Is it possible for any Country to have “Reasonable” Gun Laws? What would they be?

by pistolpete 70 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

So the New Biden/Harris Gun policies are starting to appear. It’s not clear yet, what they will be.

Some suggestions; Confiscate all guns.------Buyback programs in each State.

There is much talk on social media that if this happens, the pandemic, + all the riots, + all the damaged property, + all the annual murders in America, - put together-will be like a Sunday afternoon picnic, compared to all the deaths and property damage that will result because of “Civil Uprising” by millions of 2nd amendments advocates and just plain Gun Lovers. Americans love guns!

This is one reason why now they are considering a tax fee on magazines over 5 rounds, and a tax fee on all AR 15 and semi-automatic pistols instead of confiscating all guns. Suggested fees between $200 to $800 dollars per magazine and per gun----every year.

Another suggestion is start limiting the amount of ammo manufactures can produce per year. This would make the price of ammo out of the reach of your average citizen but at the same time, the second amendment would not be in danger of being infringed. It would come down to the fact that only those who can afford it, can own guns legally.

It’s a known fact that if civil war was to break, it would be impossible for any Federal Government military to go into any State and start killing these 2nd amendments guerrilla fighters. Reason being, how could anyone distinguish who is who. A civil war today, would be far different than the country’s first Civil war. It would not be a matter of the South vs the North. A war today would be Guerrilla warfare with millions of hidden 2nd amendments advocates spread across and mixed in with the police dept, the military, politicians, members of the legislature, doctors, nurses, business owners, sports world, teens, women, grandma’s, every group you can think of will have some 2nd amendment advocates.

This civil war if it ever happened, would be a form of irregular warfare in which small groups of combatants, such as paramilitary personnel, armed civilians, or irregulars, use military tactics including ambushes, sabotage, raids, petty warfare, hit-and-run tactics, and mobility, to fight a larger and less-mobile traditional military, and this would inspired fear on just about everybody. No one would be exempt.

The Military could just not go and bomb a State or any city for fear of reprisals by the rest of the country for killing innocent men, women, and children. No one would be safe, not even politicians with 1,000 armed personal. To pursue such a course in the USA today would just decimate the entire country’s infrastructure, food production, tax revenue collection, military, thus leaving the country vulnerable to other countries like North Korea for invasion.

“Non-compliance with gun-confiscation laws has been widespread, even in countries that don’t protect the right of citizens to keep and bear arms. What can we learn from Non-compliance countries whose Government issued bans on semi-automatic rifles, such as New Zealand? Well, in 2019 a terrorist killed 51 unarmed worshipers in two Christchurch New Zealand, mosques, and the government immediately imposed sweeping new gun-control laws. New Zealand banned the civilian possession of most semi-automatic rifles. The Council of Licensed Firearms Owners estimated, that New Zealanders possessed roughly 170,000 Firearms at the time of the ban. Yet the New Zealand buyback has not gone smoothly. Many New Zealanders simply refused to comply. By the end of February 2020, well after the final amnesty period ended in December 2019,police data indicated that only 57,000 firearms—about one-third of the total—had been turned in.

Worse, it appears that New Zealand managed to disarm only the most law-abiding of its citizens, and not the actual criminals or terrorists doing the crime.

Australia similarly banned the civilian possession of most semi-automatic firearms in 1996, but the country has spent the last two decades trying—and to a significant extent, failing—to enforce it.

What about the USA?

If this type of significant and widespread non-compliance is so common in countries without America’s gun culture or constitutional protections for civilian gun ownership, it would be almost laughable to presume Americans would be more compliant with overbearing gun-control measures.

After all, civilian gun possession is deeply INGRAINED in the American PSYCHE, as is an aversion to gun confiscation. The American Revolution itself officially ignited over an effort by King George III and his military generals to disarm the colonists.

Americans are increasingly aware that lawfully owned semi-automatic rifles are fundamentally not a driving force behind homicides in this country, or anywhere else.

Nearly two out of every three deaths by firearms in the United States are the result of suicide. In cases of suicide, neither gun type nor magazine capacity ultimately matters; moreover, while it is true that the U.S. has a fairly high rate of suicides committed with firearms, our overall suicide rate is relatively unremarkable compared with many countries with much stricter gun-control laws.

Semi-automatic rifles, such as the AR-15, are responsible for only a fraction of 1% of all gun deaths in the U.S. every year, while rifles of any kind account for about 3% of all gun homicides.

And finally, a majority of crimes committed with guns in the U.S. are carried out by individuals who are already prohibited from owning firearms—not by lawful gun owners.

Trying to take away the guns of an American Gun loving, 2nd Amendment rights advocate, is like trying to force ALL- Exjw to go back to the Watchtower religion and be in complete subjection to the Governing body and its appointed elders.

With that in mind, what kind of gun laws would make 2nd amendment advocates and Gun lovers Happy.

• Jazzbo
    Jazzbo

The proposed Biden taxes would not survive judicial scrutiny for one second. They might like to do that but they simply will not be able to do it. Most of the stuff they gibber about can only be attempted through executive orders and they would instantly be challenged legally. It's simply fodder for the brain dead Zombies to keep them happy.

As far as go, there would be pretty much universal support for truly savage penalties for the criminal misuse of a firearm. A lot of support for denying felons the right to own firearms and a lot of support for denying the clinically mentally ill the right to own firearms. Be quite a bit of support for some training requirement for concealed weapons as long as it wasn't simply a method for preventing people from getting concealed carry permits. Personally I am all for Constitutional carry but there are many gun owners that would accept some restrictions there, including a few restricted areas like court houses and government buildings.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Aren’t there enough laws on the books not being enforced?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG
    If you’re a Felon then you should lose your right to legally purchase guns. Other than that, a minimum competency course of some kind should be required to own a gun. Open carry should be allowed, conceal and carry should be allowed, just take the class, ect.
    The biggest challenge would be keeping Democrats from enacting bullshit laws that pin felonies on folks so they can remove gun rights from citizens.
    For instance, making refusal to accept a vaccine a felony, or making punching an Antifa member a felony, or making buying Goya beans a felony should all be prohibited.

DD
  • MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

The “oh-I-can’t-ban-it-so-let-me-just-tax-it-out-of-existence” won’t work. It’s a prohibition through taxes, and it’s still a prohibition. It will be struck down.

The left is forking with fire here. The riots sealed the deal - guns are necessary. It’s really not a good idea to pursue this. I mean good forking lord - the same people that feel the election wasn’t quite on the up-and-up are the same people who are getting censored.... which are the same people with a shirt load of guns. A “buyback” will only be interpreted as a an attempt to disarm everyone before the real tyranny begins. And it’s not illogical to think the real tyranny would be coming, as that very same group has already been marginalized and censored.

• TD
    TD

DC vs Heller? McDonald vs City of Chicago? Caetano vs Massachusetts?

Biden's gun grabbing tendencies would not survive judicial scrutiny...

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

For those interested in the stated policy ambitions: Joe Biden's Plan to End Gun Violence | Joe Biden for President

• TD
    TD
    I've deconstructed the technical errors in that drivel here on this forum for twenty years...
  • frozen2018
    frozen2018

Biden's gun grabbing tendencies would not survive judicial scrutiny...

Once Georgia delivers those two Democrat Senators, all sorts of things will happen. First to go, the filibuster. Simple majority moves legislation. Then packing the Supreme Court. Soon there will be 13 judges instead of 9. What were you saying about judicial scrutiny? Then the Green New Deal, statehood for DC and Puerto Rico...just for fun throw in Guam. Amnesty for all illeg...oops I mean displaced peoples fleeing oppression. How about mandatory mail in voting? Speaking of mandatory, COVID vaccines for all! And we mean ALL! Didn't Chuck Schumer say something along the lines of "we'll win Georgia and then we will change the world."

Back to the topic of gun laws, I hear many gun owners (I also own guns) say, "I'll die before I give up my guns." The question for gun owners, will you kill to keep your guns? I wouldn't.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Pete, here is the wiki link concerning Australias gun laws:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_of_Australia#:~:text=Licence%20holders%20must%20demonstrate%20a,also%20hold%20a%20firearms%20licence.

Personally, I think in Australia we have reasonable gun laws.

My concern about free, unfettered gun ownership is mainly to do with human error, emotional stresses, mental illnesses etc. Someone may be fine one day and murderously insane the next day.

One thing to note in Australia is that, if you own a firearm, you can expect a visit by the cops twice a year, any time to make sure your gun is safe and secure. To me- this seems reasonable.

Gun ownership in Australia revolves around an individual having a genuine reason to own one, that reason cannot include self-defence. So, there has to be an interest in hunting, sport shooting, or managers/ owners of farms for anyone to consider going to the effort of purchasing, licensing a gun.

I should point out that I grew up owning guns, although, Ive never been a gun fan-boy or enthusiast, and now I dont care to own a firearm.

I believe this has more merit than feeling you have to go and buy a gun for self defence because everyone else has one and you feel scared and think its the only way to protect yourself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit