Sudden General Election in UK to be held June 8th 2017

by freddo 167 Replies latest social current

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I was surprised Theresa May didn't resign immediately.

She could struggle on for years if the Tories see it as being in their own interest. Or she could be gone in hours. I give up trying to predict, politics is crazy now.

The DUP are looking forward to the Trump visit. Iain Paisley Jnr. Is best mates apparently.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Hi Laika,

Actually Scandinavia demonstrates that all sorts of currency options are viable.

Denmark - uses its own currency pegged to the Euro

Sweden - uses its own currency with a floating exchange rate as an EU member

Finland - uses the Euro

Norway - uses its own currency with a floating exchange rate as a non-EU member

Scotland as an indepdent country could peg its own currency to the pound, or peg to the Euro, or have its own floating exchange rate, or use the pound or join the Euro. All of these are viable options that are directly comparable to what many other countries do around the world. Scotland as an independent country would choose the best option at the time, and as an independent country it would have the ability to change, as other countries do all the time. There's nothing particuarly remarkable about it, unless you buy into the notion that Scots would be singularly inept at managing and choosing between the many currency options available in the modern world.

• John Davis
    John Davis

Can someone explain British Elections? Do they vote for MPs or a party or what?

• Laika
    Laika

Sbf, Finland has had years of economic struggle thanks to forced austerity from being on the Euro, they have only recently started to grow again.

I don't think Scotland would be 'singularly inept' a lot of governments are inept at managing their economies, not least the Tory one we've kept in power for 7+ years. I would probably vote for Scottish independence if they pledged their own currency (were I scottish of course!) so I hardly think you're incapable, but without that commitment I probably wouldn't take the risk.

• Laika
    Laika
    Can someone explain British Elections? Do they vote for MPs or a party or what?

Hi John, we vote for MPs who usually belong to a specific party. (so sort of both I guess)

• John Davis
    John Davis

Thanks. Then do the MPs vote themselves as who they want the Prime Minister too be?

• scotsman
    scotsman
    with slight varieties in method, it's party members who select the party leaders.
  • cofty
    cofty
    what sort of self-respecting people really thinks the only viable future they can have in the world is to reply on handouts from someone else?

It's not about receiving handouts from elsewhere. Scotland is a part of the UK, that's the whole point. The economy of different parts of the UK has gone up and down throughout history. The problem is yours because you see yourself as a separate nation.

As an independent nation under the auspices of the EU life in Scotland would be horrendous. It would make Greece look prosperous.

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

EU is just a way for a few states (France, Germany) to get rich on the back of smaller satellite states.

First they make sure the smaller states have no way to regulate their imports and then outcompete local production with mass-produced goods; then when they go bankrupt (like Greece) they destroy the economy with "austerity" and transfer control of the important assets to large finance centered in the big countries like Germany.

This is why the Euro is so important. It removes any control of finance from the smaller countries and ensure the undemocratic elements that control the EU can dictate their financial policy.

EU is a supranational mafia family controlled by international finance. Now they have set their eyes on Scotland... I hope England do what is right to protect the Scots.

• Simon
    Simon

For the people who think that Scotland would be viable on their own, remember that some of the companies operating there do so because it's low cost while giving access to the large market of England. If there was a border between them, some of those companies might not chose to be there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit