Are you a music person?

by FlyingHighNow 49 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

My ex JW exhusband didn't care much about music. He preferred the natural sounds of life to music. I have a coworker who doesn't listen to music: she doesn't like it.

I love music. I always have. Music means a great deal to me and I have it playing most of the time. I collect MP3s, CDs and records. Just bought myself a JVC turntable for my birthday.

So the question is: do you love and need music in your life? What does it mean to you? Or are you a non music person who prefers life without it?

Heather S. II

• Dimples
    Dimples

Gotta have music in my life. I love all types of music, even the little birdies singing.

Dimples

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I NEED music in my life. I own the following:

1 RCA 5-disc CD player
    1 Hitachi turntable
    1 Hitachi tape deck
    1 Realistic 8-track player
    1 Venturer MP3 player
    2 Sony Reel 2 Reels

I still want to get the Elcaset and Playtape formats.

• moonwillow
    moonwillow

Have ta have music in my life !

• luna
    luna

Need it....definately.

• Sassy
    Sassy

Music is very important to me. I love all kinds of music, so I try to have a little of everything in my house, so no matter that guest, I might have the right background setting for them to enjoy.

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

can't play a lick but that never kept me from trying...

Current instruments are:
    Fender Strat
    Turser Les Paul Copy
    Yamaha Acoustic
    Ibanez classical

Ensoniq KS-32 keyboard
    Casio something something something keyboard

Yamaha drum set with many accessories
    Drum machine (can't remember which one off hand)
    Drum samples module (for electronic drum pads)

Yamaha Multitrack recorder (8 track)
    Tascam Multitrack recorder (4 track)

assorted other gadgets, devices and novelties

Oh, and a few CD's, Tapes, Albums.

• maxwell
    maxwell

I love music. I'm a music person. Perhaps not a very skilled musician, but I own a student line Yamaha alto saxophone and a Yamaha P-120 digital piano, not the best but a fair digital piano. I'm not a particularly emotional person and I don't express emotions well verbally. But I think music is a much better medium for expressing such abstract things for anyone. I wish music had a higher priority in schools. I have a Panasonic boombox in my bedroom and an Aiwa stero with tape deck and 3 cd changer in my living room and few other smaller portable music players. I have an old Sony radio w/tapedeck at work and of course, I can play cd's on my computer there. I play music while working often.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Yep, gotta have it. I'm mostly a classic rock kind of guy, with an emphasis on the folk-rockers like Dylan, Springsteen, Jackson Browne, Si and Gar, Harry Chapin, etc...

And since I'm capable of strumming more than three chords on a guitar (I have a 12-string), and allegedly singing, I am, according to the standards of my baby-boom generation, a musician. Apparently, my voice doesn't suck too badly, since I was recently asked to join my church's choir based upon someone hearing me sing in the congregation (and their desperate need for a bass). I declined, though.

As a kid, I also took accordion lessons, but we don't talk about that much around here...

• Eric
    Eric

My parents had an ornamental mandolin that hung on the wall. One day at about age nine, I took it down off it's hooks and not knowing how a mandolin should be tuned, tuned it to the top four strings (double stringed and an octave higher) of a guitar based on a yellowed guitar book we had and started picking out tunes and chords from the guitar book and with some knowledge from my piano lessons.

My mother was suitably impressed enough to pawn the mandolin for an acoustic Yamaha six-string. I did pretty good with folk music of the day, "Big Yellow Taxi", a bunch of Johnny Cash, Peter, Paul and Mary, and the like, and I always had to learn the Kingdom melodies so that I could play at JW gatherings and occasionally in the "orchestra" at assemblies. Yes, kiddies, there was a time when assemblies meant live music, played by local brothers and sisters. Strings, horns, woodwinds, percussion, the lot!

In my rebellious teens, I sold the acoustic and used my part-time job money to buy a Les Paul copy and a decent Fender amp. I was just getting the hang of electric guitars when my playing days were cut short in a bizarre guitar related mishap. I was tuning up when my e-string snapped and whipped up and penetrated my exposed forearm just below the wrist.

It felt like the end of the sharp string had penetrated the depth of a thumb-tack, so just reached up to my left wrist with my right hand to pull it out. I just yanked it. I pulled two inches of guitar string out of my wrist. Then some more. My left arm went numb, I lost partial sight in my left eye, the left side of my face felt like a dentist had done a job on me with novocaine and the numbness spread across my upper chest.

Then, The Headache. Blinding. I had to shut off the light in my room and I fairly passed out on my bed with blankets wrapped around my head to block out all the light.

When I came to, all of the peripheral symptoms had faded, but I had done permanent nerve damage to my left hand. It still has strength, but reduced mobility. As I type this my right hand is responsible for 80% of the keyboard, my index and pinky fingers do all the work on the left side.

I never did get that good on the guitar, I don't fool myself into thinking the world was robbed of any talent or anything like that. I just have always missed being able to plunk and strum.

Saw Jeff Beck and B.B. King play together this summer. Guys like that play their guitar like a lover.

Eric

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit