Hi noobie here.

by Grags 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Half banana
    Half banana

Hi Grags and welcome to the site. Your question about the boat incident is easily explained.

The Bible includes some of the variable writings found in many contemporary handwritten documents which were circulating in the early centuries of our calendar. Many of them refer to a particular but fictitious event. These documents were in the nature of stories to teach a moral tale or illustrate the miraculous power of the hero in question. Remember that Dionysus (who was crucified and turned water into wine) and Mithra (the Great Shepherd) were also "christs" with each cult lauding their own 'saviour'.

The earliest Christian writings did not contain the name Jesus such as in the Shepherd of Hermas which was the most popular Christian text for two centuries but never got put into the Bible canon (the approved books). The Bible books were only later selected by the Roman Church mainly around the early fourth century but the canon was not determined for at least another century and even today it is not universal.

Do ask your study conductor what happens to a JW who has got baptised and then changes his mind about his choice of religion.

Out of genuine regard for your peace of mind, please believe me when I say that membership to Jehovah's Witnesses in about 50% of cases brings about appalling family rifts and turmoil. Unfortunately I know from personal experience.

• Sabin
    Sabin

Hello Grags, it is so nice to meet you. How appropriate your avatar is for this time of the year. Your a Christmas tree.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Welcome Grags, you're in for a bumpy ride with your J.W. study conductor when you start asking questions which highlight his hierarchy's incredibly blatant false teachings.

For example: J.W.'s have been taught, and in turn teach others like you, that there are two classes of Christians - those who are in the New Covenant, and those who are not. You will be told that you are not in it, based on this -

Org Falsehood: w98 2/1 p. 11 par. 13 Jehovah Is a God of Covenants - "What was the standing of such proselytes? When Jehovah made his covenant, it was only with Israel; those of the "vast mixed company," although present, were not named as participants."

Bible Truth: Deuteronomy 29:10 - 15 - "YOU are all of YOU stationed today before Jehovah YOUR God, the heads of YOUR tribes, YOUR older men and YOUR officers, every man of Israel, YOUR little ones, YOUR wives, and your alien resident who is in the midst of your camp, from the gatherer of your wood to the drawer of your water, in order for you to enter into the covenant of Jehovah your God and his oath, which Jehovah your God is concluding with you today; for the purpose of establishing you today as his people and that he may prove himself your God, just as he has promised you and just as he has sworn to your forefathers Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. "Now it is not with YOU alone that I am concluding this covenant and this oath, but it is with him who is here standing with us today before Jehovah our God and with those who are not here with us today;"

When your J.W. "teacher" starts to wriggle his way out, ask him why two non-Israelites were allowed to pollute the Messianic lineage of the house of Judah, if they weren't accepted as full Israelites? (Rahab & Ruth - two pagan worshippers!)

All the best.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Welcome to the forum. This is a good place to ask questions.
  • jhine
    jhine

Hi Cofty ,, you are right I shouldn't have put those two things together as if there was a direct correlation between the two .

Jan

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Hi Grags

Another Brit here. Welcome to the forum.

JW facts is an excellent site to do research. Have you studied the origins of the religion? Very interesting. Also the ever changing definition of the timespan of the word generation.

I was not born into the religion but recruited via them knocking on my door back in 1984 as a young single mum. They convinced me my 2 year old would not start school armageddon was so imminent and now not only has she grown up and got married and had a child but her child also grew up and got married and had a child.

I was never supposed to grow old in this system and they successfully recruited me with the "promise from our creator" that the Bethelites who were photographed on the front of the current magazine were the generation Christ spoke of that would be alive when armageddon came. Sadly none of them lived to see armageddon. Not one. They are all dead.

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

Hello Gregs, welcome to the forum,

Here is an old JW that has been studding the Bible in over 40 years, including University examines in History of Ideas and Science, Philosophy, and History. I´m from Scandinavia. You are quite right about to total inconsistence of the Bible stories. Not only the different side stories, but in fact the very core of the Bible teachings according to Christianity as a whole. The core teachings of almost all Christian “cults” are: “Jesus died for all our sins, so that all who believe in him not should not face death but have eternal life.” !? Think of it!!

Jesus is send by his father to make people (his children) understand that if they obey him and listen to him, they will have eternal life?!!

We kill him, spit on him, humiliate him and he dies. This by those who really had a chance to see him, all his miracles, his wonderful teachings a.s.f.

And when he is death, all of a sudden, we are forgiven, by his father. We are suddenly in a much better position to his father then before our bestial behavior?

During 40 years of bending this problem I have never been able to understand the logic in this reasoning. You got to have a lot of “faith” to understand why Jehova will forgive you all your sins because your ancestors killed his son….

Continue to research, not only the Bible, the Koran, and even other “wholly scriptures” They are all totally whiteout all consistency, they are all just old stories, interesting to for Historians, just to understand how ancient people thought…..But absolutely inappropriate to understand “the world”

Bugbear

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

I think we lost him to the "Tower of Terror!!"

@ punkofnice - very interesting video. I have always noticed inconsistencies but never followed up on them. Will do now!

@ TheSearcher - I was expecting you any minute. Hahaha. Many good points you make as always. Keep them coming.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Hi Grags, another Brit here (Beds/Bucks border).

You seem to have stopped posting but in case you're still reading please remember how everyone here treated you with respect. We want to help.

Why not gather your nerve and post again?

All the best,

Nic'

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Welcome. There are many inconsistencies in the bible, to believe that it is some perfect and cohesive narrative is simply wishful thinking, don't fall for it.

The Watchtower likes to selectively quote scriptures, even parts of scriptures, followed by a lot of conjecture, it can get confusing, so be sure to read everything in context. Most of their beliefs don't really hold up once you start to question things, so take nothing at face value, look for the logical inconsistencies. When it comes to the history and beliefs of the Watchtower, verify everything using neutral third party references, like Wikipedia. They lie about their history, and they don't tell people some of their more disturbing beliefs until they have studied for quite a while, so be wary.

They also use cult mind control techniques, like controlling your time (hours of meetings everyweek, obligatory door to door work, etc., controlling who you can talk to (ex members are shunned, friendships with non JWs are discouraged), and they claim to be the only path to salvation, all others will be destroyed by God at Armageddon, which they believe is eminent.

But since you are already questioning things, I am sure you will figure all that out for yourself.

Lisa 🌹

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit