Bologna sandwiches...

by DanTheMan 41 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

...do not make for a good dinner.

What are some good things that a single guy can make for dinner besides spaghetti or peanut butter sandwiches or something stupid like that? JWD ladies????? What are your "meals for one" recipes??

Also, I'm lactose intolerant. I can handle cheese, but not milk.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

When I first moved out, I found that frozen dinners were good. They were easy to budget, and alot of them were low fat. I still keep a few stashed in my freezer for emergency.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

OK, Dan, now I'm pissed off that you ask the ladies for help - instead of the guys that have already solved your little problem! Sexist pig :)

Buy beef for fajitas or chicken tender strips in the meat section. Put some soy sauce and some beer or wine in a bowl, mix in a tablespoon of garlic paste, and let it sit for a half-hour, covered. Then dump the whole thing in a saucepan and sautee. Add a can of baby corn (available in the Asian section) and maybe some snow peas. Serve over rice. Not great as leftover, unless you make new rice - then it's fine.

Buy spaghetti sauce in the jar, but sautee half a package of hamburger and then dump it into the sauce. Add a glass of red wine and some garlic. Buy different pastas - I like the Trivial Pursuit wheel shapes, they hold more sauce. Great as leftover. Breakfast sausage works instead of hamburger also.

I love breakfast burritos any time of day. Hamburger or fajita strip beef, beans, and some Ore-Ida hash browns (ill-maned - they are really home fries). Yum. Also great as leftover.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Chevys -

Two words - Salisbury steak. BARF! LOL

Budget Gourmet makes a few that are OK, but I have to eat two because the portions are so small.

Phantom - good ideas! Though I find the words "canned corn" to be pretty scary. Maybe some string beans instead?

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Baby corn is actually little tiny corn-on-the-cob - not what we roundeyes usually think of as canned corn.

Look here - http://www.sunluckfoods.com/products/pro.htm

Also experiment with marinating chicken breasts - use beer, soy sauce, various salad dressings, pepper (rub in by hand), and white wine (red wine stains the chicken) and find out what you like. Pretend it's a science experiment! You can eat them over rice or with mashed potatoes (Do NOT use the boxed ones - get a recipe off of the Internet, and have some versions of butter and milk that you can use - Organic Valley has a 2% Lactose-free milk that tastes pretty good. Then eat the leftovers in a burrito.

Cooking is fun - and after you are comfortable doing it, I guarantee that someday it will get you laid. It's also great training for managing multiple things at a time.

• flower
    flower

A few ideas...

When I used to eat processed foods, full of preservatives ;) I used to buy those one step meals in a box that they sell at the supermarket. You dont have to do anything except add meat (sometimes the meat is included too) and pop it in the oven. Some of them taste pretty good. Of course they arent all that good for ya.

You can get bags of frozen chicken or fish from Costco that comes individually wrapped so you only unfreeze as many as you want to at a time. Sprinkle on some seasoning or marinade on a few pieces of chicken or salmon and throw it in the oven for 30 mins or so. Then just steam some veggies or get those bags of salad and your all set.

Another good idea is if you can get one of those George Forman grills you will be addicted to grilled foods. Get some prefrozen burgers, chicken breasts, veggies, fish whatever..and just throw it on the grill.

Make enough so you only have to cook a few times a week.

hope it helps...

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I guarantee that someday it will get you laid.

Yeah, that's what she tells me she's holding out for:

alt

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

flower,

Thanks for the ideas!

I don't have a GF grill, but I do have a nice crock-pot. I used it one time.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Well, for her, you might also need to take a massage class... and brush up on your ironing.

• flower
    flower
    Cooking is fun - and after you are comfortable doing it, I guarantee that someday it will get you laid.

*makes a mad dash to the attic to find box of cookbooks*

Dan, I can beat that, I've used my crock pot ..never.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit