"SCHOLAR" and UNFINISHED BUSINESS

by Gamaliel 108 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I have academic assignments to complete

Another degree???

• barry
    barry

No wonder I feel so much at home here 1844, 538ad to 1798 the 1260 day period all great SDA stuff. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Only trouble its not scholarly at all. Barry

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

You're welcome, Barry!

• City Fan
    City Fan

Ozzie!

Another degree???

That was funny!

• barry
    barry

I hope Im not putting my nose where its not needed and I dont know anything of the gentlemen quoted except of course William Miller. Maybe what I quote here from Kai J Arasola will add to further understanding.

Kai J Arasola is the son of one of Finlands best known SDA evangelists ever, Arvo Arasola. Kai is the current president of East Finlands SDA conference. His recent doctorate dissertation from Uppsala University is now making its way through the Adventist scholarly world.

The title of elder Arasola,s thesis is 'The End of Historicism; Millerite Hermeneutic of Time Prophecies in the Old Testament'. Arasola writes what the scolars of Adventism in Europe, America and around the world have long known. There is no biblical basis for 1844.

Elder Arasola points out that William Miller had fifteen ways of arriving at 1843-1844 as the general time of Christs return. [The time prophecy of Daniel 8;14 was only one of Millers fifteen proofs. Miller gave no prominence to Daniel 8;14.]

Bible scholars in Millers time and later looked at Millers fifteen 'proofs' and found them without validity. There were few who could be called Bible scholars who were involved in the Great Dissappointment of 1844.

Arasola points out the flimsy nature of Millers chronological pillars. Kai emphasises that the whole scholarly world has repudiated them. He mentions that only Seventh-day Adventists, the Worldwide Church of God and Jehovah's Witnesses, cling to Millers approach in interpreting prophecy.

When Arasola mentions SDAs , he does not mean the scholars of the church. They repudiate such teaching [except for some few dedicated to upholding the traditional positions for reasons other than scholarship]

Thinking is as fundamental a duty for a Christian as praying. R D Davies

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Alan, Thank you for proving what scholar really is, and that his moniker belies his claims. Scholar is still relying on his Brooklyn deities. . What an embarrassment to himself and the Watchtower Society. If he ever planned to ever make use of his own "scholarship" and degrees to defend and promote Watchtower chronology, he will be forever haunted by this appearance of deceit and dishonesty. Such a potential waste of all those years attending school. I believe you should also post this latest material on the original thread. This may make it easier to locate the proof of what scholar has done, for future reference.

"Scholar" will never likely "have the time" to truly reply in spite of his assurances "that [he] WILL reply." It is obvious to me what his only agenda was, and you have made it impossible for him to get away with such immature and unscholarly behavior. He has "in the final event" proved to his complicity with deceivers and demonstrates how morals as well 'scholarship can become bankrupt and not to be trusted.' All this notwithstanding his final, feeble attempts to cast those same dispersions on the very ones whose scholarship has frustrated his own false claims and theories. Thank you for finally putting this matter away, and putting "scholar's" credibility away.

Gamaliel [edited to remove especially insulting words like "liar," etc.]

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel
    Alan F

I have read your extensive analysis of my original claim that Jonsson has commited an historical blunder in alleging that Brown did not associate the Gentile times with the seven times and that the Society was mistaken in connecting these times. I do not have the time at this stage to reply to your nonsense as I have academic assignments to complete but be assured that I WILL reply to your gross misrepresentation of the facts. In the final event it is up to each reader to make up his mind as to whether Jonsson, Franz and Penton are deceitful in discussing this matter. From my research and the emails sent to Franz and Jonsson I believe that their scholarship is bankrupt and not to be trusted. This matter will not go away as I intend to pursue it with much vigour. I simply do not trust anything you say as you and your cronies have only one agenda and that is to destroy Chistian values and truth leaving nothing to sustain spirituality in those who love Jehovah and Jesus Christ.

scholar

To one who gives every appearance of being a deceiver pretending to be a scholar,

"This matter will not go away as I intend to pursue it with much vigour."

You are right. It won't go away. To date, all your attempts at "scholarship" on this board have been unscholarly and without depth. But this latest fiasco of yours has also now soiled any potential, future work.

I simply do not trust anything you say as you and your cronies have only one agenda and that is to destroy Chistian values and truth leaving nothing to sustain spirituality in those who love Jehovah and Jesus Christ.

Truly pitiful! You are like someone flailing, grasping and choking in a quicksand of your own making, while refusing any lifeline of truth. You "simply do not trust anything" that you imply is out to destroy "Christian values and truth"? Such nerve! You brought this reproach on your religion and on yourself by focusing on defending, not Jehovah or Jesus, but one specific (but relatively small) blunder that the Watchtower publications made! I can verify a hundred such blunders (or worse) by the Watchtower Society. Others here (and you know their names) can point out hundreds more. One of those other "names" ended an essay on Watchtower "scholarship" quite appropriately for this occasion with Job 13:7-12 from Moffatt's translation:

"Will you bring unfair arguments for God? Will you tell lies on his behalf? Will you be sycophants of the Almighty? Will you be special pleaders for God? Will it be well when he probes you? Can you deceive him like a man? No, he will punish you, if you are sycophants of his in secret. Should not his majesty cause you to shudder? Should not the dread of him seize you? Your maxims crumble like mere ashes, your arguments collapse like mounds of clay."

Good-bye, defender of false deities who evidently believes that the end justifies any means, including dishonesty, Gamaliel [edited to remove certain especially insulting phrases like "liar", etc.]

• undercover
    undercover

Scholar says:

In the final event it is up to each reader to make up his mind as to whether Jonsson, Franz and Penton are deceitful in discussing this matter.

Interesting comment. Jonsson and Franz are X-JWs. Apostates. It's nice of Scholar to agree that "it is up to each reader to make up his mind" in regards to accepting the apostate teachings or not. That's something his religion doesn't allow. In fact, Scholar is guilty of associating with such apostates, discussing and debating spiritual matters with them. If Scholar's elders knew as much about him as people on this board in regards to discussing and debating chronology he would be in a Judicial Committee meeting sooo fast.

Isn't it time for you to confess to your elders Scholar and set your feet on the paths of righeousness?

• AlanF
    AlanF

Scholar-liar said:

: I have read your extensive analysis of my original claim that Jonsson has commited an historical blunder in alleging that Brown did not associate the Gentile times with the seven times and that the Society was mistaken in connecting these times. I do not have the time at this stage to reply to your nonsense as I have academic assignments to complete

LOL! The fact that you say that what I've written is nonsense is diagnostic of your complete inability to understand what you read if it creates problems for your worship of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses.

: but be assured that I WILL reply to your gross misrepresentation of the facts.

No doubt with the same sharp attention to detail that you've so often demonstrated is your calling card.

: In the final event it is up to each reader to make up his mind as to whether Jonsson, Franz and Penton are deceitful in discussing this matter.

True, but the only readers who would go along with you would be fellow JWs with even less general comprehension than yourself. The blind leading the blind.

: From my research and the emails sent to Franz and Jonsson I believe that their scholarship is bankrupt and not to be trusted.

That much is painfully obvious. You don't trust anyone but the Society and yourself. You're leaning on broken reeds.

: This matter will not go away as I intend to pursue it with much vigour.

And readers will continue to laugh at your sham scholarship.

: I simply do not trust anything you say as you and your cronies have only one agenda and that is to destroy Chistian values and truth leaving nothing to sustain spirituality in those who love Jehovah and Jesus Christ.

What nonsense. Franz, Jonsson and Penton are strong Christians. They have great respect for truth and honesty. That's why they're no longer JWs.

You, on the other hand, are a typical JW. You have no respect for Christian values. You lie and cheat in any way you can to uphold the Fundamental Doctrine of Jehovah's Witnesses: Thou shalt worship the Governing Body and pretend that it speaks for God. Indeed, the Governing Body is your God.

I suggest that for once in your life you read, understand and apply some words from the Bible you claim to adore. Gamaliel quoted Job 13:7-12. That scripture is wonderfully descriptive of all that is wrong with the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses.

AlanF

• logansrun
    logansrun

"Scholar-liar"

May I propose we just simply refer to him as "Scholiar" ?

Nice work Alan.

Bradley

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit