Oops, I did it again! Flag placed in the KH: Chile 2016

by ILoveTTATT2 43 Replies latest jw friends

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    hat's from the Branch correspondence guidelines? Where can I get a copy of that
    Never mind... got it!
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Here is a link to a Wiki article about the celebrations .. It sure looks Patriotic to me !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiestas_Patrias_(Chile)

The first year we were told about this I wrote to the Santiago Branch office . They replied as follows:

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

Thanks blues brother! I would like a PDF or higher resolution copy, any chance of getting one?

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Hey John Free!

Watchtower is breaking its own rules on this matter in order to save money. In their own literature flags are referred to as 'objects of veneration'. Objects of veneration are idols. Also in their own literature it isn't simply the veneration of idols that is condemned but the very possession of an idol that is condemned.

When driving your car in another country you normally need to display some kind of national identification mark on the rear.

Also see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_the_European_Union

Also don't ships, boats and yachts etc need to display an ensign at certain times?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ensign

Watchtower 15 January 1977, page 63, paragraph 4

Questions From Readers: May a Christian raise or lower a flag at his place of work?

Often the national flag is displayed at public buildings and assembly places, such as firehouses, municipal offices and schools. In view of their respect for the government and what is used to represent it, Jehovah’s Witnesses have no objection to being in or working at buildings where the national flag is on display. Similarly, a flag might appear on postage stamps, automobile plates or other government-produced items. Yet that does not mean that a person of the public who uses such is necessarily participating in devotional acts toward the flag. What is significant is not the presence of a flag but how a person acts toward it, what he does.

Link to scans

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    Over lapping generations, blood fractions, etc, well ok, but nothing annoys me more than the chilean flag issue. If anyone thinks that hanging it isn't worshiping it, then my suggestion would be go hang a flag ( and by extention of that a Christmas tree) out side your house and see what sort of reaction you get from the local JWS. I can't help but think what a kick in the guts it would be for those who got beaten up, lost their jobs, and humiliated in the 1950s over the flag issue, to now see this. All over a couple of hundred bucks.
  • darkspilver
    darkspilver

Hey joe134cd!

If anyone thinks that hanging it isn't worshiping it, then my suggestion would be go hang a flag ( and by extention of that a Christmas tree) out side your house and see what sort of reaction you get from the local JWS.

No, the issue is what is caesar's law?

The vast majority of countries do not have a law that requires non-governmental public buildings (or, indeed private houses) to display the flag:

• In Austria in 1938 there was a law requiring the display of the flag
    • In Chile there is a law requiring the displaying of the flag on non-governmental public buildings on one-day-a-year.
    • There is NO law requiring the display of the flag on your house in your country.

That's the difference.

Don't get me wrong - I do think it is an issue - but you gotta make sure it is the right issue - actually I'm kinda surprised they don't get the CO's to strongly lean on congregations at least 'off-the-record.'

It may be the law that your private car number plate needs to display the flag of the country you are from - that is OK

If I put a flag sticker on my car - not required by law - that would not be allowable for JWs

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

(Leviticus 26:1) 26 “‘YOU must not make valueless gods for yourselves, and YOU must not set up a carved image or a sacred pillar for yourselves, and YOU must not put a stone as a showpiece in YOUR land in order to bow down toward it; for I am Jehovah YOUR God.

*** w02 9/15 p. 24 “Salvation Belongs to Jehovah” ***Suppose one is not asked to salute the flag but merely to hold it, either in a parade or in a classroom or elsewhere, so that others can salute. Rather than ‘fleeing from idolatry,’ as commanded in the Scriptures, this would actually mean being at the very center of the ceremony.

It is splitting hairs.

If the law requires you to put a flag... that's ok. If the law requires you to hold a flag... that's not ok. If the law requires you to somehow participate in the ceremony... that's not ok. If you want to wear your national team's colors on a jersey... not ok...
  • darkspilver
    darkspilver
    Hi ILoveTTATT2!

If the law requires you to put a flag... that's ok. If the law requires you to hold a flag... that's not ok.

They would say that merely placing the flag on a building is not a ceremony.

Many public buildings have national flags on them, raised and lowered by a caretaker with no ceremony.

The problem is if it is some kind ceremony - holding or placing a flag so others can salute it is being part of a ceremony.

Does anyone walk by the flag on the KHs and salute it? Any uniformed soldiers for example?

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    Does anyone walk by the flag on the KHs and salute it? Any uniformed soldiers for example?
    You never know. But technically, by the definition of the 2002 Watchtower, they're being "asked" to "hold it so that others can salute"... so... yeah.
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd

Darkspliver= The law also requires military service in times of war. Are we just following a formality because Ceasars law requires it, but at the same time still loving our fellow man. Or its not really a conchious matter because the government commands it, and are we breaking God's law.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit