Ex-Jehovah's Witness elder jailed for sex assaults on schoolgirl

by LevelThePlayingField 45 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Which I think most people recognize as being a mistake.

What is your basis for this assertion?

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I think the legal consequences are fair even after all these years. That he was dfd even.

I hope that he has been changed and is truly remorseful and didnt do it again.

Had he been remorseful and repentent to his victim decades ago, both their lives would not now be destroyed. There is repentence of some sort in every faith system. Also the concept of trying to make the victim whole. Even aA has the concept. Humans need it, both the perps and victims, for there to be any sense of closure or justice. Whether it involves legal system or not. Funny thing is the jw system would have still revictimized the victim and protected the perp, while the worldly system would be more protective of victim. Had jws dealt with it then, they would be getting sued now, but had the justice system been involved, both people would have more likely not had shattered lives now . She'd get justice and he'd pay for his wrong and both then allowed to move forward.

• Simon
    Simon
    What is your basis for this assertion?

That people are generally unhappy when it looks like someone avoids even having to answer the accusations all based on some arbitrary time limit.

I think we're starting to see a change in society and how abuse is viewed that I expect will result in revised legislation to address some of the current loopholes.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

JWD: the jw system would have still revictimized the victim and protected the perp, while the worldly system would be more protective of victim.

Exactly!

• Simon
    Simon
    My take is that we should not confuse or conflate our outrage over the pervasive institutional covering up of crimes such as pedophilia by the WTBTS and other religions with how each individual case should be dealt with.

You seem to be of the opinion that the cover-up of the crime is worse than the crime itself. So, if you want to let-off the perpetrator then the same surely applies to the cover up as well. If enough time passes then the WTS should be forgiven because they have 'moved on' even thought they did nothing positive to help?

Sorry, I just don't agree with where your reasoning inevitably leads. The perpetrator of the crime is the most guilty and the people who cover it up guilty of lesser but still serious crimes. None of them should get off and simply walk away just because someone marked a square on a calendar.

And forgiveness was not the WTS's to give ... only the victim has the power to do that. Unless you believe the WTS speaks for god as well.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    i think these historic cases of abuse could easily get way out of control. most times theres no evidence--and its just one persons word against another. also--accusations could be made against any of us.
  • Simon
    Simon

No one is suggesting that we just lock people up with no evidence. The normal rules of justice need to apply - guilt should be beyond reasonable doubt A prosecution should only be brought if there is a reasonable chance of a conviction which one person's word probably wouldn't be enough for.

What I'm saying is that they shouldn't automatically be discounted from facing trial with a blanket rule. Suppose 40 people come forward with the same stories of abuse against the same person and together can provide facts and evidence and there is justifiable reason for them being afraid to come forward sooner? Why should the defence only need to say "sorry, tick tock, too long ... you snooze, you loose"?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

You seem to be of the opinion that the cover-up of the crime is worse than the crime itself.

This perception is only in your mind. I most certainly DO NOT hold the opinion you have stated above.

Once again, I never said anything to even hint at that. I merely said they are separate issues. Please do not misconstrue my words.

So, if you want to let-off the perpetrator then the same surely applies to the cover up as well.

I do NOT want to "let-off the perpetrator." Again, I never said such a thing. Please desist from claiming I have made statements which I have not made.

Also, your conclusion does not follow from your premise. They are separate issues and should be handled separately. I did say that previously in this thread.

Simon, You have a recurring tendency to accuse me of holding opinions, thoughts and beliefs which I do not have and have never expressed, and when I explicitly state I do not hold these ideas you repeatedly refuse to acknowledge that. It's rather annoying.

Sorry, I just don't agree with where your reasoning inevitably leads.

That's okay, it's not my reasoning, it's yours. You are disagreeing with your own misperceptions about things you imagine I think, but which I do not.

Please stop.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Creepy. Pedos don't change, in my professional experience. They can't.

I was just talking to another former therapist about treatment effectiveness. She specialized in these types of perps. She said she thinks one or two stopped offending over the course of her career, and she stipulated she can only confirm they hadn't been caught again.

As to the remark in the OP, "This is becoming more common," do you mean media stories about it are more common, or the crimes themselves? If the crimes, what are you basing this on?

• rebel8
    rebel8

i think these historic cases of abuse could easily get way out of control. most times theres no evidence--and its just one persons word against another. also--accusations could be made against any of us.

You do realize this individual admitted the crime and was convicted by trial, right?!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit