Is it possible for any Country to have “Reasonable” Gun Laws? What would they be?

by pistolpete 70 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• hybridous
    hybridous

“If you are for gun control, then you are not against guns, because the guns will be needed to disarm people. So it’s not that you are anti-gun. You’ll need the police’s guns to take away other people’s guns. So you’re very pro-gun; you just believe that only the Government (which is, of course, so reliable, honest, moral and virtuous…) should be allowed to have guns. There is no such thing as gun control. There is only centralizing gun ownership in the hands of a small political elite and their minions.”

- S. Molyneux

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Thank you S. Molineaux for sharing your wisdom.

I love the gratuitous capitalizing of the word government.

Not necessary, but neither is capitalizing the word bible.

English is so laissez-faire these days.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

Better than we would have if you were in charge of it.

What you consider better, most people consider an utter failure. About 50 children have gone missing in the time it took me to write this.---------I don't consider that BETTER.

An estimated 8 million children are said to go missing each year, worldwide.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

These days you have to capital “Black” when referring to race. But not “white” because.....

• joey jojo
    joey jojo
    hybridous6 hours ago

“If you are for gun control, then you are not against guns, because the guns will be needed to disarm people. So it’s not that you are anti-gun. You’ll need the police’s guns to take away other people’s guns. So you’re very pro-gun; you just believe that only the Government (which is, of course, so reliable, honest, moral and virtuous…) should be allowed to have guns. There is no such thing as gun control. There is only centralizing gun ownership in the hands of a small political elite and their minions.”

- S. Molyneux

Gun control doesn't automatically mean no guns. It means that owning guns is a privilege and not an automatic right. It also means that you have to have training and demonstrate competence to own one.

Personally Im glad I live in a country where people have to prove that they at least have the ability to tie their own shoelaces before being granted a gun licence.

• TD
    TD

Pete

People will hurt each other with whatever means they have, if motivated to.

Yes. Therefore it is important to differentiate between a lateral movement in the types of murders committed vs. a vertical movement in the numbers of murders committed.

That understanding is behind the logic of locking up the kitchen knives if an argument breaks out. It also is behind the logic of gun regulation.

That is an argument whose end point is the denial of a pinky-sized keychain pepper-spray aerosol to a 50kg woman who must walk to her car after sunset.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    That is an argument whose end point is the denial of a pinky-sized keychain pepper-spray aerosol to a 50kg woman who must walk to her car after sunset.

That kind of "all or nothing" cognitive disfunction (of a small percentage of the population) is a large aspect of the problem. Consider : I gave pepper spray to my wife and a friend for Christmas and I support universal background checks for gun sales. My brain did not explode.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Stefan Basil Molyneux is a Canadian far-right white nationalist, white supremacist, podcaster and banned YouTuber, who is best known for his promotion of conspiracy theories, scientific racism, eugenics, and racist views.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Pete

That little pepper spray is counted as a weapon here. See how easily things expand?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    That little pepper spray is counted as a weapon here

I understand that. It was here not long ago too. A lot has to do with the record of local criminal use. The fact that Canadians drew a different line regarding pepper spray than we have illustrates that there is room for discussion and compromise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit