Are Jehovah's Witnesses marriages even legit?

by Joliette 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I found that my marriage was influenced by the belief that the end was near. dont know what difference it would have made if it wasnt, of course.

love is strange.

• Cangie
    Cangie
    Once I was reinstated some years ago, I was surprised to hear a number of "sisters" express their envy of my single status (I have been divorced from an elder who abused me for over 20 years.) Several even told me that if something ever happened to their husbands, they would never marry again. That is not exactly a good report of the happy, loving state of marriage in the organization.
  • flipper
    flipper

I know years ago in my first JW marriage ( I was 19 years old, she just turned 18 years old ) I felt pressured to marry because it was the only way to " legally " be able to have sex inside the JW organization without getting cut off from your family and DFed . Of course we were in love at the time- however the WT Society's strict rules on younger people not having sex outside of marriage I believe causes young JW's to get married WAY too young and at that age a person isn't emotionally mature enough to cope with the adult stresses of a marriage.

And then with the patriarchal rules of the WT Society there isn't any fairness within JW marriages - no equality - just the dumb headship " principle " which puts women and children at huge disadvantages. So yes I agree with you Joliette- JW marriages suck many times. And then the WT Society tries to control what kind of sex goes on inside the bedroom. I mean if my wife and I want to swing from the chandelier - what business is that of the WT leaders ? Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

Like Ucantnome I married in 1974 after just having been baptized in 1973 to have someone to go through Armageddon with, which was supposed to happen in 1975. My husband was a born-in and I was newly converted. As time went on I felt like one of those that Cangie mentioned; ie., I would not remarry if something happened to my husband. After 41 years of marriage I am very happy to be married to this man. I feel a great deal of compassion for him and for he has had to endure because of his JW upbringing. He was humble enough to go for counseling for himself and our marriage. It was getting counseling, ironically from a sister who was a Witness, that was the beginning of his waking up. Now I am more in love with him than ever and I can't imagine my life without him.

Reopened Mind

• Sabin
    Sabin
    BerryGerry, that is a good point that you bring up about the 3 cord. The other one is that they say "only marry in the Lord". That's Jesus isn't it, not JW's. So as long as your potential mate believes in the Lord Jesus & is working towards his example I don't see what the hell they are banging on about. At the end of the day it's just another controlling method they use.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit