Who make up the new memorial partakers?

by jwfacts 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

When the doctrine regarding 1935 being the close of the calling was done away with in 2007, it was not unexpected to see the number rise. Over the next few years it went from around 8,500 to 10,500. This seemed to indicate that there were a couple of thousand people that may have felt they had the calling all along, but too shy to profess it.

For the 30 year period between the mid 1978 and 2007, parktakers had barely dropped. There were always a few people that would start taking and then stop going to meetings, and so the flatlining seemed mostly due to "unworthy" ones claiming to be anointed.

However, the number continues to rise, and now is over 20,000, which is not something I expected. Who are these new partakers? Is it mostly new converts, or older ones that are starting to change their belief? Does anyone have experiences of who are now beginning to claim to be anointed?

I have just updated https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/memorial-partakers.php with the latest numbers.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

According to the WTS the majority of partakers today are mentally delusional.

For one time this is when I agree with the GB members (FDSL)

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

That makes it all the more intriguing. Knowing how the GB and probably congregation judges new partakers, why are the numbers still going up? Also, I thought the long term members with such a desire would have jumped on board a decade ago, so what demographic make up the latest ones?

• a watcher
    a watcher

The only new partaker I know is an older sister who was invited to start partaking quite unexpectedly.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I personally know of 2 that has reached my ears .Both of which have been associated with the religion for many years and are probably now in their late 50`s early sixties.And both are female.

I suspect 2 or 3 others that I know.

Personally I think its tied up with being tired of hearing the big A is just around the corner and have opted to claim to be of the anointed expecting to die before the big A strikes .

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don’t know of any so can only speculate.

There may be a bandwagon effect in that JWs see the number rising each year since 2007 and this emboldens yet more to partake.

Removing “faithful and discreet slave” status (in 2012?) may have been in part an attempt to discourage others from partaking. However it may have backfired and encouraged a few more to partake if they figured that the new teaching meant that claiming to be anointed was no longer as a big a deal, or egotistical as it used to be.

There were rumours that Paul Gillies began partaking a few years ago, perhaps in an attempt to get appointed to the GB. But presumably ambition to join the GB is only a factor for a minority of new partakers, since not many are realistically in a position to view it as a likely prospect. But who knows? The GB are much more prominent in the last ten years, so ambition to join the GB may also have increased over that period and been perceived as being within easier reach because of their ubiquitous visual presence.

It is also surprising that the reported number has increased so much because it is presumably a number that Watchtower could easily falsify if they wished. Numbers are not reported for individual countries, so who would know if Watchtower underreported the figure, as it would be near impossible to independently verify. So the large increase seems to indicate either 1) Watchtower are being honest about the increase even though it is apparently against their interest and tends to undermine their teaching/authority or 2) the increase has been even larger and they are in fact underreporting the true figure to the extent they deem feasible. Either seems possible.

It has sometimes been mooted that “confusion” among converts in countries in places such as Africa may account for the recent increase. It sounds like clutching at straws but who knows there may be something to it. Independent Watchtower movements have been common in Southern Africa, and it would only take the aberration of a small region with a different perception of the propriety of partaking and claiming to be anointed to boost the worldwide numbers by thousands. The number of partakers for individual countries used to be reported in the Kingdom Ministry, but not for many years. Unless they ever publish these numbers again we won’t know which countries tend to account for the increase.

Above all of this, I think there is a general loss of authority and credibility of the Watchtower leadership in the past couple of decades, and the rising anointed figure may in various ways be a manifestation of that breakdown in authority. “These guys clearly don’t know what they’re doing—see overlapping generation craziness—so who are they to tell me not to partake?”

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

By the way it is a delusion brought on by other background psychological problems related to NPD.

What is Narcissistic Personality Disorder?

It’s a nice feeling to be admired. It naturally makes us feel good and feel important. And, yes, we sometimes boast and brag on ourselves as well. But, if people start describing you as cocky, manipulative, and demanding, you might be suffering from a more serious condition. It is disorder is a mental disorder affecting approximately 1% of the population1, with a greater prevalence in men than women. Narcissistic personality disorder is defined as an inflated sense of self-importance, a lack of empathy for others, and a great need for admiration. The hallmark definition of narcissistic personality disorder is grandiosity – the exaggerated sense of self-importance. If you are living with this disorder, you may be preoccupied with power, prestige, vanity, and may think you deserve special treatment and fame.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

The simple explanation is that everyone who views himself/herself a Christian, partake of the emblems for forgiveness of sins and to advertise the death of their Lord. Remember, in Raymond Franz's time some Bethelites partook of the emblems after the memorial and in secret. This many believe is not only a prerequisite for the so-called remnant of the 144000 but for all Christians. Where do all this come from? The following is a quote of John (6:53) from the NET Bible footnote:

Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood. These words are at the heart of the discourse on the Bread of Life, and have created great misunderstanding among interpreters. Anyone who is inclined toward a sacramental viewpoint will almost certainly want to take these words as a reference to the sacrament of the Lord’s Supper, or the Eucharist, because of the reference to ‘eating his flesh’ and ‘drinking his blood’ (John 6:53ff.; cf. Matt. 26:26-28). But this does not automatically follow: By anyone’s definition there must be a symbolic element to the eating which Jesus speaks of in the discourse, and once this is admitted, it is better to understand it here, as in the previous references in the passage, to a personal receiving of (or appropriation of) Christ and his work. Notice that in John 6:54 (NET footnote) the result (has eternal life and I will raise him up at the last day) is produced by eating (Jesus’) flesh and drinking his blood. Compare John 6:40 where the same result is produced by “looking on the Son and believing in him.” This suggests that the phrase here (eats my flesh and drinks my blood) is to be understood by the phrase in John 6:40 (looks on the Son and believes in him).

However, many believe that the above is no coincidence. This is the only place where the Apostle John refers to the memorial (cf. John 6:70, 71). Jesus uses this very same terminology when instituting the memorial of his death. Early on in his ministry (already in John 6) he would be preparing the people for the Eucharist. His intimate followers, later to be anointed with holy spirit, would celebrate the memorial for the forgiveness of their sins and as participants of the new covenant, prospective members of the 144000 (Matt. 26:28; 1 Cor. 11:25; Rev. 14:1). Jesus’ earthly subjects would celebrate the memorial in remembrance of their Lord and for the forgiveness of their sins. By doing this both groups would be unified in “proclaiming the death of the Lord until he arrives” and attaining the forgiveness of sins (Matt. 26:28; 1 Cor. 11:24-26; cf. John 6:56).

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Who can say for sure? ... If the WTS have any detailed breakdown of the figures, they certainly are not sharing it.

IMHO.. they may be a mix of third world converts from other Christian faiths who cannot give up their aspirations to go to heaven... and some established dubs who do have that narcissism that Finkelstein was talking about.

NB 8500 to 20,000 is a hell of a jump when you see it like that.... for a group that is supposed to be reducing !

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Facty -
    Who make up the new memorial partakers?

The delusional and the attention seekers....just like those disgusting pervert protectors, the GovBod (piss be upon them), really.

Anointed are nuts - August 15, 2011 Watchtower (the study edition) pg 22 QfR: Memorial partakers. This is the number of baptized individuals who partake of the emblems at the Memorial worldwide. Does this total represent the number of anointed ones on earth? Not necessarily. A number of factors—including past religious beliefs or even mental or emotional imbalance—might cause some to assume mistakenly that they have the heavenly calling. We thus have no way of knowing the exact number of anointed ones on earth; nor do we need to know. The Governing Body does not keep a list of all partakers, for it does not maintain a global network of anointed ones.of baptized individuals who partake of the emblems at the Memorial worldwide. Does this total represent the number of anointed

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit