The Watchtower—Study Edition  |  April 2023

by RULES & REGULATIONS 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

STUDY ARTICLE 19

How Can We Strengthen Our Faith in Jehovah’s Promise of a New World?

17 Many servants of Jehovah have applied Jehovah’s counsel to “keep in expectation”​—even for decades. Louise, for example, began serving Jehovah in 1939. She says: “At that time, I thought Armageddon would come before I finished high school. That didn’t happen. Over the years, I found it helpful to read what I call ‘the waiting accounts’​—the Bible narratives of Noah, Abraham, Joseph, and others who had to wait a long time before receiving the promised reward from Jehovah. Remaining in expectation has kept me and others focused on the certainty of the nearness of the new world.” Many other longtime worshippers of Jehovah agree!

Poor Louise! She's been serving Jehovah since 1939. That was 83 years ago. Louise is still trudging along, applying Jehovah's counsel to ''keep in expectation.''

She has read the Bible accounts of Noah, Abraham, Joseph and many others who waited a long time to receive a promise from Jehovah. If they waited, so can she.

So, who does Louise blame for the '' false expectations'' and the ''waiting accounts''? Does Louise blame the Watchtower Society throughout its history for writing false warnings in the Awake, Watchtower Magazines and Books that announced the promise of a new world?

No, she blames herself for reading into things. She says: “At that time, I thought Armageddon would come before I finished high school. That didn’t happen.''

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Noah, Abraham, Joseph, had to wait a long time before receiving the promised reward.

I would think there is a pretty big difference between waiting a long time and RECEIVING something promised and waiting a long time and finally dying without EVER RECEIVING what you were promised.

If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in highschool and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone!" Awake! 1969 May 22 p.15

Of course WT has purged that Awake from it's past and only people who may have somehow kept an original will be able to prove they made those promises.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    Of course WT has purged that Awake from it's past and only people who may have somehow kept an original will be able to prove they made those promises.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    the Bible narratives of Noah, Abraham, Joseph

Those characters had the benefit of being fictitious, so waiting was far less tedious for them.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?
    Time after time the org. Gets the rank and file all riled up the end is imminent, and when it doesn't happen they will have talks about how we need to have patience and keep in expectation. Then repeat the cycle
  • hoser
    hoser

Is Louise still alive?

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore
    The Sunk Cost Fallacy is heavy with older JW'S. But new JW'S especially the Pimo's are cutting their losses and going Pomo.
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

RULES & REGULATIONS:

I wonder what ‘Louise’s’ situation is? What’s printed in your post doesn’t mention anything. - If she’s comfortable financially like some Witnesses are (maybe she inherited $) then she’s coasting along and probably enjoys some socializing with other older JWs

Like FOOLEDNOMORE says, The sunk cost fallacy also figures into this and if older persons are fairly content they would see no reason to ever leave the religion. But for younger people who have to make their way in life, that’s a different story.

• Gorb
    Gorb

Sect.

G.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Poor Louise, No doubt she was influenced by the WT book “ Children “ in 1941. It was written asa dialogue between a young couple explaining their faith. In the end they make this decision.

Ar- mageddon js surely near, and during that time the Lord will clean off the earth every- thing that offends and is disagreeable. Then, by His grace, we shall begin our life with a greater vision and prolonged joy. Now we see by faith the great THEOCRAUY, and we are wholly and unreservedly committed to that righteous government. From now on we shall have our heart devotion fixed on THE THEOCBACY, knowing that soon we shall journey for ever together in the earth. Our hope is that within a few years our marriage may be consummated and, by the Lord’s grace, we shall have sweet children that will be an honor to the Lord. We can well defer our marriage until lasting peace comes to

the earth. Now we must add nothing to our burdens, but be free and equipped to serve the Lord. When THE THEOCRACY is in full sway it will not be burdensome to have a family. Then we may often walk through these broad fields, amidst the beautiful for- ests and environments, and will walk with our beloved children by our side and tell them all we have learned from the Lord,”

So the advice is to stay single because the end is SO close... that was 82 years ago ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit