Hi noobie here.

by Grags 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Grags
    Grags

Hi my name is Graham (but I much prefer to be called Grags), I'm a 38 year old married man from the UK and have been studying with the Witnesses for about 3 months.

I do a study every Saturday and love every minute. I find I have too many questions and before long we've ran out of time discussing the question instead of progressing with the bible study. So I came up with the idea to see if there was any JW forums that wouldn't mind answering a question I have every now and again.

I spend my time off work watching as many videos on YouTube as I can. 90% of which are bible related. I'm in the middle of the Book of Matthew which brings me to my first question...

I noticed an inconsistency in the way Matthew, Luke and John describe the calming of the sea.

In John 6: 16-24 Jesus's disciples get onto a boat without Jesus and set off. There's a storm and about 3 or 4 miles after rowing Jesus approaches the boat walking on water.

JOHN 6: 16-24

16 When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, 17 where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. 18 A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough. 19 When they had rowed about three or four miles,[b] they saw Jesus approaching the boat, walking on the water; and they were frightened.20 But he said to them, “It is I; don’t be afraid.” 21 Then they were willing to take him into the boat, and immediately the boat reached the shore where they were heading.
    22 The next day the crowd that had stayed on the opposite shore of the lakerealized that only one boat had been there, and that Jesus had not entered it with his disciples, but that they had gone away alone. 23 Then some boats from Tiberias landed near the place where the people had eaten the bread after the Lord had given thanks. 24 Once the crowd realized that neither Jesus nor his disciples were there, they got into the boats and went to Capernaum in search of Jesus.

In Luke 8: 22-25 And Matthew 8: 23-27 Jesus boards the boat and his disciples follow him. Jesus is sleeping in the boat and is awoken by his worried disciples as the storm builds.

LUKE 8: 22-25

22 One day Jesus said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side of the lake.” So they got into a boat and set out. 23 As they sailed, he fell asleep. A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger. 24 The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Master, Master, we’re going to drown!” He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. 25 “Where is your faith?” he asked his disciples. In fear and amazement they asked one another, “Who is this? He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him.”

MATTHEW 8: 23-27

23 Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. 24 Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. 25 The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!” 26 He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.27 The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

As you can see the stories do not match. Am I missing something?

Thanks for reading.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    As you can see the stories do not match. Am I missing something?

Yes

Welcome to the forum

• TheMark
    TheMark

Welcome Grags.

I think they are separate events.

Keep reading here with an open mind. The truth will set you free.

• Grags
    Grags

TheMark3 minutes ago

Welcome Grags.
    I think they are separate events.
    Keep reading here with an open mind. The truth will set you free.

Thank you Mark (can I call you Mark?)

I did wonder if they were separate events myself. But then I wonder why the calming of the sea is not in the book of John. But to be fair, I got the information from movies on YouTube. However I did make certain that these movies were taken 100% from the bible. So far I have watched the whole of Luke and John both of which are 4 hour movies. And I'm a little way into Matthew.

• prologos
    prologos

Grags, welcome! at the right time];-- you posted: "--they saw Jesus approaching the boat, walking on the water; and they were frightened.20 But he said to them, “It is I; don’t be afraid--"

Your mentor will discuss this in next sunday's wt stud related to faith. -- does this idea give you the sinking feeling. well. keep up your healthy scepticism, and keep your feet firmly planted in reality, not stories. .

• smiddy
    smiddy

Hi , Grags

Welcome to the forum .Keep studying the Bible and compare accounts relating to the same event and you will find not just one , not two , but many inconsistency`s starting with the book of Genesis Ch.1 & 2 about Creation

Have a nice day

smiddy

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Hi there Grags!

If you're interested in more biblical contradictions you can go here. You even have contradictory versions of the Ten Commandments.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    You will find a lot of issues from one Gospel to the next. Read the resurrection story of Jesus and their all a bit different. The birth story is in only two Gospels and again different. Most experts will agree Matthew was written to try to tie Jesus in to as many stories from the old testament as possible.
  • Grags
    Grags

One can only wonder why people go through the trouble of joining a religious forum just to bash it.

I really am not interested in anyone's negativity when it comes to our creator. That is why I specifically chose this community to ask my question.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Hi Grags -

It's nice that you enjoy your time studying with Jehovah's witnesses. I remember enjoying their visits, too, when I was young and my parents joined the group.

You should know that this particular discussion forum is comprised of both active and inactive witnesses. Also some people that never were 'in' the organization but who have an interest nonetheless.

The majority here, though, are people who have been deeply hurt by practices that are not disclosed to people like you. Or the practices are sugar-coated.

There is some good conversation and debate here, but also much hurt.

Welcome. I am glad you joined in the discussion.

-AudeSapere (meaning: Dare to Know; Dare to Have Wisdom/Understanding; Dare to Think for Yourself)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit