Is New Zealand right to ban military style guns?

by ThomasCovenant 84 Replies latest jw friends

• I believe in overlapping
    I believe in overlapping

Now, suppose someone opens fire on a crowd, and one person in that crowd happens to have a gun. The attacker now gets shot, and that is the end. The original attacker had enough ammunition to kill a few hundred innocent people, but only managed one injury (or even a property damage shot) before being shot. Maybe a few incidents like that would make anyone stupid enough to shoot at a crowd think twice.

That right there!!

I live in a USA State where Open carry as well as conceal carry is legal. I went to church with some of my uncles who have never been JWs, and are all ex-military. They are law abiding citizens, who put family first and believe in making the world a better place. In the church, more than half of the men open carry their guns. The wives carry their guns in their purse.

What do you think would happened if some terrorist like the one in New Zealand walked into the church and started shooting??

Do you know what it feels like when you are sitting next to your uncle who loves you and is carrying a glock 17 and your aunt who is carrying a compact glock in her purse. Both of who are into competitive shooting. And all the neighbors who know each other very well and and get along with each other and are also carrying!

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

So I'm guessing from some of the postings that more guns is the better response and certainly not banning more guns.

To take things to the extreme, would it be a better world if everyone was armed to the teeth or if everyone had no guns.

Again to the extreme, when it was just the nuclear USSR v the nuclear West we had an uneasy peace. If it had only been one nation, either the USA or the USSR, having a nuclear arsenal, would it have been a safer world? Probably not.

Will it be a better planet if every nation or political faction were to have their own nuclear arsenal?

I'm not being sarcastic in my posting.

It's genuinely interesting to hear differing views, although it does get a bit tedious with the overly aggressive and belittling defence or otherwise of the opposing views.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@TC - the problem with your line of thinking is that you're blaming the weapons (tools) rather than the people who chose to use them.

In 2013 two jihadis slaughtered Lee Rigby with a hired car, kitchen knives or meat cleavers (forget which one) ... but the UK government doesn't ban hired cars, kitchen knives and meat cleavers.

• sir82
    sir82

Now, suppose someone opens fire on a crowd, and one person in that crowd happens to have a gun. The

attacker now gets shot, and that is the end.

Scenario 2:

Someone opens fire on a crowd. Lets call him A.

5 people in the crowd have guns. Let's call them B, C, D, E, and F.

B sees A fire, so shoots at him. Misses. Kills someone in the crowd.

C never saw A fire, but sees B fire at A, thinks B is the "bad guy". Shoots at B, misses. Kills someone in the crowd.

D sees C, and so on.

Six guys are emptying their clips at each other in a crowded space, none of them (except A & B) know who the "bad guy" really is.

Now suppose there are 10 guys with guns in the crowd, or 20, or 50.

Is "more guns" the best solution?

I'm not saying "issue more laws banning guns". And I understand the feeling of wanting to protect yourself or loved ones.

But it seems to me that the more guns there are floating around, the higher the chances of bad things happening by mistake.

I don't know what the solution is.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Scenario 2:

Someone opens fire on a crowd. Lets call him A.

5 people in the crowd have guns. Let's call them B, C, D, E, and F.

B sees A fire, so shoots at him. Misses. Kills someone in the crowd.

C never saw A fire, but sees B fire at A, thinks B is the "bad guy". Shoots at B, misses. Kills someone in the crowd.

D sees C, and so on - how does your scenario fit in with the NZ shooting?

The shooter/terrorist was obviously non-Muslim and so stuck out like a sore thumb.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

No one needs these weapons except police and military, they serve only one purpose, to kill many people quickly.

See the quoted comment below. Or did you mean that the police and military only serve the purpose of killing many people quickly?

But rogue local police? Yes, that can happen.

Why an exception for police to have military grade weapons? Who are they going up against? The now magically law-abiding criminals who have turned over all their banned weapons? Or the now unarmed general population? Police also have NO NEED of military weapons, IF you succeed in disarming the law-abiding.

• sir82
    sir82

how does your scenario fit in with the NZ shooting?

It doesn't.

Another poster wrote this:

Now, suppose someone opens fire on a crowd, and one person in that crowd happens to have a gun. The

attacker now gets shot, and that is the end.

I was responding to that - as the "quote" feature I used indicated.

In how many situations does a mass shooter "stick out like a sore thumb"? All of them? Most? Some?

Is my scenario completely unrealistic?

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

would it be a better world if everyone was armed to the teeth or if everyone had no guns.

If one were to believe the bible, there were no guns in Eden and the first recorded murder was carried out with a rock. I say we must ban rocks...and snakes!

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

LoveUni

I appreciate you putting things in context: right-wing terrorism is a risk. Unfortunately, as it is a risk typically targetting minorities, even though it's rising and a far higher risk in recent years in the US (for example) than left-wing or Islamic terrorism, it's not considered by some to be the risk it statistically is.

WingCommander

You seem to have missed I covered what you are reacting to; that an army asked to target a majority population would likely refuse. But the fantastic thinking persists; you seem to think that before a town was targetted like that, that all retail outlets would not have been shut down.

Also, I know a shit tonne of Americans and neither view them as you think people do nor see their thinking reflected in yours. You are not a spokesperson for all of America.

Simon

Strange how a politician widely seen as being an example of how to react in a situation such as that after the Christchurch shootings can be spun as "petty token gimmicks to look good". I object to the actions of the right-wing Israeli government, but would never be negligent in showing respect for the victims of a shooting in a synagogue. I don't blame the religion for the politics, and Islamic terrorism is political as Da'esh shows.

Islam is practised in dreadfully culturally backwards ways, for example in the major Western ally Saudi Arabia that we buy oil from and sell arms to. But just as secularisation defanged Christianity from the racist, homophobic, sexist, religiously totalitarian entity it became in Western culture, so too Muslims in other countries are going through the painful process of defanging their religion.

I'll take your views about headscarves in mosques seriously when I see you pulling hats off old ladies in Roman Catholic churches in Northern Ireland where terrorism and sexism are facts of life.

Until then, take it from me; telling a woman what to wear is not making them freer. Voting for political parties that will not support states that oppress women is making them freer. In fact, even if a woman's choice of headgear is constrained by their father/husband/mosque, forcing her not to wear it is not making her freer. Acting against the men constraining her free choice is making her freer.

I, personally, am very curious about how you came to your current political opinions. Or maybe back in this board's heyday when I was a regular poster (almost twenty years ago) you had the same opinions but didn't discuss them. Obviously, the change in the willingness of people to express reactionary opinions is linked to their perception of the consequences of doing it. Were you always this, for want of a better word, 'conservative'? If not, what made you shift to a more conservative and reactionary political opinion. I'm asking not to start a fight but because I am interested. It's far more productive understanding people's reasons for belief than simply disagreeing with them.

As I say to WingCommander above, I already said that "... most modern armies would not engage in mass killings of people like them. But the later is true whether the people have guns or not".

To make this explicit; Britsih Army are no more likely to serve a tyrannical government than the US Army, despite the lack of weapons in British civilian's hands. Do you agree?

If you do agree, then guns actually have no role in protecting us against tyranny. They're just a tool in making people feel free, buying votes, and getting political contributions, but are also actually a major public health issue.

For example, we would have to import terrorists into each European country (right-wing, left-wing, Islamists, doesn't matter what sort of deranged killer), arm them, train them, and then let them kill hundreds of people in each European country to match the firearm homicide rate in the United States

• nugget
    nugget

When anyone can own an automatic weapon then massacres using automatic weapons happen. Whilst banning weapons like this will not stop all violence it will have an impact. The statistics show that where bans have been put in place the proportion of deaths due to guns reduce as a result. Sometimes personal rights need to be mitigated by personal responsibilities and acting for the greater good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit