Is it possible for any Country to have “Reasonable” Gun Laws? What would they be?

by pistolpete 70 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• TD
    TD

Pete

Where does this logic break down?

The break in logic occurs via the assumption that murder rates and other forms of violence are a single ingredient recipe. Criminologists have looked for a direct correlation between guns and violence and been unable to find it. A country, like the former Soviet Union for example, can have a gun ownership rate of effectively 0% and still have a murder rate of roughly twice what we have here in the U.S.

Mass shootings make me physically ill and it is tough to keep emotion out of the discussion. But the fact remains that an ordinary pump-action shotgun will put more lead into the air faster than a so-called, "Assault rifle" The term "Assault rifle" itself is one the Left coined to describe civilian variants of modern military rifles and as such, it is misleading and inaccurate. No military force on earth uses the AR family of rifle. It is not a battlefield weapon and never has been.

Personally, I would like to see the bar for gun ownership raised considerably. There's a saying here in my state to the effect that it's very easy to buy a gun here, but it's even easier to go to jail for a long, long time because of it. The laws regarding the carry and use of a firearm are quite complex and most gun owners are not versed nearly well enough.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Interesting thread.

One point that I think is worth keeping in mind is that it just isn't possible to eliminate guns and other lethal weapons entirely, and I don't think Americans will give their up.

Hence, guns and other weapons do need sensible regulation.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

How did this monster get a gun? Could we have prevented it?

That's like asking; Could we have prevented this!

In Australia, an estimated 20,000 children are reported missing every year.
    Australian Federal Police, National Coordination Centre.

In Canada, an estimated 45,288 children are reported missing each year.
    Government of Canada, Canada’s Missing – 2015 Fast Fact Sheet.

In Germany, an estimated 100,000 children are reported missing each year.
    Initiative Vermisste Kinder.

In India, an estimated 96,000 children go missing each year.
    Bachpan Bachao Andolan, Missing Children of India.

In Jamaica, an estimated 1,984 children were reporting missing in 2015.
    Jamaica’s Office of Children’s Registry

In Russia, an estimated 45,000 children were reported missing in 2015.
    Interview with Pavel Astakhov MIA “Russia Today”, Apr. 4, 2016.

In Spain, an estimated 20,000 children are reported missing every year.
    Spain Joins EU Hotline for Missing Children, Sep. 22, 2010.

In the United Kingdom, an estimated 112,853 children are reported missing every year.
    National Crime Agency, UK Missing Persons Bureau.

In the United States, an estimated 460,000 children are reported missing every year.
    Federal Bureau of Investigation, NCIC.

https://globalmissingkids.org/awareness/missing-children-statistics/

don't just insist it was inevitable like some fatalist doomsayer

REALLY!!!!

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

Prior to my career change some years ago I used to be a retail manager. I've sold hundreds of guns over two decades in Florida. When President Obama was elected and when there was any hint of serious gun laws being introduced there was a surge on buying both guns and ammo. I would have people line up at 4am at the sporting goods department just for a chance to buy a gun. We never knew what was coming in and when. Yet people would line up. Rifles that would sell for $700 would be purchased and resold for $2100. We ran out of ammo within minutes. I predict all this will happen again if it hasn't already. I've been out of the retail business for 5 years so haven't paid much attention. But I can tell you that what the Democrats propose to do will only increase the demand for guns and ammo.

I read through President Elect Biden's proposal and even if these laws get past they will be very difficult to enforce. There currently is no national database on who owns the nearly 400 million guns in circulation. I own 7 guns and only one I bought from a store and filled out an ATF 4473. That form is stored in a box at the store. The other guns I bought private party and there is no link to my name.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    I predict all this will happen again if it hasn't already.

Just try to get ammo now. It's like TP at the beginning of the epidemic.

I read through President Elect Biden's proposal and even if these laws get past they will be very difficult to enforce.

Yeah, there will be no compliance with those laws (if they can manage to get them passed). And they won't stand through the courts. Just hot air.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

The only way Biden can do what he thinks he can is if they win both seats in the GA run off and pack the SC. Otherwise it will be knocked down as unconstitutional. As far as ammo goes so many of us reload ammo. So it would be near impossible to stop ammo. Not to mention remember 1994

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

pistolpete...You do realize that the website you linked is advocating DOING something about the problem of missing children.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

TD...the assertion was "more guns equals more safety." I simply asked those who believe that, if the logic held true that proliferation of powerful weapons increase safety. I did not make the mistake of oversimplifying human behavior as you suggest. People will hurt each other with whatever means they have, if motivated to. That understanding is behind the logic of locking up the kitchen knives if an argument breaks out. It also is behind the logic of gun regulation.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

pistolpete...You do realize that the website you linked is advocating DOING something about the problem of missing children.

Yes and how are we doing so far.........................

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    Yes and how are we doing so far

Better than we would have if you were in charge of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit