Is it possible for any Country to have “Reasonable” Gun Laws? What would they be?

by pistolpete 70 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Buyback programs in each State.

The government CANNOT buy back what they never owned! That is just a B.S. term for confiscation! There will be a lot of "stolen" firearms that somehow "disappear" if they attempt that.

I could somehow "lose" all of mine, but I will have access to plenty of "hammers" and "nails", just in case a "barn raising" breaks out.

To pursue such a course in the USA today would just decimate the entire country’s infrastructure, food production, tax revenue collection, military, thus leaving the country vulnerable to other countries like North Korea for invasion.

I would not be a bit surprised if that is not exactly what those anti-American, anti-border, government must take care of the subjects, left leaning sheeple want.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Joeyjojo,,, thanks for the link. There are many things that a majority of Americans would support that would lessen gun violence. But I fear we have passed the point where such things can even be discussed. Many gun proponents no longer even frame their arguments around hunting or sport shooting. It is openly argued the need to be able to kill people, even kill our own military personnel if they are being lead by a Democrat President. The gun manufacturers have successfully woven their narrative into the political fabric.

I will share a story that just happened to my wife and I this summer. We hired a man to remove about 30 trees and clear the land. It was a nightmare. To keep it short, he said insane things to my wife, cut a tree across the powerline, pulled his sign up and took off. I had learned since hiring him that he was a former cop and had mental health issues. Knowing this, when he took off after taking out everyone's power, I called his number after removing the tree and left a message saying I did not want him to return in no uncertain terms but because he had done about half the job I would send a check for 1/2 the agreed amount. I did this in hopes he would just forget about us. I didn't hear from him for 4 months then got a letter saying he was suing me for a fantastic imaginary amount. It went to court and I won of course but his mental instability was very evident in court. I was told by a local cop to get a gun and put it under our bed. 3 months later he shoots and kills a man in the street with a shortened shotgun and is now facing a murder charge. This is America. We knew he had mental health issues but no one dared to protect society by taking his guns. Instead the cops tell me to also get a gun and shoot him if he comes. It took only months and he kills someone in the street. He will probably get off with a good attorney. If you are in Wisconsin you may have read about this case this fall.

• Simon
    Simon

There is no way people in the US will give up their guns. The democrat policies of violence and destruction have boosted gun sales to new levels.

And what exactly is their plan? Send the police to confiscate them ... with their guns? Oh, no, aren't they going to be defunded? So send some social workers round instead?

It's not going to happen. It's simply political hot-air that won't be followed up with any meaningful legislation. Just empty words for headlines to distract people from something else that is going on and so he can act like he's won the election.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Pete, I think you are right about America, probably too late for big changes.

The post asked if its possible for a country to have reasonable gun laws and I believe we have them here, your question didnt mention the U.S.

Unsurprised my answer got 2 down-votes already lol.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

joey jojo

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

Many gun proponents no longer even frame their arguments around hunting or sport shooting.

The Second Amendment was not about hunting or sport shooting. And that was a sad story about the ex-cop. Thank goodness you came to no harm. But in a free country, which the US allegedly is, sometimes freedom leads to bad things happening. Sometimes the mentally ill get their hands on guns and people die, sometimes the mentally ill get elected and people die.

• TD
    TD

The purpose of the Second Amendment was to prevent the standing army from being used against the citizenry. The idea is a little archaic today because royal families do not maintain their power via their own private armies, and we never accepted the idea of royalty here anyway, but the division between civil and military authority is still enshrined in our Constitution and laws.

The Second Amendment would probably not be the issue that it is today except for the Civil War and the intense lawlessness that followed. It was during this period that names like Colt, Winchester and Remington became household words and guns became fixed in the American psyche as symbols of freedom. (Which puzzles the rest of the English speaking word.)

Biden is a life-long politician and probably understand that elections here are decided by moderates and that you only have to anger a tiny fraction of them to lose the next one. But we'll see...

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

When the U.S. was first founded, every male the age of 13 was required to maintain and be competent with firearms. Such persons were required to carry out both military and constabulary duties when their local community required it. Persons unable or unwilling to carry out such duties were required to pay a fee and those funds were used to pay for munitions and training for those who were willing to fight.

The problem we have in society is everyone is obsessed with living forever and are scared into paralysis of anything deemed "dangerous". The common U.S. mindset is "I pay taxes so I don't have to serve" also known as the "not my job" mentality.

I am all for citizens in the U.S. receiving basic firearms safety training in public school as a requirement. Every able bodied adult in the U.S. should have to volunteer a minimum of 16 hours a month to their local police department and receive adequate training to carry out their volunteer duties. That would include firearms training for their issued duty weapon.

Anyone who is a conscientious objector would be allowed to opt out by volunteering with their local fire department or pay more in taxes to support their local police agencies.

• Simon
    Simon

The only way to have a gun-free society is to build a society where people don't need guns. The democrats do everything in their power to create the exact opposite of that. Sanctuary cities, insecure borders, human traffickers, mobs in the streets smashing up businesses and beating people to death. The dems are the reasons that gun sales go up. If they want to change that, they need to change their policies.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

sometimes the mentally ill get elected and people die.

That's for sure!!-------------

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit