Bologna sandwiches...

by DanTheMan 41 Replies latest jw friends

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Here's the advanced search page at epicurious.com.

Under "Courses," try whatever you want ideas for -- side dishes, you said? And under "Preparation," select "Quick". And there ya go :) You'll even get critiques/suggestions from other people who've tried the recipe.

GentlyFeral

• Soledad
    Soledad

try some ideas at www.allrecipes.com. I would also recommend that when you shop you should buy some "staple" items such as skinless chicken breasts cutlets (or thighs), ground beef or turkey, strip steak for stir fry or fajitas, pork loin, which is quick and easy to cook (but you have to cook thoroughly!) onions, tomatoes, garlic, bell pepper, and whatever garnishing for salads. once you always have these on hand you could combine many ingredients many different ways.

as far as spices, a rule I use is 1 tablespoon per pound of meat (paprika, cumin, oregano is what I mainly use) if you add spices to onions and garlic while they sautee you can add a little at a time and taste as you go along cooking. once you get the hang of it then you wont have to rely on pre-packaged seasoning mixes, which are full of MSG. good luck!

ps: when you use flour to fry something try seasoning the flour with old bay seasoning or paprika and salt. the food comes out delicious!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Thanks for the suggestions and links, Venice, Gentlyferal and Soledad!

• Aztec
    Aztec

Staples that you should try to always keep on hand: Chicken breast, ground turkey (much healthier than ground beef), pork chops, fresh tomatoes, limes, garlic, onions, mushrooms, peppers, canned tomatoes (or tomato sauce), canned chili beans, chicken broth (or veggie broth), cream of mushroom soup (you can get this in both regular and low fat), rice, pasta, tortillas (corn and flour), cheese of any kind that you like, salt, coarse ground black pepper, chili powder, sage (essential for good pork chops), cilantro (fresh is better than dried but they both work), cumin (essential for a good chili), butter (not margarine), olive or grapeseed oil.

The above is a list of things I try to keep on hand. You can make so many differant things with those ingrediants. Fajitas, stir fry, salsa, spanish rice, lasagne, soup, chili, enchiladas, kick butt pork chops. If you need any recipes let me know and I can pm you some. I'm actually a pretty good cook (one of my very few talents). I've been cooking since I was about 13 for my entire family when my mom had to work late. One of those oldest child things I suppose...LOL! I'm here to help ya Dan.

~Aztec

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Great list, Az...but why would I want to eat staples?

Actually, Dan, turn off the computer and go buy all that stuff right now :)

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

thanks azzy & phantom

Feel free to PM me some recipes Azzy, your staples list has piqued my interest. What do you do with the ground turkey? And how do you store it, do you just buy a little at a time? How long do flour tortillas stay good for if you keep them in the fridge?

Phantom, last night I went and bought some store-brand tomato sauce and added some browned ground beef and red wine to it. It was magnifico! I divided the remaining sauce into two jars. How long do ya think it'll keep?

• Valis
    Valis

Dude...this recipe is so easy and yummy...make up two or three good batches...it freezes well.

It was also J. Paul Getty's favorite food of all time..

1 pound ground chuck

1 medium yellow onion, chopped

1 medium green pepper, seeded and chopped

12 ounces medium wide egg noodles, uncooked

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 can tomato soup

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 pound American cheese cut in 1/4 ? cubes

1 small jar pimentos

1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas

Ripe olives for garnish

Brown meat in vegetable oil in large skillet. Drain excess fat. Push meat to one side and sauté onions until golden brown. Dump meat and onions in large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients, except olives. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and a pinch of sage. Turn into a casserole baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Garnish with ripe olives.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Glad to hear it, Dan!

I'd say a week or less, unfrozen. I have used ground turkey instead of beef on many occasions (burritos, patties, and an ex-girlfriend loved cooked ground turkey and green peas!) I now buy extra-lean ground beef (9%) for that reason - but I should buy turkey more often.

The sauce lasts longer after you open the jar before you add the meat, I suspect. I think that the beef is the short-lived item. You might store the beef seperately - then you can use it in burritos, scrambled-egg sandwiches in the morning, etc. Also, pick up some of those little pizza crusts at the store, and try that sauce on them! Also, gotta remember the garlic :)

I think he's ready to marry off, everybody ;)

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

That sounds like a great recipe Valis, I may have problems with the cream of mushroom soup due to my lactose intolerance, but I may give it a go anyway.

Phantom, looks like I'm going to be eating spaghetti for the next 5 nights in a row. LOL

• larc
    larc

Dan, I would suggest that you roast a chicken in the oven. I realize that a chicken is more than one person can eat at a meal. However, the left overs make wonderful sandwiches. Now, I sautee onions and garlic and put them in the chicken's cavity. After the chicken is done, I put the onion and garlic mixture into the sour cream for my baked potato. I love this meal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit