Are Jehovah's Witnesses marriages even legit?

by Joliette 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Joliette
    Joliette
    I ask this because of the circumstances behind why they get married and who they get married by. I know people say that they are really in love, they love Jehovah, etc, but are these marriages even legit. I've talked to older JW's sister who are now widowed, some of them say that they were trapped in a marriages.
  • tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd
    They are legal marriages, at least in the US. It does suck to be "stuck" in a marriage though.
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    They are legal in Canada. Being legit is another matter. LOL
  • sir82
    sir82
    What do you mean "legit"? Legal? Yes they are legal, so long as they follow the law.
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

They are legally legit but unfortunately some may not be genuine. I think some of these kids and adults get married just to have sex. Sex is great but after the wedding life kicks in.

The ONLY thing good that came from my upbringing in the JW cult was I met my wonderful spouse and had great kids. I am grateful for that everyday.

• Joliette
    Joliette
    Maybe I should have titled this legal. But the marriages don't seem real to me, seems like its based on a fantasy. Like my dad told me recently the only thing holding his marriage together was Jehovah. I'm like really????
  • Joliette
    Joliette
    Toesup sex is actually very overrated, well for women it is.
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Joliette I speculate that the only thing holding many marriages together is the assets they have or the lack thereof. There is nothing special about a JW wedding.
  • sir82
    sir82

sex is actually very overrated, well for women it is.

Then you're doing it wrong.

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd
    sex is actually very overrated, well for women it is.

Either my wife is really good at faking it and faking desire or that's not the case for all women. :)

my dad told me recently the only thing holding his marriage together was Jehovah.

Unfortunately, I think that's the case for many JW marriages. I know my parents were in that situation for many years while I was growing up. I'm not saying they should have divorced or I would have been better off if they had, but I saw some stuff that I wish I hadn't also. I will say it impressed on me my mom's patience and forgiveness.

I think too many non-JW marriages end too soon because people don't understand what marriage entails and are too self-centered, but I also thing too many JW marriages don't end soon enough.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit