Are Jehovah's Witnesses marriages even legit?

by Joliette 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Bugslife
    Bugslife
    • Illuminated

That's interesting Joliette. Why would you not mind being "trapped" if you believed it was "the truth"?

• I can't speak for her but for me it was choosing the wrong mate and essentially being stuck ..
  • Sail Away
    Sail Away
    Most, if not all JW marriages are arranged marriages, IMO.
  • GrownMidget
    GrownMidget
    Now that you mentioned it... Everybody I ever was with was always arranging some sort of get together parties with this one brother and sister that had to be together because they were "perfect match".
  • Sail Away
    Sail Away
    I'm speaking of marriages arranged by the organization-- only marry a believer in good standing who will be a "good spiritual head" or a good "spiritual, submissive wife" based on the org's monitoring and criteria. Check with the elders about your intended's standing in the congregation. Follow all the courting/chaperoning rules. Group dating only. Don't even sit next to a brother / sister at the KH unless you are engaged. Don't dance too close at congregation "get-togethers" (a thing of the past). No kissing other than maybe a peck on the cheek. Essentially, you don't choose your future partner yourself, the org does it for you. Really no different than marrying someone who you never met who was chosen by your family. JWs go into marriage blind. Been there, done that.
  • OneFingerSalute
    OneFingerSalute

If the government authority in any given locality says they are legitimate, they are.

• OneFingerSalute
  • kaik
    kaik
    Legality of the marriage is determined by country laws and regulations, and it will differ from country to country. In Czech Republic, all marriages are secular and civic contract which must be filed at the local municipal court. Even religious service and wedding ceremony requires official signature by the municipal clerk. While elders can perform marriage ceremony in the KH which is considered religious site, the validity of the marriage is determined by signature of the municipal clerk. Therefore, marriage licensing and validity will differ across the globe.
  • prologos
    prologos
    excerpt from our marriage talk , 25 years ago, " some (in the world) marry the one they love, here, we [hopefully] love the one we marry. aside thoughts in brackets.
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Marriage happens for a lot of reasons besides true love. They always have and always will. Bad marriages exist everywhere for many reasons too. Legit? Yeah. Desirable? Not for many. People stay for reasons that are their own. Sometimes we leave them for reasons others would not deem legit.

Thats life.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

I used to believe in JW virgin marriage.

Now, I think that a couple should live together for 2 years before making that monumental decision (without pregnancy).

As for religionism's imposition - Dub's copy Christendom's (Hello FDS, and not copying Christendom) interpretation of the 3-fold cord - i.e. that the third cord means God is in your marriage.

Calling bullshit - that verse has nothing to do with God or marriage.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/robertcrosby/2012/10/the-most-misquoted-bible-passage-at-weddings/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit