Currently, Who Is Your Favorite Politician??

by minimus 102 Replies latest social current

• Euphemism
  • minimus
    minimus

Nina---we're discussing "current events".

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

M&M's trying to get bagged....gotta love it.

• onacruse
    onacruse

None.

I vote (for 2 whole years now! ), but I don't vote for politicians; I vote about budgetary measures.

Craig

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Nestor Pistor, and the guy who keeps picking out of the dumpster behind my apartment.

• minimus
    minimus

Craig---Do you not vote for political issues due to "conscience"? It is ok, you know. The Watchtower says so.

• onacruse
    onacruse

@ min.

Ya know, I don't vote for politicians because over 30 years of (somewhat) informed observation I've seen virtually each and every one of them, once in office, vacillate and compromise on almost every issue they touted as "this is where I stand, and I ain't budging." I dislike generalizations, but it seems to me that a politician will basically say whatever it takes to get elected, and then they proceed along whatever policy is expedient to their re-election.

otoh, I do vote on political measures and budget issues because, imho, that's where I can have the most effective voice in the direction of my government. They can't spend money they don't have, and they can't enforce laws that are rejected by the majority of voters.

I'm sure my perspective is rather simplistic, but, for now, it's the best I can do.

Craig

• minimus
    minimus

ona---Makes sense to me----2 bad you're not running for mayor. I might vote for ya.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Trotting out 'ol Bob H again:

Politics is just a name for the way we get things done... without fighting. We dicker and compromise and everybody thinks he has received a raw deal, but somehow after a tedious amount of talk we come up with some jury-rigged way to do it without getting anybody's head bashed in. That's politics.

One way or another, any government which remains in power is a representative government. If your city government is a crooked machine, then it is because you and your neighbors prefer it that way - prefer it to the effort of running your own affairs. Hitler's government was a popular government; the vast majority of Germans preferred the rule of gangsters to the effort of thinking and doing for themselves. They abdicated their franchise.

If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and no measures you want to vote for ... but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong. If this is too blind for your taste, consult some well-meaning fool (there is always one around) and ask his advice. Then vote the other way. This enables you to be a good citizen (if such is your wish) without spending the enormous amount of time on it that a truly intelligent exercise of franchise requires.

I like John McCain, Al Gore post-2000, Bill Bradley, Earl Blumenauer of Oregon, Bernie Sanders of Vermont, Jesse Ventura, Ron Wyden of Oregon (wouldn't hang out with him, but he puts in the hours and pays attention), Jim Jeffords, and Jerry Brown. Anyone who can come up with a commonality there, let me know what it is.

Oh, and in 2004, I am voting against Bush even if the only candidate is blind in one eye and can't see outta the other.

• onacruse
    onacruse

LOL...please send a donation to my campaign fund...I absolutely assure you that I'll use your money for a totally worthy purpose (btw, my rent is coming due next week ).

Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit