Did becoming a JW influence you to give up something you enjoyed ?

by smiddy3 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• SouthCentral
    SouthCentral

High school sports and college. I am not making that mistake with my children.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Hi Smiddy,

I remember someone at an assembly give a similar story to yours. He really expressed how he did not want to give up martial arts. I could see in his face how much he liked to practice the sport.

There were a lot of likable characters like yourself back then that I met, for example JWs who had done all sorts of things in the past and stopped. From pr0$titution to dr&gs, scientists, g&ys and a whole bunch of other people that gave up things like you did. I truly admired them. Not so much for the religious aspect of it. But because of the integrity of their heart, their sincerity, their generosity. The courage, the completeness of their heart. I felt like they were giving me this gift. What respect I had and how much I cherished what they did. I took it personal. That was how I measured people. I wasn’t impressed by years of service. The older you get, the more you understand, especially when you go through things and experience them yourself.

• Mandrake
    Mandrake

I was ready and had the grades for Med school, but instead chose dentistry because I was so scared about being "on the other side of the blood dilemma", turned out I like being a dentist but I know that deep deep inside I lacked freedom of choice at the time and the pressure from the congregation impacted heavily on my career decision.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Sports and just about every other form of recreational activity. Education, too - the elders had enough sway over my father that I was pulled out of the bachelor course in electrical engineering.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I was born in. I had no friends, no one my age in the congo-abong-i. I was not allowed to associate with kids at school. I just sat in my bedroom reading and listening to music. If my parents were out, I'd listen to David Bowie and the New York Dolls. These LP's were hidden inside other LPs.

Now I'm out, I'm making up for lost time....a bit late now so most of my dreams are dead.

The WBT$ destroyed my family and my life.

I sometimes wonder why I bother carrying on. They won.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Also, Smiddy as you and the rest of us know, sin is very enjoyable and to become a JW we had to give up sinning. We dedicated our lives to God and put that first in our lives and that also requires giving up a lot of things.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Yes, several.

I always liked horror movies as a kid. When I became a JW, no more horror movies.

I always was very interested in animals and paleontology, too. But I also stopped that as a JW - because it featured evolution.

Luckily, I now enjoy horror films (among other types of film) and have got a degree in animal biology.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I sometimes wonder why I bother carrying on. They won

Punk : I`m sorry that they destroyed your family and your life ,but they didn`t win ,your out of the religion,the only ones that they won with are the JW`s who are still in the religion .

Don`t give up Bro. you have friends here.While theirs life theirs hope.

.I`m 83 years old and i`m not giving in to the bastards so why would you or anyone else.

Now I'm out, I'm making up for lost time

Keep doing that and enjoy what time you have left.

Take care.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Thanks Smiddy. You're the same age as my Mum.

I have some good friends who are not Jobots, but they're all married. I feel a bit left out.

Where's that rich widow when I need her?

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Punk WT are love a lad insane. They turn the Bible into the Arabian Nights.

Don't give up. And be glad your are free.

I expect you'll like this song.

Aladdin Sane (2013 Remaster) - YouTube

But check out Bowie's connection to Golden DAWN. Look again at old WT covers. Millenial...

I bet you'll hate this one when you start to think of the GB as the Homo Superiors.

David Bowie - Oh You Pretty Things (LYRICS + FULL SONG) - YouTube

And here's a little know Kingdom Melody :D

Five Years (2012 Remaster) - YouTube

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit