We in the UK are dealing with COVID all wrong

by LoveUniHateExams 37 Replies latest social current

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Yeah, so Boris Johnson has plunged the whole of the UK back into a second lockdown.

Kids are still going to school (thank goodness!) but this second lockdown is ruining the economy and killing small businesses.

The first lockdown was forgivable because, at the time, nobody knew what we were dealing with.

But now, we know more and more about COVID-19.

It is lethal to elderly people (the average age of deaths with COVID in the UK is 82 years - the average age of deaths without COVID in the UK is 81 years).

It is also lethal to obese people and people with diabetes.

I'd imagine HIV+ people are another vulnerable group.

But to everyone else, catching COVID is fairly similar to catching the flu. And, of course, even though there are thousands dying each month from the flu and pneumonia, we don't use this as an excuse to shut down the economy and take away people's basic freedoms.

Sorry, there is no excuse for this second total lockdown.

So, what is going on here?

First, Boris is taking advice from only two scientists - Witty and Valance, trusting 'The Science' as he puts it. Except science doesn't have just one mouthpiece. Everyone can speak in science. Debate helps move science forward, trusting two scientists obviously does not, and is actually harmful when those scientists use incorrect data and/or draw erroneous conclusions.

Second, now that Boris has fired both Cummings and Cain, the one person who has his ear more than most is his piece of skirt, Carrie Symonds. This is a peculiar power women typically have over men - young lovelies in their late twenties/ early thirties can make late-middle aged men like Boris act like idiots.

Boris is currently content with driving Britain's economy off a cliff and many Tory MPs are worried about this.

Of course, Left-wing types love the second lockdown. If Left-wingers want to end capitalism, what better way than weaponizing the current COVID crisis and using it to f**k our economy? That way, they can claim that capitalism isn't working.

After this second lockdown, there must not be any others.

BTW the virus isn't going anywhere, it'll be waiting for us on December 3.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Some hospitals were full to capacity again, so what other option did he have? Would you choose to preside over a health system that had to start turning people with emergencies away?
    The whole lockdown/anti-lockdown debate is a nonsense anyway. What should have happened is the UK should have followed other competent governments in quarantining, testing, tracing, and isolating. Successful countries didn’t need to choose between lockdowns or healthcare collapse: because of their efficient response they had neither, and their economies fared better too. Encouraging the proles to argue amongst themselves over lockdowns is a deliberate distraction from the hugest scandal of mismanagement and corruption in modern British governance.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The whole lockdown/anti-lockdown debate is a nonsense anyway - no, it's not. Ordering lockdowns has

1. ruined our economy (there is going to be a lot of pain as future generations pay back the Government's largesse with taxpayers' money)

2. eroded trust in our democratic system … our Government is currently ruling by diktat (for instance, this second lockdown wasn't debated in the House of Commons - Boris just announced it one Saturday evening, having followed 'The Science', - actually just listening to one point of view because there is no scientific consensus on how good lockdowns actually are).

What should have happened is the UK should have followed other competent governments in quarantining, testing, tracing, and isolating - agreed, this is a good point. Other countries' test and trace systems put ours to shame.

Encouraging people to argue over lockdowns is just a distraction from the hugest scandal of mismanagement and corruption in modern British governance - hmm, not sure about this. I think that lockdowns and political corruption are linked somehow and that this is up for discussion.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

I agree with you LUHE

What would you do differently ?

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

So if it's Boris' fault, what about Belgium, is that also Boris' fault? How about Spain, Germany, Italy, all seeing second waves and overflowing hospitals? How come the US hasn't seen ANY hospitals overflow? How come Belgium has had to ration healthcare for literally months on end now. And it's not like healthcare rationing in Europe is uncommon, Italy has yearly rations before the pandemic even began.

There are certain things nobody can fix in 2 or 4 or even 10 years, the UK has had a poorly run health system for nearly a century. As does Europe in general, when you leave hospitals up to government spending, you leave it up to government budgets and associated budget cuts.

Free healthcare for everyone means no healthcare for anyone.

And yes, I've lived there, I am European, I grew up poor (true JW) in Europe so I've had to deal with government hospitals and rationed healthcare systems all my life.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

LUHE said : "What should have happened is the UK should have followed other competent governments in quarantining, testing, tracing" < THIS !!

Johnson in this time of Covid has NEVER followed the Science. Whitty and Valence the two "experts" he puts on a podium from time to time only repeated what they were told to say, they did not present the known Science, even advocating Herd Immunity at one point.

The Science that WAS known from the early 20th Century experience was that in Plague conditions, what LUHE says in the quote above worked, without a vaccine. When such measures were not put in place, or were relaxed, the disease rampaged again.

This was pointed out by a good number of people on Social Media, very early, before our fist lock down. The scandal of throwing Tax payers money at people and companies not equipped to deliver is what has got us to where we are today.

This Government ,under Johnson, has so far done nothing right.

Our Economy is about to take another huge hit because of Brexit. Next year does not look good, even when the vaccines have been administered.

• Phizzy
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

What would you do differently ? - well, Stan, it's pretty obvious.

NO NATIONAL LOCKDOWNS!

The virus is lethal to the elderly, the obese and the diabetic.

So only those vulnerable groups should isolate, observe social distancing, and wear masks.

Everyone else should be allowed to live their lives. Shops and work places should be open.

What we're doing at the moment is utter insanity. Lockdown after lockdown is ruining our economy. High Streets across Britain are abandoned. Small businesses are going under. Tax payers' cash is being pissed away on the furlough scheme (paying people NOT to work).

Boris is supposed to be a Tory Prime Minister. And he's f**king our economy!

He needs to stop listening to the tart he's shacked up with, and start listening to Tory MPs.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Well the U S is canceling Thanksgiving and then will work on xmas. New year will be ok alcohol kills viruses

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Lhue..most of the population..me included..agree with you.

I also think its game over for Boris.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit