Are you a music person?

by FlyingHighNow 49 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Aztec,

I don't think you are being dramatic at all. Music is like a drug to some of us. I don't think my childhood would have been very happy without it either. My mother played classical piano and that is what I was lulled to sleep with every night. I grew up during the 60s and 70s. Music was delightful for a child then. I was lucky enough to have teenaged siblings so I didn't miss out on early Motown or the British Invasion. I had a lot of reasons to be sad as a little girl but music made my soul soar. It was the drug that got me through every day and night.

Fond memory: AM/FM transistor pocket radio with earphone received as christmas gift. Listening to distant AM stations such as WWL New Orleans or KAAY Little Rock, Arkansas Underground Music show after midnight during late 60s. They played Jimi Hendrix, Iron Butterfly, etc. music that was too hard for KMRC AM Morgan City, Louisiana Fourteen Thirty on your dial.

I don't understand people not liking music or needing it. I respect their preference; I just don't get it.

Heather S. II

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Eric,

Awwww, I've had that happen, too. And you can't copy your post so that you have it just in case it disappears when you hit the submit button. You can't type your post in notepad and copy and paste it either. I wonder why. It would be another step to take but at least we wouldn't lose a post we just typed up.

Please do try again.

Heather S. II

• unique1
    unique1

GOTTA HAVE MUSIC, CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT IT.

• Eric
    Eric

Heather S ll,

I just wanted to add that music is where you find it.

I find it in the mechanical sound of some high performance motors. Going back before my day, there was a car made by Alfa Romeo that had dual overhead cams and superb head flow. There was a resonance achieved by that engine that owners termed the "Alfa Song." You really have to sit in the cockpit of a pre-1974 duetto to hear it. Under accelleration, in tingles up through your feet and thrums up through your spine. The sound, the experience, is coming from so many directions, through so many inputs, you're not sure if it's a sound or a feeling.

Then I owned a Yamaha RZ 500. A two-stroke V-4 motor. From idle to about 7,000 rpm it sounded like a steel dumpster full of chainsaws, and it responded similarly. From 7,500 up it grew lungs and simply shrieked to its 10,000 rpm redline. I've never heard anything else like it.

Inline 4's that rev to 14,000 rpm make a music that find difficult to describe. Perhaps because I find it difficult to comprehend the fact that all those bits go whizzing around at such velocity with precision. Music does not describe it. Giddy amazement, perhaps.

Big V-twins that spin up to 10,000 rpm are the voice I love. With a gutteral thrust, they speak to me with the baritone of the motorcycling world.

These are instruments that do not care that my left is no longer deft. These are voices I can make sing and I love the way their sounds propel me.

Eric

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Eric,

I know what you mean. It's like the song Listen To The Rythym Of The Pouring Rain. It's been raining here all day and what a beautiful symphony it's been. Then there are the crickets, katydids and frogs on a summer's night. Even my typing has a music all it's own.

Remember when Harley Davidson tried to copyright their unique sound? They are loud for sure, especially when someone is kicking one off but they sure sound beautiful. To ride on one is a vibration celebration.

Heather S. II

• amac
    amac

I have to have music...I play mine at home with an NAD CD Player and Music Hall turntable. I also have 2 Technic 1200 turntables. I would like to get a decent MP3 player as well.

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Definitely, I'm a musical kinda guy. Music inspires me and is my strongest passion.

I love anything with soul. RnB, Jazz, rock, latin...all of it. As long as it makes me feel....

I play a few instruments, write and produce and work mainly out of my home studio.

Most influencive artists: Babyface, R Kelly, Chet Baker, Vince Jones, Radiohead, Cranberries, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix.

DK

• SadElder
    SadElder
    My ex JW exhusband didn't care much about music

Oh my, imagine life without music. Reminds me of a Bethelite I knew who never watched TV or listened to the radio. When I asked him how he stayed current with world events, he said the Awake! told him everything he needed to know. Oh my, Oh my. How sad.

Just about every room in our house is linked to the music room's system. All the bedrooms have their own system but linked to the main center downstairs too. Every CD we buy is copied into our file server so it's accessible

We're working on plans now for our Florida house which will have a more sophisticted link, maybe even fiber optic links. We want all the video and music systems linked. Also looking into the new media hubs that link the PC's to the audio system.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

So far, I have a J reynolds electric (Which is a ghetto version of a Fender Strat), a cheap wal-mart acoustic guitar and a 70's style keyboard upstairs.

I had a trust fund for me for in case my dad died that he left me with a few bucks, so the first things I'm going to buy is a new computer with a CD burner, sonic acid foundry, a paul stanley guitar, and a yamaha keyboard.

• Farkel
    Farkel

I'm not only a music person, I make it, and have been making it for over four decades Here's a sampling, and there is much more to come.

http://www.leadadmin.com/farkel/da_farkel.htm

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit