Stalking people

by Esmeralda001 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I know an elder who stalked his daughter's husband until finding "evidence" that he was having someone of the opposite sex stay overnight with him, thus allowing the daughter/wife to get a "scriptural divorce".

Doc

• Gentledawn
    Gentledawn
    What a creep!!! Were you suspected of wrongdoing?

At which point? As a study or after baptism? Remember, I was a full-blown adult when starting to study, not a born-in or teenager.

And even then, that would put the blame for the stalking behavior upon me (the victim).

My family tried to warn and stop me from having anything to do with these cultists. No one else in my family was caught up in any of this crap. They (JWs) twist and use scriptures to make it seem okay to turn your back on your friends, family and anyone else who would red-flag this group and ones like it.

I was torn for a long time. I never regarded my family or friends as evil, but soon even my own actions (past and present) became 'evil'. That made it easier to see "evil" at every turn, in every one else, just like seeing signs of this being the end days.

What a crock. All of it is fear-inducing malarkey, in order to make a person more easy to bend to their will.

Here's a helpful video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaUhR-tRkHY

• Londo111
    Londo111

Esmeralda,

Again I will reiterate what Jesus said, "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit."--Matthew 7:15-17

What kind of fruit have you seen from this organization thus far? What should that tell you about them? What would Jesus say regarding such a group who behaved like this?

Before you get any deeper I implore you to read the following books by former Governing Body member Ray Franz:

Crisis of Conscience

In Search of Christian Freedom

• shepherdless
    shepherdless
    Mary was somewhat apprehensive about the legal aspects but felt that in this situation Bible principles should carry more weight than the requirement that she protect the privacy of the medical records. Surely the sister would not want to become resentful and try to retaliate by making trouble for her, she reasoned. So when Mary analyzed all the facts available to her, she decided conscientiously that this was a time to "speak," not to "keep quiet."

Great posts Gentledawn. I will have to get a copy of Watchtower, September 1, 1987.

• Gentledawn
    Gentledawn
    Great posts Gentledawn. I will have to get a copy of Watchtower, September 1, 1987.

Yeah, it makes sense that the online pubs available through official channels only go back to the year 2000, especially when considering how wonky some teachings and claims were in previous years. This 1987 issue came out before I joined. There was another article from back then that talked about women needing to scream prior to and during being raped, or they would be DFd for fornication? Also, when researching that, there were other accounts (fictitious) of women who called on the name of Jehovah and the rapist left them alone or some clap-trap?

Weird stuff. Unbelievable.

• Esmeralda001
    Esmeralda001

@gentledawn

After you got baptized.

My study conductor assured me that I wouldn't never have to abandon my parents as they are the ones who brought me on this earth.

@Londo111

I'll take your suggestion in consideration. Thank you for your advice. It is very much appreciated.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    yes, stalking quite a bit is the norm.
  • Esmeralda001
    Esmeralda001
    My fb profil is private anyway.
  • label licker
    label licker

We had the goons sitting outside our property gates the one Sat morning for over five hours. The gates were locked with No Trespassing signs on each side of the gate. They waited until afternoon when my husband went to unlock the gates to df him at the end of our lane. We did absolutely nothing wrong except not go to any more of our meetings because they were involved in illegal activity along with a df'd person. On top of that, not once in over a year did they come to see what was wrong and no shepherding calls. However, we had a brother and his son go pass our property every day on roller blades and sit at the end of our lane trying to see in. We caught them a few times.

Don't be fooled if they do show up every so often into thinking they really care. Ours would come to our butcher shop and look around, stay for an hour and a half and then head back to the hall. Not once did they even open up their bibles. No spiritual conversations whatsoever. The fill-in co had come twice in a year and almost a half and each visit he would dump off ten mags both times in our mail box. Yippee!.

I wish we could have had them charged back then but we were still in that scared mode. Now, I wish I would have gotten my twenty-two out and fired a couple of shots in the air to really scare them off.

The measures that some elders will go through just to get their time in is pathetic to say the least. All in the little town of Elmira, Ontario.

• label licker
    label licker

Home > Crime Prevention > Criminal Harassment: Stalking -- It's NOT Love

Criminal Harassment: Stalking -- It's NOT Love

Criminal Harassment: Stalking -- It's NOT Love
    PDF 468 kb

What Is It?

Criminal harassment, more commonly known as STALKING, is a crime. Generally it consists of repeated conduct that is carried out over a period of time and which causes you to reasonably fear for your safety or the safety of someone known to you. Stalking does not have to result in physical injury in order to make it a crime. The law protects you even if the conduct of the stalker is not done with the intent to scare you. It is enough if the conduct does scare you. This may be an advance warning of the possibility of future violent acts.

Are you or someone you know being STALKED?

Are you afraid for your safety or the safety of someone known to you because of the words or actions of another person?

1. Is someone repeatedly following you or someone known to you from place to place? Repeatedly is more than one time and does not have to be for an extended period of time. The incidents may have occurred during the same day.
    2. Is someone repeatedly communicating with you, either directly or indirectly?
      1. Directly can be by telephone, in person, leaving messages on answering machines, or sending unwanted gifts, notes, letters or e-mails.
      2. Indirectly can be by contacting people you know and having messages sent through them or simply by making repeated unwanted inquiries about you.
    3. Is someone persistently close by or watching your home or any place where you or anyone known to you live, work, carry on business or happen to be?
    4. Have you or any member of your family been threatened by this person?

If you can answer YES to any of these questions you or someone you know may be a victim of CRIMINAL HARASSMENT - STALKING.

What to do and NOT to do

You are NOT alone! Break the silence:

• Call the police.
    • Contact a community help service.
    • Talk to a friend, co-worker or family member.

Maintain detailed notes about the stalking conduct. Dates, times, places, actions and threats are easier to explain and remember when written down.

Keep all recorded telephone messages, e-mails, gifts, letters or notes that have been sent by the individual. Keep a list of emergency numbers posted in several locations. Emergency numbers should include:

• police;
    • immediate family;
    • friends;
    • co-workers; and
    • victim’s advocacy groups.

Pay attention to incidents that may seem coincidental. Are you suddenly running into this person more often? If you are not sure if you are being stalked contact the police.

Do NOT agree to have contact with a person who you think may be stalking you - contact the police. Each stalking situation is different. Consider that sometimes, when a stalker is confronted or meets with resistance, he/she may react with violence or the conduct may escalate.

What do we know about stalkers in Canada?

Criminal harassment (stalking) is not an activity that is attributed to any one specific psychiatric diagnosis. There is no single profile of a stalker that exists. It appears that the main motivation for stalking another person is the desire to control, particularly in cases where the subject is a former partner.
    Individuals who stalk may possess one or more various psychological conditions, from personality disorders to mental illness. Most individuals who stalk are engaging in obsessional behaviour. They have persistent thoughts and ideas concerning the object of their attentions. A stalker does not necessarily have a psychiatric disorder.

Legal History of Criminal Harassment
    Stalking is not new but recognition of it as a distinct criminal behaviour took place on August 1, 1993. The creation of the new offence of criminal harassment was introduced as a specific response to violence against women. The creation of Section 264 of the Criminal Code of Canada makes this conduct a crime.

Types of stalkers*

Simple Obsessional: The majority of these stalkers have been in some form of relationship with the victim. The contact may have been minimal, such as a blind date, but more commonly is a prolonged dating relationship, common law union or marriage. The perpetrator refuses to recognize that the relationship with the other person is over and the prevailing attitude is “if I can’t have her (or him) then no one else will.” A campaign of harassment, intimidation and psychological terror is mounted. The motivation for the harassment and stalking varies from revenge to the false belief that they can convince or coerce the victim back into the relationship.

Erotomanic: Is convinced that the object of his or her attention, usually of the opposite sex, fervently loves him or her and would return the affection if it were not for some external influence. The person about whom this conviction is held is usually of a higher status than the stalker but is often not a celebrity. It could be the supervisor at work, their child’s pediatrician, their church minister or the police officer who stopped them for a traffic violation but did not charge them. Sometimes it can be a complete stranger.

Love Obsessional: The stalker can be obsessed in his or her “love” without possessing the belief that the victim loves him or her. Very often the love obsessional stalker suffers from a major psychiatric illness such as schizophrenia or mania and wants to “win over” the love of his or her victim.

Another recognized but not well studied group of stalkers are those who stalk as a component to their paraphiliac (sexually deviant) focus. Some rapists and pedophiles have stalked because it is incorporated in their sexually deviant fantasies. Some sexual sadist will go through “behavioural try-outs” that will include stalking.

For more information and resources on family and relationship violence, please visit:
    http://www.rcmp.ca/cp-pc/index-eng.htm to view our other brochures:

• Dating Violence - Say NO!
    • Effects of Family Violence on Children - Where does it Hurt?
    • Intimate Partner Violence and Abuse - It can be stopped

These brochures can also be ordered at a cost from St. Joseph Corporation. For ordering information please contact them at their toll free number: 1-888-562-5561.

*Source: Federal Provincial-Territorial Working Group on Criminal Harassment. “A Handbook for Police and Crown Prosecutors on Criminal Harassment,” 1999, Ottawa, Dept. of Justice Canada.

© 2012 HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN IN RIGHT OF CANADA
    as represented by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
    Cat. no.: PS64-19/2012

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit