what defines your life now?

by franklin J 23 Replies latest jw friends

• lovinlife
    lovinlife

Great subject...

For me, I would have to say that the word "UNCONDITIONAL" sums it up for me now. I have finally found unconditional love with my fiance (never a witness, thank god). I keep showing unconditional love to my daughter (which is finally producing results). I now have great friends...because we all care about each other unconditionally. I guess that sums it up...

• Sassy
    Sassy

My priorities define my life now.

· My boyfriend

· My children

· His children

· and time for me.

not specifically in that order.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

I used work for a good long while. It's a comment on being a JW that being a workaholic is healthier. At least you have the opportunity to accomplish something concrete, as part of a team, with tangible results, and with tangible rewards.

After a decade of that, I'd taken the work-aholic approach as far as it would go - not that I had no career advancement in front of me, but it wasn't fooling me any longer - I needed to get clear about what I wanted and what I was capable of, and let go of old baggage that was in my way.

So, 7 years and a few seminars and books later, I have my own business, a wonderful relationship with my fiancee, I regularly engage in more activities than I ever dreamed of as a kid (hiking, camping, X-C skiing -last season I learned whitewater kayaking and I may take on snowboarding this year), and I make part of my income by writing for a living. How cool is that? I read a lot all the time, I have two books and a screenplay I tinker with, and I meet really cool people all the time (mostly just through chatting them up- people are a lot friendlier when you aren't handing them a tract:)

I made it a point of working hard - h-a-r-d. Part of that was to earn approval - that was the program I learned as a kid - approval from myself and others. Once I finally got clear that no one was going to kick me off of the bus for not doing everything perfectly - that I deserve success just as much as any other human - things actually got a lot easier in my life. I give to the community, I educate and volunteer, and I actively promote causes that I believe in. I'm leaving this place better than I found it - Ecclesiastes be damned.

• DJ
    DJ

Fear no longer defines my life. I've held onto the teachings of Christ and try to apply his teaching about being loving toward others. I don't get all hyped up about material things anymore and I have found that life is much simpler now. I'm trying to raise decent kids and be a good wife to my husband. Litte things are important and happiness is within.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

School takes lots of my time

Love interest that isn't as needy as most guys takes up some

Mountain bike is my release

Parents that always make me smile

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Very good question, Franklin.

I think a lot of people (JW's) who leave a "high control group" (cult) have difficulty at first redefining their lives. We had lived in such a restricted box, that for some freedom is scary.

But once you taste true freedom, there is nothing better. (well, that I would write about, that is ) To look to oneself for values, respect and love and then to display that in your life makes one a better person, imho. We were robots before, surpressing who we were and obeying. But now we can define who we really are and have the satisfaction that we are our own person. Our own definer of life. And we continually grown and learn from others.

Welcome to all the new ones who commented on this thread. This board is getting so busy now it is hard to keep up with everyone.

j2bf

• mustang
    mustang

What defines my world? or a "new value system"???

1) My Significant Other.

2) Building a future with #1.

3) My(our) work.

4) Going forward with #2 & #3.

5) Discarding baggage outside of 1-4.

This was easier than I thought!!!

Mustang

• Carmel
    Carmel

Are you looking for confirmation that you've made the right choice or are you looking for something more profound to anchor your psyche?

caveman

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

You better believe it holmes, you got a problem with that?

• cat1759
    cat1759

Just pure freedom this May 24. After a life of JWs, family, I am going to be able to comb the beach, go to nightclubs, maybe even smoke something fun. I love astrology and reading and that right now defines my life as I have not had to much time in the past 25yrs. I do plan on finishing up a Bachelors degree, then moving on to a masters. I want to travel to fine museums of art. I want to ride horses and swim with the dolpins. I want peace in my life. Cathy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit