"SCHOLAR" and UNFINISHED BUSINESS

by Gamaliel 108 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

scholar,

OK. I don't have the book, so are you saying that on page 208 that J. A. Brown says something different from what he stated earlier on page 35, 48, 60, 105 and 170?

I have to assume the quotes that Alan made from those other pages are correct, since you didn't challenge them.

The Proclaimer's book gives me the impression that Brown equated them, but you admitted before that Brown never did, and that the Society never said he did. I haven't yet figured out in what sense they are associated. Apparently the definitions from AlanF's references are:

The "Seven Times" are 2520 years from 604 BC to 1917. (Nebuchadnezzar to 1917)

The "Gentile Times" are 1260 years from 622 AD to 1844. (Mohammed to 1844)

Now all I have left to do is find out how Brown "associated" the Seven Times with the Gentile Times. Am I right so far?

Now you do say there is more information on page 208. I am interested in what it says.

According to Brown the Gentile Times are the duration of Mohammedan power. Is this correct?

The times of the Gentiles then are the duration of the Mohammedan power; and when the period of that tyranny is accomplished, Jerusalem will be no longer trodden down of the Gentiles. [Vol. 1, p. 35]

They are 42 months or 1260 days, turned into 1260 lunar years which are The Gentile times are connected with Revelation and are forty two months of years, or 1260 years long, and they are lunar years, or 1222 solar years: 1260x(12x29.5) = 1222x(365), correct? [446,040 = 446,030]

the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled;? and their times are defined to be 1260 years, or ?forty and two months.? [Vol. 1, p. 105]

...are to be reckoned twelve hundred and sixty Mohameddan years, or 1222 solar years, which end April, 1844. [Vol. 1, p. 60]

The closest "association" I've seen so far is that although the two time periods are distinct, that they can both be worked into a larger chronology (by adding some extra years from Daniel's 1290/1335 day periods) that can ultimately both reach to 1917.

both these positions serve mutually to confirm and illustrate each other. [Vol. 2, p. 135]

But this exactly like JCanon saying that the 490 years of Daniel's 70 weeks of years are "associated" with the 2520 years because the beginning of the 490 is at the decree Cyrus decree and that although the 2520 years doesn't begin with the decree of Cyrus, there is another period of 70 years mentioned in Daniel/Jeremiah that takes us back to 70 years before the decree of Cyrus.

That association (and Brown's) would be a sham because the focus is on how even though they don't start on the same date or end on the same date (and are discovered in mutually exclusive time prophecies), they both can be used to support a "Cyrus decree" date in one case and a "1917" date in the other.

So I need to know what is different on page 208 (which volume?) that changes that focus.

Thanks.

Gamaliel

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

scholar,

I guess the assumption is based on the reference already provided on page 208 (v2) when Brown says:

The times of these monarchies are fixed by the ?seven times? of the symbolic image, and by the 1335 years of the Mohammedan Imposture.... then must it be maintained that the forty-five years of Daniel are the period of the second judgment; and commencing in 1873, are attended by the sitting of that judgment, and by the general resurrection, the last hour of which terminates with the ?seven times? of the monarchies, and with the 1335 Mohammedan years, in 1917.... The Saviour himself, speaking of the signs of his second coming, foretels all these events; and upon that memorable occasion, when he predicted the treading down of Jerusalem, and ?that the Jews should be led captive into all nations, during the times of the Gentiles, obviously refers to the sitting of the second judgment, at which he is to appear as the Judge. [Vol. 2, p. 208]

Brown is saying that the 1260 days (622AD-1844) would fall within the 2520 days (604BC-1917). Therefore the Gentile Times -- being a shorter period of the "3 and 1/2 times" of Mohammedan monarchies -- had to fall within the longer period of "7 times" of the image which covered the time of rule from Nebuchadnezzar until God's judgment crushed the rulers in 1917. In other words, Jerusalem couldn't very well be trodden down by the Mohammedan nations AFTER God had crushed the rulers of the earth in 1917. So the "3 and 1/2 Gentile Times" had to fall completely within "7 times of the Image."

Is there something else I'm missing? Is that the extent of the "association"?

Gamaliel

• AlanF
    AlanF

Ha ha! Scholar-moron depends exclusively on fuzziness to get any points across. He carefully avoids defining terms, giving verifiable facts, or doing anything besides making subjective judgments.

I'll be contacting Penton and several others to see what they have to say.

AlanF

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Alan,

scholar says:

Neither Jonsson or Alan F realized that p.208 in the Eventide is the 'smoking gun' which clearly indicates an association or connection of both 'times'.

Fuzziness is right! I see the smoke, and I assume there's mirrors -- but scholar still misses with his pot-shots at Jonsson.

Gamaliel

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

Hi Gamaliel!

It seems, the self-described "Scholar," has been doing some postings on ChanelC (see his post: "Oslo Chronology vs Jonsson hypothesis," @

http://www.channelc.org/cgi-bin/eboard30/index.cgi ). I guess he's been too busy there to offer the reply he said he would give us here!

Anyway, reading some of the ChanelC threads, it appears to me that "Scholar" has as many fallacies, illusions, and well, mental-masturbations as he's had here--he-he! -- and has gotten at least as many critical reviews there as here! Therefore, don't expect too much my friend!

• scholar
    scholar

Gamaliel

There is no fuzziness in respect of this historical blunder made by Jonsson. The issue is rather matter of fact, Did Brown connect the Gentile Times with the seven times or not. In Volume 2, p.208, Brown clearly makes a connection in three ways: 1. Immediate context, 2, The phrase 'all these events' which introduces Browns discussion of the Gentile Times, 3. The association of the Olivet discourse with the previously discussed events as the fulfillment of prophecy. It must be said that Brown and the Society did not equate these periods.

It is Jonssson who first raised this issue and was critical of the Society's Proclaimers book in page 134 for stating that for the first time Brown connected the Gentile Times with the seven times. Raymond Franz in an earlier edition took the view that there was a connection and did Penton and Barbour.

I wrote about this matter to Jonsson back in 1998 and he sent photocopies of Brown's material with the exception of page 208 which upon writing to the Society I received a copy of that page. When Alan F attempted to address this issue on this board he tto omitted any reference to that self same page. Of course you can interpret the issue any way you like but the fact remains that a connection is plainly evident and that the Society was fully justified in making that statement. This is not a minor issue at all and goes to the very heart of the proclaimed research for the Jonsson hypothesis.

scholar

• AlanF
    AlanF

Scholar-moron said a bunch of nonsense. I respond:

Here's a fine example of the stock-in-trade fuzziness practiced by Watchtower apologists generally, and exemplified by our resident Scholar-Moron. The SM (note the term's double meaning here) states:

: There is no fuzziness in respect of this historical blunder made by Jonsson. The issue is rather matter of fact, Did Brown connect the Gentile Times with the seven times or not.

Despite the fact that in the original thread where all of this has been discussed ( http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/59355/1.ashx "WTS Chronology (Oslo Hypothesis) from Vicar;Trinity College Fellow,Cambridge" ) I made a clear point that one must clearly define just what one means by "connect", SM continues to avoid giving a definition. Obviously this is a ploy to enable future back-pedaling and whatever manner of evading facts appears necessary to for SM to think that he's on top of the argument.

The fact is that in the Proclaimers book (p. 134) the word "connect" as used in connection with John Aquila Brown and the "Gentile times" obviously means "equate". I already explained why this is, in the original thread. It's so obvious as to be beyond further discussion: An author stating that another writer "connected" one thing with another, knowing that the audience already understands thoroughly that the author himself equates the one thing with the other, is identically the same as if the author stated point blank that the one thing is equal to the other. I.e., when the author of the Proclaimers book stated in italics that John Aquila Brown did "connect these 'seven times' with the Gentile Times of Luke 21:24", he stated that John Aquila Brown equated the "seven times" with the "Gentile Times".

: In Volume 2, p.208, Brown clearly makes a connection in three ways: 1. Immediate context,

A connection, not an equating.

: 2, The phrase 'all these events' which introduces Browns discussion of the Gentile Times,

Ditto.

: 3. The association of the Olivet discourse with the previously discussed events as the fulfillment of prophecy.

Ditto.

: It must be said that Brown and the Society did not equate these periods.

Brown certainly did not, but the statement from the Proclaimers book, shown above, clearly proves that the Watchtower author claimed that Brown did. And of course, we know perfectly well that the reason that the author claimed that Brown equated the periods was to lend support to the Watchtower's present claim that the two time periods are indeed to be equated. If the author didn't think that Brown lent support to this current doctrine, he wouldn't have made a point of italicizing the statement.

: It is Jonssson who first raised this issue

No, it was me, in a 1993 letter to Governing Body member Albert Schroeder, and also in a set of critical notes on the Proclaimers book published in early 1994 (I think) in "Freeminds Journal", by Randall Watters. Naturally I communicated this information to Jonsson, who also realized the Society's blunder. Jonsson eventually incorporated it into the 1998 revision of The Gentile Times Reconsidered.

: and was critical of the Society's Proclaimers book in page 134 for stating that for the first time Brown connected the Gentile Times with the seven times.

Because the Society was dead wrong.

: Raymond Franz in an earlier edition took the view that there was a connection and did Penton and Barbour.

I already explained all of this in the original thread. You have zero reading comprehension. Penton was wrong; so what? Franz made some fuzzy statements that don't mean what you claim; that's your problem.

: I wrote about this matter to Jonsson back in 1998 and he sent photocopies of Brown's material with the exception of page 208 which upon writing to the Society I received a copy of that page. When Alan F attempted to address this issue on this board he tto omitted any reference to that self same page.

Once again we find that your "scholarship" is moronic. I did indeed mention the material on page 208. In fact, I quoted it. At this URL, http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/59355/3.ashx I stated:

In a previous post, I posted an extensive set of quotations taken from Brown's book The Even-Tide, which indicate that he did not equate the periods, but related them in an interesting way. Brown said that the Gentile Times were a 1260 lunar year period ending in 1844, while the seven times were a 2520 solar year period ending in 1917. He said that there would be a 75 lunar year prophetic period from 1844 to 1917, during which all the signs associated with Jesus' second coming would occur. Since Brown related the two periods at their endpoints by adding 75 lunar years to 1844 to get to 1917, it can be said that he connected them, but he certainly did not equate them. But that is not the impression that the Proclaimers book gives, which is that Brown equated the periods.
    Let?s look once again at what Brown writes on page 208 of Vol. 2:
    The times of these monarchies are fixed by the "seven times" of the symbolic image, and by the 1335 years of the Mohammedan Imposture.... then must it be maintained that the forty-five years of Daniel are the period of the second judgment; and commencing in 1873, are attended by the sitting of that judgment, and by the general resurrection, the last hour of which terminates with the "seven times" of the monarchies, and with the 1335 Mohammedan years, in 1917.... The Saviour himself, speaking of the signs of his second coming, foretels all these events; and upon that memorable occasion, when he predicted the treading down of Jerusalem, and "that the Jews should be led captive into all nations," during the times of the Gentiles, obviously refers to the sitting of the second judgment, at which he is to appear as the Judge. [Vol. 2, p. 208]
    Nothing in this equates the "Gentile times" and the "seven times". It only gives a vague impression that they are connected in some unspecified way via various prophecies. In what way does Brown connect them? Let?s see exactly how Brown defines his terms:

So once again we find that this self-proclaimed "scholar" is so moronic that he misses clearly posted material. Quite a fine example of a Jehovah's Witness "scholar".

: Of course you can interpret the issue any way you like but the fact remains that a connection is plainly evident

I explained how the notion of a "connection" could be made -- not an equation -- and so has Gamaliel. The "connection" is that Brown said that the "Gentile Times" are a period within the "seven times" of Daniel 4. I also explained how Jonsson carefully showed that Brown did not "equate" the "seven times" and the "Gentile Times" by stating that Brown "did not himself associate this period with the Gentile times of Luke 21:24." I explained that Jonsson's use of "did not associate" clearly means, in context, "did not equate". How do I know this? Because I explained all of this to Jonsson, as well as to GB member Albert Schroeder, in several 1993 letters. Obviously the notorious "apostate" Carl Olof Jonsson was able clearly to discern what a "spirit directed" Governing Body member could not.

All of this has been set forth in previous posts, Scholar-Moron. The fact that you don't understand a word of it proves the putrid quality of your "scholarship".

: and that the Society was fully justified in making that statement.

LOL!

: This is not a minor issue at all and goes to the very heart of the proclaimed research for the Jonsson hypothesis.

I agree. Your problem is that every fact goes against everything you've claimed. And your words prove that you're a sham scholar, just as all JW apologists with pretensions to scholarhood are.

By the way, I've added a few bits to the original thread from The SBL Handbook of Style to add to your pain, given that you have no idea whatsoever in how properly to reference books from which you quote.

AlanF

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello,

You know what puzzles me the most in all of these threads that have discussed the subject of chronology and in which Scholar has participated? It is that he seems to be singularly unable or unwilling to connect the moral 'dots' that surround this whole issue.

Just to surmise, Scholar many months ago agreed publicly that due to the inexact nature of Biblical chronological issues, the WTS were acting beyond their authority in taking radical punitive action against its own adherents who questioned the basis for its 607BCE-1914CE hypothesis. The act of shunning those who question this theology is surely one of the most fundamental ethical issues here and one which has bought many people into this field of research to begin with.

Scholar described WTS chronology as 'scared chronology', presumably feeling that it is the one and only chronology firmly based in Scripture. He has also made it clear that a person who does not have 'faith' will never understand the WTS view of this matter. This 'faith' of course must be in the WTS and not the Bible as even Christians like Carl Jonsson are precluded, at least in Scholar's view, from understanding this 'sacred chronology'.

At this stage it seems important that Scholar answer my oft repeated question. It is time to step outside the boundaries of chronological semantics and into the world of morality and ethics. On what basis can he align himself with an Organization which, to his own admission, act outside their authority in taking puntive action against those who question their chronology? How would he explain his vigorous defence of the WTS and all that it stands for, to those who have been disfellowshipped and cruelly shunned by family and friends for questioning Biblical interpretation regarding the 604BCE-1914CE hypothesis?

Best regards - HS

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Hi Gang:

I realize that the information you guys are discussing is important as it demonstrates the scholastic incompetence and dishonesty of Watchtower apologists. However, the interesting thing about these Watchtower Fundamentalists is that they use the Bible as a calculator to make predictions about things like the end of the world.

In reality, the Bible is not some complicated calculator that one can use to make predictions. It is just a collection of books compiled by the Roman Catholic Church that is said to be representative of the teachings and traditions of Christianity. All of these other uses are just ridiculous. I view these Watchtower apologists/fundamentalists who use the Bible for predicting the end of the world as being equivalent to the young earth creationist fundies and their crazy ideas.

In short, these fundies are just trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

Jeff S.

• blondie
    blondie

I like that explanation, Jeff. I always felt that Bible chronology was pointless if one is planning on serving God forever.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit