"SCHOLAR" and UNFINISHED BUSINESS

by Gamaliel 108 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• simwitness
    simwitness

Scholar...

While I agree there is a "loose association" of the two times evident in Brown's work, I do not agree with your statement that Johnnson made an error in saying that the two times were not connected.

This has been dealt with by other's, in this very thread, in much detail. Detail you choose to ignore.

Basically, this comes down to semantics, and you are grasping at straws in order to prove a point.

If the only defense that you can muster for your organizations "scholarly chronology" is this, then you really have no leg to stand on.

Obviously, you realize the implications that Johnsson's, Penton's and Franz's work means to the society and it's chronology, and in usual fashion you look for any flaw to attempt to discredit it. If the society's chronology and interpetations were, as they claim, "inspired of holy spirit", then these works would have no meaning, and you would not bother looking for these insignificant "errors".

Even IF Johnsson was wrong in this regaurd, what true difference does it make? Has Johnsoon once claimed infallability? Did he tell his reader's, in any way, that if they choose to believe different than what he wriote that they would be "lost" at armageddon and were not true christian's?

And if this is the standard taht you hold Johnsson to, is this not the same standard that you should hold the WTBS too? How many error's are they allowed to commit before the entire body of works must be tossed? After all, the WTBS does teach that if you choose to believe different, you will be dead at armageddon, and you are not a "true christian". Even your posts, in this thread, insinuate as much...

Scholar, If the facts were all that mattered to you, you would see how simple this really is... "theory's" and "interpetations" of writings are not facts. Faith is not fact. Faith is a choice, and making the choice to have faith in the WTBS, despite it's many shortcomings, cannot be made based on "facts".

Have a pleasant day.

• scholar
    scholar

simwitness

RE:JONSONN'S HISTORICAL BLUNDER

this is not just some minor error on the part of Jonsson. In fact it is foundational to his original treatise and in his later published GTR. It is Jonsson who has raised the ante on this subject as the issue gets to the very heart of credibikity. If Jonsson is wrong on such a fundamental issue then one wolud question his ability in historical research. In other words, if you cannot get the facts of modern history correct then how can you work and interpret ancient primary sources. Jonsson has blundered with this recent history or has twisted, ignored or been biased the evidence. You then would have to question that in regard to secular chronology is he also being honest, biased and accurate with the data. Rolf Furuli well demonstrates that Jonsson's claims are biased and not accurate.

scholar

• AlanF
    AlanF

Sharp comments, Simwitness! Unfortunately, they'll be lost on this sham of a scholar.

You've noted sham-scholar's gross double standards and deliberate vagueness in his refusal to clearly define his terms. This is a very typical ruse by JW defenders to avoid "being wrong". Once they have to admit to "being wrong" about anything with regards to their religion, the game is up and they know it.

To recap, Jonsson used the words "associate", "identify" and "connect" in the sense of "equate". Jonsson wrote, in the 2nd edition of The Gentile Times Reconsidered (1986 edition, pp. 21-22):

The first expositor known to have arrived at a period of 2,520 years was John Aquila Brown in 1823. He did not associate this period with the Gentile times of Luke 21:24, however; to him the Gentile times were a period of 1,260 lunar years, corresponding to 1,242 Julian years... Not only was he the originator of the 2,520 year calculation, but he was also the first to apply the 2,300 year-days of Daniel 8:14 from 457 B.C.E. to 1843 B.E... Brown's calculation that the "seven times" of Daniel 4, were a period of 2,520 years was first published in 1823... Brown's exposition of the "seven times" is based on Daniel 4. Nowhere does he refer to the "seven times" of prophetic punishment directed against Israel at Leviticus 26:12-28, as did other expositors after him. "Nebuchadnezzar was a type," Brown says, "of the kings of the tyrannical earth, and his kingdom of the three successive kingdoms which were to arise." The "seven times," or years, of Nebuchadnezzar's affliction, "would, therefore, be considered as a grand week of years, forming a period of two thousand five hundred and twenty years, embracing the duration of the four tyrannical monarchies; at the close of which they are to learn, like Nebuchadnezzar, that 'the Most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will.' " Brown calculates the 2,520 years from the beginning of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar (604 B.C.E.) to 1917 C.E., when "the full glory of the kingdom of Israel shall be perfected."

The 2,520 years were soon identified by other expositors with the "Gentile times" of Luke 21:24. At the Albury Park Prophetic Conferences, held at Albury, south of London, England from 1826 onward, the times of the Gentiles was one of the topics discussed. Even at the first meeting they were connected with the 2,520 year period.

As confirmed to my friend in a phone call, the Society's writer obviously used the word "connect" to mean "equate", on page 134 of the Proclaimers book:

As early as 1823, John A. Brown, whose work was published in London, England, calculated the "seven times" of Daniel chapter 4 to be 2,520 years in length. But he did not clearly discern the date with which the prophetic time period began or when it would end. He did, however, connect these "seven times" with the Gentile Times of Luke 21:24. In 1844, E. B. Elliott, a British clergyman, drew attention to 1914 as a possible date for the end of the "seven times" of Daniel, but he also set out an alternate view that pointed to the time of the French Revolution. Robert Seeley, of London, in 1849, handled the matter in a similar manner. At least by 1870, a publication edited by Joseph Seiss and associates and printed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was setting out calculations that pointed to 1914 as a significant date, even though the reasoning it contained was based on chronology that C. T. Russell later rejected.

Then, in the August, September, and October 1875 issues of Herald of the Mornng, N. H. Barbour helped to harmonize details that had been pointed out by others. Using chronology compiled by Christopher Bowen, a clergyman in England, and published by E. B. Elliott, Barbour identified the start of the Gentile Times with King Zedekiah's removal from kingship as foretold at Ezekiel 21:25, 26, and he pointed to 1914 as marking the end of the Gentile Times.

The JW audience that is the primary target of the Proclaimers book is given no clue that Brown's application of the "Gentile Times" was as Jonsson stated. This audience is well aware that the Society teaches that these periods are the same periods. It's obvious, then, that the author intended that his JW readers understand the phrase "connect these 'seven times' with the Gentile Times" to mean "equate" them. This is further proved by the very next sentence in the text, which talks about E. B. Elliott bringing "attention to 1914 as a possible date for the end of the 'seven times'". If Brown "connected" the "seven times" with the "Gentile Times", and the audience implicitly understands that they are supposed to be the same periods, and 'knows' that the "Gentile Times" ended in 1914, and Elliott "drew attention to 1914 as a possible date for the end of the 'seven times'", then it takes no genius to get the author's point: Brown and the other expositors equated the "seven times" and the "Gentile Times".

That the author of the Proclaimers book intended to contrast its statement about Brown making a connection between the two time periods with Jonsson's statements about associating, identifying and connecting them is proved by his use of italics: Brown "did, however, connect these 'seven times' with the Gentile Times of Luke 21:24." If he meant that there were merely a loose association, i.e., as I've shown was what Brown actually wrote (that the "Gentile times" were contained within the "seven times"), then it would be pointless to emphasize a statement about a connection.

Now, sham-scholar has admitted that Brown didn't equate the "seven times" and the "Gentile Times". Thus, to be consistent, he must claim that the author of the Proclaimers book also didn't equate the periods -- and that seems to be the thrust of his latest round of claims. But to make the point that this book disagrees with Jonsson's position, he must claim that Jonsson said that Brown did equate them. Yet we've seen that Jonsson said exactly the opposite.

Note what sham-scholar says in the post above: "Jonsson first raised the issue when he stated that Brown did not associate the Gentile Times with the seven times". What issue? The issue of whether Brown did or did not "connect" or "associate" the two periods. For there to be a point of contention between the Proclaimers book's author and Jonsson, their respective uses of "connect" and "associate" would have to be the same, since the former said that there was a connection, but the latter said that there was no association made by Brown. And this is exactly what sham-scholar claims: "the Society is corrrect in stating that a connection, association or relation is clearly evident in Brown's work and that Jonsson's statement is an error." I.e., sham-scholar claims that Jonsson's use of "associate" does not mean "equate". But in view of Jonsson's actual statements quoted above, this is the opposite of what Jonsson meant.

In summary, for sham-scholar to have a point, he must argue and prove that both the Proclaimers book's author and Jonsson meant the opposite of what their readers would clearly understand, and what official spokesmen (i.e., a Writing Department official and Jonsson himself) have stated on the record.

Sham-scholar has, to date, made no such arguments. He has simply proclaimed that the Proclaimers book's author is correct and Jonsson is wrong. He hasn't even argued, much less shown, why he thinks that either author means the opposite of what is clearly written.

AlanF

• simwitness
    simwitness

AlanF... Thank you for your comments.

Scholar,

this is not just some minor error on the part of Jonsson

Who said he was in error? I asked you what difference it truly made if he was... IF he was in error... yet you maintain he is, when there is evidence he is not in error. Prove that he is wrong... prove that Brown actually "connected" the two times as the WTBS suggests... so far, the only "connection" is limited to one paragraph in his works, and then it is a fuzzy connection at best.

Perhaps, the WTBS is "in error" by overstating this connection.

Again I ask you, what makes Brown's work worthy of this debate? I also think you are way overstating it's importance:

In fact it is foundational to his original treatise and in his later published GTR

In my reading of the GTR, it seems to be more of a footnote regaurding other's attempts to come up with an end times chronology, and is not an attempt to explain every facet, or connection of each author's attempt. If anything, it is showing that the WTBS is in no way unique in it's attempts, nor is it even genuine in being the originator. Nothing that the WTBS teaches is something that they (the WTBS) originated on thier own.

That the WTBS says "Brown Connected" and Jonnson says "Brown didn't connect" means nothing. It is a difference of opinion on a body of work by a dead man. It is only too bad that Brown cannot, for himself, say what he intended by that one paragraph on page 208.

if you cannot get the facts of modern history correct then how can you work and interpret ancient primary sources.

"facts of modern history" is a far cry from interpeting an authors interpetation of biblical passages and meanings.

I have no interest in working or interpeting primary ancient sources, there are enough people wasting their time on that right now. What can be said is that the WTBS is not interested either, as they are only interested in sources that back up their chronology, and they are finding them fewer and farther between.

The WTBS hasn't been able to get it's own history straight, much less "ancient primary sources". Hell, it took them 80 years to figure out what the word "generation" meant, and then they only made it more vague. (Bonus Question: What resource did they use as thier "dictionary" for that word?)

BTW, how many archealogical expeditions has the WTBS funded? How many "original texts" can be found at Bethel? How much has the WTBS contributed to the understanding of the "Bible Age" ? Has the WTBS actually contributed anything unique to the world of biblical archeology or understanding?

Riddle me this, Scholar, Where does the WTBS do it's research? Where does it gain access to the "ancient primary resources"?

One last thing:

Jonsson has blundered with this recent history or has twisted, ignored or been biased the evidence. You then would have to question that in regard to secular chronology is he also being honest, biased and accurate with the data. Rolf Furuli well demonstrates that Jonsson's claims are biased and not accurate

Firstly, you have not proven that Jonsson has blundered anything, or that he has twisted, ignored or been biased. These are your assumptions, these are your claims, but you have yet to prove any of them.

While I don't claim that Jonsson was unbiased, I do take his word as to why he did the research. He was attempting to prove the WTBS's chronology was correct, and soon discovered that it was not. He, Like others before him, attempted to share his work with the WTBS only to be "kicked out" without reguard to his research.

Yourself and, I assume, Rolf Furuli are, on the other hand, biased to prove the WTBS correct. You do not take a scholarly approach to the material, but instead start with an assumption that the WTBS is correct, and then ignore any data that might prove the WTBS wrong.

In short, you have a vested interest in Jonnson (and others) being "wrong".. therefore your research is heavily biased, and not to be trusted.

The WTBS writings have been shown time and time again... to have blundered with recent history or has twisted, ignored or been biased with the evidence... doesn't this mean that they are not to be trusted?

• scholar
    scholar

simwitness

RE; JONSSON'S HISTORICAL BLUNDER

You are determined to ignore the simple facts of the matter. It is Jonsson who first raised this issue as part of his platform in deconstructing the teaching of the Gentile Times . The Society in its Proclaimers book with nor reference to Jonsson states that Brown connected the times as proven by the cooments on page 208. Jonsson referred to Brown firstly as part of the Gentile Times debate and the Society for the first time merely refers to Brown because ogf the association with Luke 21:24.

The issue is onlly important as it relates to accuracy. It is clear that connection does not mean equating as Alan Falleges, niether Jonsson, the Society or myself say that these times were equivalent. Jonsson makes a statement, the Society contradicts this with page 208. Case fully proved.

QED

scholar

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Seems like the typical Watchtower style of argument to me: it's right because we say so!

But what's this QED?? Don't think so. Or is it another degree??Disappointed

• simwitness
    simwitness

deleeted duplicate post

• simwitness
    simwitness

deleted duplicate post

• simwitness
    simwitness

(I will delete the previous two posts, since the system won't let me correct them!!!!!...)

scholar,

QED? Don't think so. It is only "QED" if you are of the mindset that the WTBS is always right.

Isn't it entirely possible that Jonnson and the Society are looking at the data from two different viewpoints, and therefore they are both correct?

:niether Jonsson, the Society or myself say that these times were equivalent

So, then you are all in agreement. What was the problem again?

:Jonsson makes a statement, the Society contradicts this with page 208. Case fully proved.

The society contradicts it, or Brown's work "appears" to contradict it?

The only connection is in the fact that the times run "at the same time" or "during one another"... not a very solid connection between the two, given the linear nature of time itself, and since your contradiction is based on only one paragraph out of a book, not a very solid body of evidence either.

You haven't proven your point, becuase the only evidence you have brought is this one statement:

"The Society says this, all who disagree must be wrong..."

:It is Jonsson who first raised this issue as part of his platform in deconstructing the teaching of the Gentile Times

I still do not agree that he was "deconstructing" anything... I see it that he was showing a history of the teachings...showing how the society was niether the first, nor unique in this aspect.

His "platform" was a book detailing the evidence against the Society's 607 timeline. This (the whole connect issue) is but one minor point, and a point that can be "proven" for and against both sides.

If your only rebuttal will be:

"The Society says this, all who disagree/contradict must be wrong..."

Realize that that is a statement of Faith, and not Fact.

Have a pleasant day.

• scholar
    scholar

simwitness

RE:JONSSON' HISTORICAL BLUNDER

It seems that you want to trivialize this matter and or either ignore it. The fact of the matter is Jonsson has stated his position rather dogmaticaly which contrasts with the less than dogmatic position of the Society as shown in the Proclaimers book. I refer you to Jonsson's GTR, 1998, 3rd. edition, pp.36, and the italized' Brown did not connect' on page 69. This large page is a criticism of the connection explained in the Proclaimer book as reproduced on page 68. Jonsson is plainly in error and the Society was justified in stating the connection as I have explained.

scholar

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit