Witnesses and laziness

by Enishi 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Sorry, I was going to read the initial post, but it was too much work.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Enishi,

Good. The less you did in the org hopefully the less you will be hurt by it. Read up on nutrition, vitamins, herbs, etc. Take good care of yourself and maybe develop one hobby you like. Don't have one? Try one at a time until you find something you enjoy. Doing something productive that you also enjoy just might cheer you up and then it will affect the other areas of your life as well.

When I read that someone didn't do much while in the org. I smile. This is very good news, you know? You are smarter than you maybe you give yourself credit for.

Heather

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Sorry, I was going to read the initial post, but it was too much work.

Phantom, excellent wit you have there.

Heather

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

In defense of at least one pioneer I know (knew) in Germany, this guy WORKED HARD. He got up at 3 AM to deliver news papers so that he could be out and pioneering by 8 AM. He then had some small job in the afternoon getting off just in time to make meetings.

He raised his family from these two small jobs (and lived in German Housing Projects (an old US ARMY base of all things). When he came to the US he went to work full time and quit the pioneering thing. Nice guy...one of the Dubs that make you have hope that they might change some day.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    Is it just me, or does the dub lifestyle encourage astounding degrees of laziness?

I would say no, not directly. The "dub lifestyle" does encourage a heavy dose of apathy however. As a Witness the vibrant moment, that in which life is alive, is overshadowed by a time not yet. Thus, in a very real sense being a Witness is like being the walking dead (which can be interpreted as "laziness, I guess). http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/46613/1.ashx j

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hey Pistoff

How about being in your mid 40's and subconsciously you think you should not have to still be working and putting up with the boredom of the meetings because the NEW SYSTEM did not show up? OR.............how about waking up in your 40's to realize you allowed yourself to be badly duped by this corporation masquerading as a religion???

I can identify wholly with your comments and could get depressed very easily if I dwelt on same. This is why I immersed myself in plenty of reading as soon as I came out of dubdum. I read The Gentile Times Reconsidered by COJ, then I read Crisis of Conscience by Raymond Franz and then I ordered In Search of Christian Freedom by the same author, plus a couple of other books on a similar theme. Half way through Franz's second book I realised I'd learnt enough about Watchtower and that my decision to leave was absolutely right. I completed the book but it had become somewhat tedious for me and I barely looked at the other anti-Watchtower books on my shelf. In between the books I read I also researched Ancient Bible History and the roots of the Bible itself. I decided the Bible is baloney when it comes to being inspired of God, that Jesus was not God's son and that much of what is written is fable - though I also accept it contains some good morals for a happy life. Having come to these realisations I then went back to reading up on my first love, Buddhism. I took up yoga, judo, watch far less television and I go out more. What I'm trying to say is that, yes, we can feel robbed and cheated of our best years through being in the Borg, but then I always think that if I'd not been in it it would have had immense ramifications on all aspects of my life. I may not now have the children I have, because not being in the Borg and where I was at the time, I may well have been elsewhere and so the boys would never have been conceived. Perhaps I'd have been less moral and done some dastardly deeds - I just don't know. Perhaps life COULD have been better - I don't know that, either. So, Pistoff, I like to think that, at 49, my life really started when I left Watchtower. We're a lot more mature in our 40s and we look at life differently to 20 and 30-year-olds. People are living longer and can be a lot healthier these days, so age really is a state of mind. I can do more pressups now, for example, than I could when I was in my 20s, which I consider to be the fittest time of my life. Occasionally, I have moments when I feel angered at what Watchtower has done and what might have been had I not joined it - but then I think of the ramifications on my life again and content myself with what I have now. Keeping one's body and mind active really does help as it prevents idle time - time when one is apt to think back at the bad times.

I've read many of your posts here and they have always been interesting. You've a lot to offer people who need upbuilding because of your intelligence and empathy. Consider that a gift and continue to share. I know you helped me with a certain post some time back - and I daresay you've helped many more without realising it. The same can be said for others who post here but who think they're pretty nigh useless. No-one is useless. Everyone who has been through what we've been through and discovered what we've discovered is a virtual expert on cults. We need to use that expertise to help others - especially the newbies who come here and feel helpless and lonely.

If you ever need to chat just contact me. My details have been posted a number of times, or you can pm me.

I look forward to your further contributions here.

Best wishes,

Dansk

• Englishman
    Englishman
    So, Pistoff, I like to think that, at 49, my life really started when I left Watchtower.

Damn! I've just lost another father-figure.

Englishman.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Enishi as Ex-dub:

difficult to focus, and whenever I try to devote time to work or study I find it hard to remain on task, almost as if some part of my mind is subtly discouraging me from trying too hard

Enishi as dub:

I never studied for the meetings, only read bits and pieces of the literature at my own leisure, and was sporadic when it came to meeting attendance

Is there a pattern emerging here?

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Damn! I've just lost another father-figure.

Cheeky git

Ian

• Emma
    Emma

I don't know if it's so much that they're lazy but that they just don't care about anything. They're not allowed to care; hobbies, outside reading, entertainment are looked down upon. There's nothing intellectual really going on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit