Should Bush Make His STATE Visit To The UK Next Week?

by Englishman 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Note that I'm talking about a State visit, not your run-of-the-mill political scenario.

State visits from visiting Presidents, Kings and Queens involve open-top parades through Pall Mall next to Queen Lizzie in an open landau, several nights in the best suite at Buckingham Palace, soldiers and guardsmen in full regalia and banquets galore until the excellent food pops out your ears. That's a State visit. I don't think that we've had a full State visit from a US president since JFK.

Now, our good friend George Dubya is expected for a state visit next week. However, it's expected to be a somewhat curtailed affair due to fear of terrorism and an expected anti-war demonstration. This is how the public are reacting to george's impending State visit: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/3260185.stm

I welcome George Dubya, BTW, but I'm sure that one or two people might just think differently..

Englishman.

• Simon
    Simon

As long as we don't have to shut down the whole of london and people are allowed to protest then sure, let him come. I hope the protests are not shut down in the disgraceful way that they were when the Chinese visited. Also, they should not abuse the anti-terrorism laws to suppress people demonstrating.

Sadly, I will not be attending, I did intend to make a giant pollystyrene pretzel with "choke on this Mr Bush" but I would probably have been covertly snatched from the crowd and taken to camp X-Ray. I've always fancied visiting cuba but Guantanamo bay is not what I had in mind

• Englishman
    Englishman

OMG!

There's me getting out me Union Jack and Stars and Stripes to wave frantically if there was a parade.

Fancy accompanying me Simon?

Englishman.

• Dansk
    Dansk

If it means a holiday I'm all for it. If not, IT SUCKS!

Ian

• Seven
    Seven
    Should Bush Make His STATE Visit To The UK Next Week?

No! Stay at home and make an appearance at the next factory closing. Great photo op-hand out winter coats for kids.

I hope the protests are not shut down in the disgraceful way that they were when the Chinese visited. Also, they should not abuse the anti-terrorism laws to suppress people demonstrating.

I'm sure Livingstone will jump at the chance to turn security into a political issue.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Seven,

Keep up with the times.

No! Stay at home and make an appearance at the next factory closing. Great photo op-hand out winter coats for kids.

The economy grew almost 8% last quarter, higher than at any time in the last 20 years...and employment rates are rising as companies realize they now have to hire in order to grow anymore. The dems have lost another drum they can beat.

Let him go to London IF it helps T. Blair, who really took a hit politically by supporting Bush (and thank God For him).

• Simon
    Simon

Could we convince him to take his poodle back home after the visit?

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

No, but he has to eat Kidney Pudding every day for lunch.

• Seven
    Seven

Yeru,

I am keeping up with the times. My survival depends upon it. I just hired a fry cook with a college degree.

The economy is looking pretty good-on paper. Exports are up in spite of the 41.3 bill trade def. New unemployment claims suggest stability. Sure. Plenty of minimum wage jobs to go around. Land two or three of them and you'll get a 40 hr week. Maybe even enough to afford a doctor's visit. I just know what I see Yeru and it isn't right.

I've been a Republican all of my young life because I want to keep what I've worked so hard to build. Maybe things are boomin' where you're at. Good for you. There's such a gap between the haves and the have nots here it's obscene. We have some pretty caring people around here who help the displaced workers all they can but the politicians aren't doing their part.

Anyhow, let GB have a great time. The American people can eat cake.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit
    The American people can eat cake.

Why should they get a free lunch?

Expatbrit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit