW religion trying to do - either having suggested that people remain single or don’t have children or telling people not to get college/careers, etc.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

LongHairGal I agree with your post in which you replied to my post, except that I think that the synoptic gospels portray Jesus as teaching the following: that people should focus on kingdom interests (put kingdom interests first in their lives) if they wish to enter the Kingdom of God and receive its blessings instead of being punished when the Son of Man comes.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

DISILLUSIONED JW:

But people (men) back then had their occupations. I don’t know if this means ‘they didn’t put the kingdom first’. Maybe in their minds they did and used every opportunity they had to preach.

Also, I don’t think there is any comparison with the situation of the ancient world and the modern day one. If JWs or anybody else today wants to use the excuse of ancient bible writings to keep themselves in a full time ministry - let them knock themselves out.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW
    LongHairGal, according to the synoptic gospels, supposedly Jesus told a rich young man (who according to one gospel was also a ruler) that if he wanted to be perfect that he should sell everything he has and give to the poor (Matthew 19:20-27; Mark 10:17-28; Luke 18:18-27). Luke 18:28 (1984 NWT) says 'But Peter said: "Look! We have left our own things and followed you." Matthew 19:28-29, Mark 10:29-30, and Luke 18:29-30 say that Jesus said in reply that Christ's followers would be richly compensated and richly rewarded in the future for their current actions (including their giving up their belongings for the sake of the kingdom).
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Any PIMO's, lurkers or any current doubting JW's please hang-on to such books ''live forever'',, ''revelation climax''', ''reasoning from the scriptures'' or 1984 WT's or whatever you can. Hang on to them with your cold, dead hands.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I remember several years ago the congregations wanted people to turn in their older publications for good reason, to destroy them Their past history condemns them.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

FedUpJW;

"I would think there is a pretty big difference between waiting a long time and RECEIVING something promised and waiting a long time and finally dying without EVER RECEIVING what you were promised."

Just an outstanding comment. If I could smash that like button 10,000 times I would.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

My mom and sister are very devout JWs and (and my mother's mom and my mom's stepfather died as devout JWs) yet as far as I can tell they all have kept all of their old WT books (including the bound volumes). For example, my mom has kept her own books going back to the 1940s. Furthermore, my grandparents (my mother's mom and my mother's stepfather) WT books included Rutherford books from the 1930s and my mom has inherited those books and kept them.

After I stopped believing in the JW religion I sold off (for a profit on eBay) many of the WT books (including ones by Rutherford and Russell) I had accumulated.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

""The Sunk Cost Fallacy is heavy with older JW'S. But new JW'S especially the Pimo's are cutting their losses and going Pomo.""

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit