Sinuitis and a cure?

by jayhawk1 44 Replies latest watchtower medical

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

For the past two months, I have been fighting one cold after another, but what seems to never leave is the burning in my nose and throat. Six days ago my doctor perscribed Cephalexin 500mg (antibiotic), but so far I am still miserable. While looking online, many websites want to sell their various cures, usually for about $35.00 US. I am not prepared to buy anything that does nothing. Many other sites suggest saline solution.

Anybody here struggle with sinus inflamation? What do you use?

Note: Yes I have allergies too, but this does not feel anything like my allergies. Also this year my allergies have not been nearly as severe as previous years. Usually when I do have an allergie attack I use Benedryl or Actifed. I have also used Tylenol Cold and Sinus, Advil Cold and Sinus, and Nyquil.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

• breal
    breal

Flonase works great for me, maybe check with your Dr.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Tried it about some time ago. It didn't work for me.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Um, anybody else?

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

yeah jay saline solution works but if you kinda breathe in water while showering it does the same thing pretty much. i think both of these work even better when used along with flonaise or claratin or whatever med works best for you. i have cronic sinitus and i hardly ever get rid of it lol. good luck in beating it yourself tho

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Avoiding smoking and milk products for a while helps me. Plenty of hot showers, steam. Build up your immune system with vitamins and good diet.

There is no "quick cure" in my experience for chronic sinusitis.

There are two problems with sinus infections. One is the presence of bacteria, the other is the buildup of mucus. The problems work hand in hand with each other. The bacteria inflame the sinus linings, causing mucus production. The mucus provides a bacterial breeding place beyond the reach of antibiotics and your own immune system.

So, you need to keep the mucus moving to prevent bacterial breeding in it. Drink water, avoid dairy, avoid smoke and things you are allergic to. An air purifier / humidifier can help a lot to reduce the presence of allergens and keep your mucus membranes from drying out. (when the membranes dry out, they crack, and then you can get an infection from the mucus that has the bacteria in it)

The other thing is to kill bacteria / prevent future infections. While antibiotics can clear up an infection that is present, the real and true help is your own immune system. Vitamins, plenty of proteins to aid cellular regeneration, and lots of water to keep your membranes moist and intact.

The thing about sinusitis is that it never really goes away completely - the bacteria just breed too rapidly and efficiently to ever go away. But you can prevent the large-scale infections through maintenance.

CZAR

• Satanus
    Satanus

Bttt

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I have a severe problem with Sinusitis, I had a bad infection years ago and I have scar tissue that formed in the right nasal cavity<yuck

I use Flonase, Claritin D (You need to treat your allergies to lessen severity. If I let my allergies go I get a wicked infection

I use saline(works better than just warm water) I also have a cold mask I keep in the fridge and a hotpack so I alternate these. Also I try to keep the cold air away from my nose with a scarf.

My sister had the surgery but I don't see any improvement with her at all.

• Panda
    Panda

The best for quick relief is to take some salt in the palm of your hand, add very warm water and snort into your nose. Do one side at a time (so you will be breathing not dying) , The salt helps to relieve the infection and the warm water gets the gunk moving. Do this at least twice a day.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

I take lots of vitamins (most C) and a herb: echinacea (a natural anti-biotic)
    and the last weeks, I use Chinese shiling-oil (only on your skin / forehead - or under your nose which do help with breathing.)

after 6 weeks of being miserable, I now feel better,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit