Witnesses and laziness

by Enishi 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

The really bad thing, though, is while being that apathetic, they are also not forging memories and relationships with shunned family and former friends.

CG

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal
    I can't fathom thinking the JW lifestyle encourages laziness. You are supposed to have the cleanest house and car. You are supposed to have the nicest yard.

How are you supposed to hae the cleanest house, car and nicest yard when you're expected to spend all those weekends in service?

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal
    So laziness has to be reserved for kind of mental laziness.

I would say it's a mental laziness....witnesses are even told what to meditate on.

e.g. a portion of scripture can tell you what kind of person Jehovah is

consider how the Biblical account you are reading contributes to the Bible's theme: the vindication of Jehovah's sovereignty and the santification of his name by the Kingdom under Jesus Christ, the promised seed (this thing about Jesus is NEW) Before this it was always the kingdom and it would stop there.

how can you mkae personal application of what you are reading and

give thought to how you might use what you are reading to help others

There is never any encouragement to just meditate on the chapters you've read just to understand the meaning of what is being said.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Oh excuse me, we are not supposed to meditate on the words of the Bible--we are not supposed to come to any conclusions on our own because we may come up with apostate ideas. Where is my mind???

• Joker10
    Joker10

Actually, people after leaving the organization have become lazy and bored with nothing to do. There was a thread some time ago about this subject.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I would agree that the word we're looking for here is apathy. We have a corporate neutrality regarding politics. I remember out in service one day an elder explained that if the whole world became Witnesses, nobody would be able to make decisions, because everyone would decide not to rule themselves, and therefore nobody would be setting sewage rates. He actually said "Nobody would be able to set the sewage rate."

I'm like, what, you mean Jesus is going to pop downstairs and say, "Hey, pay for the sewage!"

Blinking hard!

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit