Are you a music person?

by FlyingHighNow 49 Replies latest jw friends

• avishai
    avishai

Just picked up a Galveston metal body resonator guitar, & a behringer Vampire modeling amp. This amp is crazy, it'll make just about any kinda sound you want it too. However, I still suck & am just learning to play at 33 yrs. old.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Couldn't imagine life without it.

I was listening to "Echo" by my all-time fave Joe Satriani this morning, what a beautiful piece of music. Download it if you get a chance or better yet get his CD "Surfing with the Alien". (OK I know I talk about Joe Satch a lot but I think the guy is a total f*cking genius)

I've played guitar for a number of years, was pretty decent at one point but don't practice much these days.

I'm thinking that, with my inner life being in turmoil these days, that playing guitar would be a good outlet for me, but on the other hand I feel it somewhat pointless to sit around my house playing the guitar along with my CD's with no real aspirations of being a performing musician. What do you think of that?

• rocketman
    rocketman

I like it. In the car, at home, at work. I have a system at work comprised of components I no longer have room for at home/or that have been replaced by newer gear. I like music, and I want good sound. I don't spend excessively, in fact I usually shop for low prices and bargains, but I want accurate sound.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Dan,

Most definitely you should play, even it's only for you. I took guitar lessons for a year in the 90s. At the time I was having panic attacks caused by my allergies. The only thing that helped me cope with them was practicing the things I had learned the week before. I am not good with the guitar much to my sadness but that's not what matters. What matters is whether or not you enjoy playing. I bet your family loves it when you play. Try an open mike night at a club near you sometime. Don't let your guitar gather dust. That would be a very sad matter indeed.

Heather S. II

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Does the pope have a funny hat?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Eric,

Whoa, what a tragic story. I guess you could call that a freak accident. I've never heard anything like that before. Interesting what you said about BB King and Jeff Beck (I saw him in 75 or 76) I have always said that Jimi Hendrix played the guitar like it was an extension of himself, like it was part of him.

Andy and I just went to see Neil Young in September. The man is 57 years old but he played and had the energy of a man a third of his age. It was an awesome show. He is a legend as far as I am concerned.

Hey, you can still listen to music and that's a wonderful thing. I never had any accidents that affected my guitar playing. I just am not good at it. I did get very sick and nearly die though. I have some amnesia from that and so I cannot remember much of what I learned in a year of lessons. My exhusband threw away my folder with all my lesson notes in it. So I can't relearn the songs. I was learning Yesterday by the Beatles when I stopped the lessons. I had learned I'd Love To Change The World by Ten Years After but can't remember how to play it now. *Sigh*.

Thanks for relating your experience.

Heather S. II

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Okay, so far we have thirteen responses and if you include me, there are 14 of us who are music people. Thank you all for your responses: they are very interesting. If anyone responds here who doesn't care for or need music please tell us why you feel as you do.

Heather S. II

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    Does the pope have a funny hat?

I would say so.....looks like one of those Burger King cardboard party hats.

Ummm....what was the original question again?

• heathen
    heathen

I absolutely love music . Nothing makes me happier than listening to my favorite songs or picking up the guitar and bang away till my hearts content , some how all my problems just vanish when I do that .

• NEWWORLDSLACKER
    NEWWORLDSLACKER

Hey avishai we should jam somtime !I would love to play with somone local :)

NwS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit