Should Bush Make His STATE Visit To The UK Next Week?

by Englishman 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith
    I hope he's treated hospitably.

I honestly have no doubt about that.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

No, the best we have to offer is the 101st Airborne, which Uday and Qusay had an interesting time hosting during their recent State Visit.

CZAR

Now that is funny

• core
    core
    I really hope that the lefties don't let us down when he arrives. I really do.

Sorry Englishman - not all who appreciate freedom, integrity & honesty are "righties" - this man is a war criminal in the eyes of many (by the way - is he bringing proof of the WMD by any chance, or just his ego?) Why should he be treated with anything other than what he deserves - contempt and ridicule - what would you have people do - fawn over this man? Frankly your comments indicate a serious flaw in your judgement - free speech has been won in this country - not given - objection to such as Bush is a right you should be proud to uphold - or are only "righties" allowed to demonstrate?

BTW the last state visit from a US president was over 60 years ago

BTW2 the ruling english family is Windsor not Hanover

• Englishman
    Englishman
    Frankly your comments indicate a serious flaw in your judgement - free speech has been won in this country - not given - objection to such as Bush is a right you should be proud to uphold - or are only "righties" allowed to demonstrate?

Wow, what a conclusion to jump to!

If I say I don't like the idea of lefties giving Bush a hard time, how does that give you the right to assume that I am a "rightie"?

FYI, I'm fairly central in my political view and I do uphold the right of the people to protest. I just hope that the protests are done in a dignified manner and not merely as a publicity seeking device that will reflect badly on our country.

Englishman.

• core
    core
    If I say I don't like the idea of lefties giving Bush a hard time, how does that give you the right to assume that I am a "rightie"?

FYI, I'm fairly central in my political view and I do uphold the right of the people to protest. I just hope that the protests are done in a dignified manner and not merely as a publicity seeking device that will reflect badly on our country.

Never made an assumption that you are a "rightie" - however it sems you have made one that all protesters are "lefties"

Why demonstrators who protest will reflect on the country is unclear to me - certainly some will try (as with most things) to hijack reasonable actions to serve sinister ends - protesting in a dignified manner is what I hope we see - many who do protest will be from across the political spectrum - not just the "left" (is there a left in UK today?) lots of people are appalled at the warmongering of the Bush/Blair Axis - who is next on the list?

Bush fighting his election soon so the visit is out of all bounds of normal protocol (Foreign Secretary Straw on Today programme made a complete pratt of himself defending the status of visit as a "State" one as against a "head of state visit" as JFK etc made.) as he will use it (and has apparently said he will as reported by the BBC) to make political capital in the US. Why we should serve his ends is something I cannot see.

What aim/body/purpose would be seeking publicity by inappropriate protesting - I would think that subversive elements would (and often do) try to turn fair and reasonable protest into blood letting - who these are I can only guess -

Englishman - delighted that you are middle of the road in poilitics - please don't assume that because I am opposed to Bush & his visit this makes me a "leftie" - far from the truth as I am a card carrying fan of the great Iron Lady.

Hope I did not offend you in my post but the loss of life / lack of WMD etc etc etc has just convinced me that I should start the Cynics Party in the UK as most of those I talk to are not deceived bythe lies of politicians (of all colours) and most of those I talk to see the recent "war" as an act of US aggression.Yes I hope for dignified protest - I also hope for a world in which no nation acts to defend its own interests using pretexts and ruses which twist & turn in the winds of time. I also hope for a world in which those with opposing views are not categorised as "lefties" - as if in some way insane or unclean (or "righties" for that matter) - I await (for a long time no doubt) some US action against the situation in Burma - in which free speech etc is stifled - the list of suitable places is long - not all of them have Oil however and as the man once said re Iraq - "if they just grew cabbages then no one would have invaded"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit