Why Did God Call ME Out of the Watchtower?

by stevieb1 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I have to ask those with religious beliefs a question;

If you knew someone used to be in a cult, and IN YOUR OPINION, they were making a similar mistake again, would you;

a/ remain silent

b/ try to show they where they were making a mistake

I think most people of faith would answer b, and funnily enough the "immoral goddless bunch ® " would usually answer b too.

If you look at threads with an exclusively religious topic, very often no non-believers will have an interest in it.

If a religious person advances beliefs they are not able to adequately support in a thread on a secular topic of interest to religious and non-religious people, then they normally receive a reaction similar to a non-believer who cannot adequately support their beliefs. If someone cannot defend their argument I don't care what paradigm their argument comes from.

However, although the reasons given for beliefs by religous people are valid to such people, very often they are meaningless to people without that belief.

A classic example is the abortion debate. A religious person who is anti-choice will normally base their belief on church law or an interpretation of a Biblical text. As neither of these would be acceptable arguments for restricting choice for a non-believer, the believer's argument is meaningless to the non-believer. On the other hand, a non-religious person pointing out a 12 week-old embryo has less brain material than an adult pet rat, and according this human rights is silly, is meaningless to a religous person, as they 'know' abortion is wrong.

Essentially I think it is the way that believer's beliefs are treated as meangless by non-believers that makes some religious people feel unwelcome here. As, by definition, beliver's beliefs are often meaningless to non-belivers, there is no easy way out of this unless one considers being patronisingly decepetive to religious people an option.

Likewise, as my initial question shows, often there is a moral element which means a non-believer responding as they unarguably do is reacting in as moral a way to them as a religous person does under the same circulstances; this would mean expecting non-religoous people to refrain from responding is unreasonable and an incitement to immoral inaction.

• gumby
    gumby
    If you knew someone used to be in a cult, and IN YOUR OPINION, they were making a similar mistake again, would you;

a/ remain silent

Unfortunately when you do this......many times a believer will take it as harsh criticism, or even persecution.

Gumby

• anglise
    anglise

Man talks to god = prayer

God talks to Man = Schizophrenia

Anglise

• gumby
    gumby
    God talks to Man = Schizophrenia

Did someone mention god spoke to them in this thread? I must have missed it.

Gumby

• avishai
    avishai
    Unfortunately when you do this......many times a believer will take it as harsh criticism, or even persecution

Yes, but that's not my issue..

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I'd be interested in comments on my post by NeonMadman or one of the other Christians who object to the way threads like these are responded too.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    a/ remain silent
    I think most people of faith would answer b, and

I agree, of course. But that wasn't my point. The issue wasn't whether atheists, or anyone else who believes he has found "something better," should try to show others the correct way. The problem as I see it is that the non-believers in this forum have made it darn nigh impossible to have a conversation about religion in any way, because the minute someone starts a topic that is religious or Biblical in nature, they all jump in with a fairly predictable set of objections which diverts the discussion to their agenda. I'm not talking about a freedom of speech issue here, just common courtesy.

While almost anyone would answer "b" to your question as phrased, I find it to be somewhat fallacious in its structure. You effectively presume in the asking that believing in God at all is "a similar mistake" to being in a cult, and I would heartily disagree with that presumption. Surely you will admit that there are many believers who live happy, productive lives; atheism is not a prerequisite for happiness. In fact, I've spoken to any number of believers who say they are now happier than when they thought there was no God.

If someone came out of the JW's, and was showing signs of becoming, say, a Moonie, then I'd agree, we should pull out all the stops in order to prevent them from making the same mistake again. But it's just wrong to equate all faith in God with cultism. I think that non-believers who argue that all religion is cultism are being somewhat disingenuous; there is clearly a distinction between practicing a normal faith in God and being in a high-control group.

the "immoral goddless bunch ® " would usually answer b too.

You'll notice that I have not referred to unbelievers as "immoral." I recognize that there are plenty of people who are kind and good people, in human terms, who are nonetheless unbelievers in God. I have no doubt that there are at least some atheists who behave as well or better than many Christians, even under Christian standards of morality. Atheism and morality is an interesting topic, about which I have some thoughts of a philosophical nature, but this thread isn't the place to explore them.

If you look at threads with an exclusively religious topic, very often no non-believers will have an interest in it.

And if so, they should contribute. I'm not complaining about the presence or participation of unbelievers in this forum; only about knee-jerk reactions that really don't relate directly to the topic under discussion, and that tend to hijack large numbers of threads to atheist vs. theist debates - over and over again.

If a religious person advances beliefs they are not able to adequately support in a thread on a secular topic of interest to religious and non-religious people, then they normally receive a reaction similar to a non-believer who cannot adequately support their beliefs. If someone cannot defend their argument I don't care what paradigm their argument comes from.

Again, I agree. A Christian who wades into a thread on evolution expecting everyone there to accept his views because he can quote the King James Version of Genesis 1 verbatim deserves to have his head handed to him. If he wants to make a case for creation, he'd better have his ducks in a row. But that's not the sort of thing I have a problem with. What I'm concerned about might be better illustrated by assuming that the creationist wanted to ask a speculative question about, for example, why God chose to create plants on the third day instead of the second or the fourth. The question is being asked from within the creationist paradigm, and the asker is clearly looking for responses from those of like belief. However, if such a question were asked in this forum, the questioner probably wouldn't get any responses from those of like belief. More likely, he'd quickly have two or three pages of people informing him that God is a myth, the Bible is flawed, etc. etc. He'd still have no answer to the question he actually asked, and the thread would be so overwhelmed by all the non-believing responses that he'd never get one; the thread has effectively been hijacked.

Let's turn it around a bit for purposes of better illustration: Assume that a non-believer starts a thread about his family problems. He wants advice from those of like mind as to how he can deal with some situation he is facing in his marriage. Immediately he is deluged by JW's posting that Jehovah is not blessing him because he has left the "truth," and that's why he's having this problem. Add to that several Christians, who inform him that, if he would just accept Jesus, all his problems would go away. Would any of that be helpful to him? Would he be likely to get any sort of useful answer in a thread that had been hijacked in that way?

A classic example is the abortion debate. A religious person who is anti-choice will normally base their belief on church law or an interpretation of a Biblical text. As neither of these would be acceptable arguments for restricting choice for a non-believer, the believer's argument is meaningless to the non-believer. On the other hand, a non-religious person pointing out a 12 week-old embryo has less brain material than an adult pet rat, and according this human rights is silly, is meaningless to a religous person, as they 'know' abortion is wrong.

This is definitely a topic that I don't want to get embroiled in, but I would like to point out at least the logical flaws, as I see them. I note your use of the term, "anti-choice," and of course, this debate has been characterized by each side trying to find undesirable terms for the other for many years. If the people who are opposed to abortion are "anti-choice," does that make those who favor it "anti-life"?

As for the brain material of an embryo, why is that relevant? A newborn infant has less muscle tone than a horse. So what? Isn't the point that the embryo, if nature is allowed to take its course, will develop into a full grown human being? Following your argument to its logical conclusion, anything less than a fully grown person might well be considered to have no human rights, and thus be subject to termination at will. Tired of that teenager never keeping his room clean? No problem, we'll do a "very late term abortion." Given the current debate about partial birth abortion, and the fact that a few advocates of 'post-birth abortion' have already arisen, I wouldn't be surprised if we're having just that sort of discussion in 20 or 30 years.

Essentially I think it is the way that believer's beliefs are treated as meangless by non-believers that makes some religious people feel unwelcome here.

I can't speak for everyone, of course. But that's not my concern, or the concern of those I have discussed the issue with. What bothers us is the sense that we are being "shouted down" by non-believers en masse every time someone brings up a religious topic, and that the topics we want to discuss are being lost amid all the shouting.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

NeonMadman:

The problem as I see it is that the non-believers in this forum have made it darn nigh impossible to have a conversation about religion in any way, because the minute someone starts a topic that is religious or Biblical in nature, they all jump in with a fairly predictable set of objections which diverts the discussion to their agenda. I'm not talking about a freedom of speech issue here, just common courtesy.

I see conversations about exclusively religious subjects attract little interest from non-religious people; yes, sniping does take place - there are two regular posters here who think they are either Jesus or have little chats with god on a regular basis, and some times the angels-on-the-head-of-the-pin super-fine-apostle routine gets old. But non-religious people have to put up with by sniping by peope of faith on many many threads with scientific topics or moral topics. I see this as inevitable, even if it is annoying.

Tell you waht, if you can guarantee that you will prevent people of faith (who have no intention of changing their beliefs) sniping (often in an ill-informed fashion) butting into topics that "don't concern them", I'll guarantee the same for non-believers. Obviously neither of us can do that though...

While almost anyone would answer "b" to your question as phrased, I find it to be somewhat fallacious in its structure. You effectively presume in the asking that believing in God at all is "a similar mistake" to being in a cult, and I would heartily disagree with that presumption. Surely you will admit that there are many believers who live happy, productive lives; atheism is not a prerequisite for happiness. In fact, I've spoken to any number of believers who say they are now happier than when they thought there was no God.

Yes, and you "effectively presume" that not believing in god is not a similar mistake; I assure you I know exactly what I'm doing and chose each word deliberately to highlight the moral imperative of action FROM AN INDIVIDUAL'S POINT OF VIEW. You pointing out that your individual point of view is different to mine is just stating the obvious.

I am sure many religious people would consider it their duty to reach out to athiests et. al, even if they are happy productive athiests, because they have moral imperative to; in fact if you're a Christian it's kind of in the job description. Once again, athiests have exactly the same moral imperative. In fact, as it is NOT part of an atheist's belief structure to convert people, and as they gain nothing tangible from such a conversion, it could be considered the atheist is being more moral by trying to prevent someone from making a mistake.

But it's just wrong to equate all faith in God with cultism. I think that non-believers who argue that all religion is cultism are being somewhat disingenuous; there is clearly a distinction between practicing a normal faith in God and being in a high-control group.

Oh, there's a clear difference between the two if you view them from a view of whether they are a high-control group or not. But is there a clear difference in the verifiability of their belief struture? If there is, show me.

A Christian who wades into a thread on evolution expecting everyone there to accept his views because he can quote the King James Version of Genesis 1 verbatim deserves to have his head handed to him. If he wants to make a case for creation, he'd better have his ducks in a row.

Absolutely. I'm glad we agree... but as regards the rest of that paragraph, yup, quiet little contemplations can be disturbed, be they a theist bugging a non-theist or vica-versa. If I posted a thread on the Evolution of Sentience in Homo Sapiens, I guarantee people with an opposite view would post, even if I wasn't interested in the opposite view. You are, in effect, complaining about gravity...

Yeah, it sucks, but it's the way things is.

This is definitely a topic that I don't want to get embroiled in, ...

(said Neon before getting embroilled in it)

... but I would like to point out at least the logical flaws, as I see them. I note your use of the term, "anti-choice," and of course, this debate has been characterized by each side trying to find undesirable terms for the other for many years. If the people who are opposed to abortion are "anti-choice," does that make those who favor it "anti-life"?

I coined (although I may have seen it elsewhere first) 'anti-choice' PRECISELY because of the use of 'anti-life' and 'pro-life' by those against abortion. Been using it for years. I'm not anti-life. I'm pro-choice. As many people who support abortion (statistically speaking in USA probably well over 60%) also support the death penalty, I cannot in good conscience call them 'pro-life', can I?

As for the brain material of an embryo, why is that relevant? A newborn infant has less muscle tone than a horse. So what?

So, 'nothing' is being destroyed, no sentience ceases to exist as there is no sentience to cease to exist. We kill non-sentient creatures for convenience, why not non-sentient embryos?

Isn't the point that the embryo, if nature is allowed to take its course, will develop into a full grown human being?

Is that a point? Why is it a point? You are drawing equivalency where there is none.

Around 60% of fertilised eggs do not result in a live birth due to NATURAL processes. Eggs fail to impant even if fertilised, or suffer from some internal irregularity that causes them to spontaneously abort, or some external (maternal) problem that ends up in a spontaneous abortion. If your argument is that there is something intrinsically special about an eggs POTENTIAL, your argument is not provable from the facts as nature is a harsh mistress who acts in a way inconsistant with any argument of specialness. If the body can abort an embryo, why cannot a adult human take a considered decision to abort as well?

Following your argument to its logical conclusion, anything less than a fully grown person might well be considered to have no human rights, and thus be subject to termination at will. Tired of that teenager never keeping his room clean? No problem, we'll do a "very late term abortion."

You obviously haven't been following my argument at all, or have a pretty bloody odd take on 'logic'. Either that or you are instead slipping into the strawman mode I normally see anti-choicers slipping into. I personally feel that, unless there is risk to the mother, abortion is fine, but should be carried out as soon as possible. There should be an upper limit based on neurological development which would mean abortions late in the second term or later would only be medical in nature.

Given the current debate about partial birth abortion, and the fact that a few advocates of 'post-birth abortion' have already arisen, I wouldn't be surprised if we're having just that sort of discussion in 20 or 30 years.

Oh dear, that's a slippery slope argument and a particulary ill considered one. As for the 'debate' about partial birth abortions, read this;

http://slate.msn.com/id/2090215/

Essentially it seem to me as if you object to criticism of believers by non-believers and yet close your eyes to the continual criticism of non-believers by believers.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    I see conversations about exclusively religious subjects attract little interest from non-religious people;

Maybe you're reading different threads than I am. That's entirely possible, since I don't tend to follow the flow of the board as a whole, but pick a few threads that grab my interest from the "Active Topics" and explore those. In recent months, following that pattern, I've noticed the sort of barrage I have described in many, many threads that started out on a religious topic, often enough that I was beginning to find it irritating. When I got to the WNFJ conference and found others who felt the same way, I decided that maybe it wasn't just my imagination after all.

Tell you waht, if you can guarantee that you will prevent people of faith (who have no intention of changing their beliefs) sniping (often in an ill-informed fashion) butting into topics that "don't concern them", I'll guarantee the same for non-believers. Obviously neither of us can do that though...

Quite right, and I wasn't suggesting that we could. I thought I should make the point, though, as I am noticing a trend for believers to stop posting or to post elsewhere. Everyone has a right to post, and will do so as they see fit. Unfortunately, courtesy seems to be lacking at times, and if you insist that is coming from both sides, I won't try to deny it, even though I haven't observed the same sort of ongoing campaign from believers as from the non-believing segment (and when I say "believers," I'm not talking about cranks like You Know and YoYoMama who went around trying to get hackles up). The upshot of it all is simply what I said: instead of the wide-ranging spectrum of belief that has been represented here, JWD might ultimately end up being a board for atheistic ex-JW's; the believers may simply go somewhere else.

Oh, there's a clear difference between the two if you view them from a view of whether they are a high-control group or not. But is there a clear difference in the verifiability of their belief struture? If there is, show me.

Of course not, if the debate is defined in strictly scientific terms. You can't put God into a test tube, therefore He doesn't exist. I've been through it all before. Just the fact that we are having this discussion - again - demonstrates how a thread that began with a question about one's experience of God has been turned to the standard atheist vs. theist debate. My point exactly.

The bottom line is that some of us believe in God without scientific proof of His existence, as repulsive as you may find that concept. We believe in Him because of our experience with Him, because He has touched our lives. We don't feel any need to be rescued by the more enlightened, who have found the "one true religion" of atheism. Nor are we to be compared with those in high-control groups, whose whole lives become subservient to human leaders.

For that matter, why is "verifiability of belief structure" a matter of concern? That's just another attempt to frame the debate in you own context. Christians, you may recall, walk by faith, not by sight, and that specifically excludes any verifiability in a scientific manner. You are asking us to defend our position within a context that we specifically reject. It would almost be as if I asked you to defend your atheism by referring to Bible texts that agree with your position.

Now, I guess your response to that would be that I reject science. Not at all. Science is a wonderful thing, and rational inquiry has led us to many truths. But it is not the only source of truth - at least, not in my opinion.

If I posted a thread on the Evolution of Sentience in Homo Sapiens, I guarantee people with an opposite view would post, even if I wasn't interested in the opposite view. You are, in effect, complaining about gravity...

I'll take your word for it; I don't tend to get into those threads.

Yeah, it sucks, but it's the way things is.

Agreed. But don't be surprised when it leads to its logical conclusion, which is a forum composed almost exclusively of non-believers. Maybe most of you don't care if that happens, and that's OK too.

(Skipping the abortion topic because I really don't want to get involved with it, except to note your comment responding to my remarks about the future of the public abortion debate):

Oh dear, that's a slippery slope argument and a particulary ill considered one.
    The entire public debate on abortion has been a slippery slope. Being somewhat of an old fart, I remember when the debate revolved solely around whether abortion could be performed in the first trimester, provided there was a compelling reason to do so (such as the mother's health). A second trimester abortion would have been unthinkable. But the "anti-life" forces (sorry, couldn't resist ) have advanced their cause incrementally over the years to where abortion is now seen as an inalienable right, is available at any point in pregnancy, and requires no reason to be performed other than the mother's request. Currently, the focal point of the debate is whether a child can be "aborted" while it is in the process of being born. And the next wave isn't far behind. There are some - currently considered radicals - who argue for post-birth abortion up to 30 days after birth. Given all that, is my assertion that the debate might go even farther in the future so absurd or ill-considered?
  • Abaddon
    Abaddon

NeonMadman:

I thought I should make the point, though, as I am noticing a trend for believers to stop posting or to post elsewhere.

People who like Coutry and Western Line Dance; people who like Heavy Metal mosh. EIther looks silly danncing out of place. I can see the frustration of believers that the paradigm they are basing their arguments on is meaningless to non-believers. Can I do anything about it? No; if they feel silly line dancing at a Steppenwoilf gig, well... stop dancing and stand and listen, or learn to mosh. As the feeling would be reversed if the situation is reveresed, there is no discrimination on unfairness here.

What I feel is that there is a presupposition by religious people that their beliefs are intrinsically deserving of respect, and what I feel is that when this respect is not given, they get 'bored' of it. I don't assume my opinions deserve respect; a dumb baseless opinion is a dumb baseless opinion whoever makes it.

Everyone has a right to post, and will do so as they see fit. Unfortunately, courtesy seems to be lacking at times, and if you insist that is coming from both sides, I won't try to deny it, even though I haven't observed the same sort of ongoing campaign from believers as from the non-believing segment (and when I say "believers," I'm not talking about cranks like You Know and YoYoMama who went around trying to get hackles up).

Ah, an ongoing campaign? Are you seriously suggesting that there is an orchestrated or planned campaign to drive relgious people from this board? I suggest you withdraw that and rephrase it; 'campaign' implies deliberate action with a goal in mind,. I find this deeply offensive, and would like to ask what evidence you have to back such a libel, if you actually MEAN 'campaign'?

I see conversations about exclusively religious subjects attract little interest from non-religious people;

Maybe you're reading different threads than I am. That's entirely possible, since I don't tend to follow the flow of the board as a whole, but pick a few threads that grab my interest from the "Active Topics" and explore those. In recent months, following that pattern, I've noticed the sort of barrage I have described in many, many threads that started out on a religious topic, often enough that I was beginning to find it irritating. When I got to the WNFJ conference and found others who felt the same way, I decided that maybe it wasn't just my imagination after all.

AH.... so you meet up at Conferences with people of like mind, but WE have an orchestrated campaign with people of like mind we've mostly never met? Hmmmm....

Again I say; I have had mnore ill-mannered religious yahoos barge into scientific discussions with an amasing lack of knowledge than I care to count. It annoys the ?uck out of me at times, as they usually end up using argumentum ad cut and paste, slaping in blocks of text they don't understand, but which reach a conclusion they wish to defend - blocks of text that often when you read them has been written by people who make elementary errors in their science.

I assure you I can prove this until you are green in the face; http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/15/59015/1.ashx, look at mattkoo's posts... and check the posting history of Jerry Bergman; he is a Professor who is some species of creationist or IDer who has failed to rebutt refutations of his arguments on several occasions, despite promises to do so. They're the tip of the iceberg.

I just take this as they way things are; I don't see it as unfair, or decide to go to a board where people won't disagree with me in a way that I cannot refute...

Quite right, and I wasn't suggesting that we could. I thought I should make the point, though, as I am noticing a trend for believers to stop posting or to post elsewhere. Everyone has a right to post, and will do so as they see fit. Unfortunately, courtesy seems to be lacking at times, and if you insist that is coming from both sides, I won't try to deny it, even though I haven't observed the same sort of ongoing campaign from believers as from the non-believing segment (and when I say "believers," I'm not talking about cranks like You Know and YoYoMama who went around trying to get hackles up). The upshot of it all is simply what I said: instead of the wide-ranging spectrum of belief that has been represented here, JWD might ultimately end up being a board for atheistic ex-JW's; the believers may simply go somewhere else.

Well, maybe it's filling a niche in the market and believers don't like it because of that? I know that a few years back there were virtually no boards that did not have a religously minded majority; were you complaining how unfair that was then? I was very glad when I found Tishie's board, as it WAS the only xJW site at the time which wasn't trying to sell Christianity to you, or assuming it of you. This place is good for similar reasons although there is more choice nowadays.

Of course not, if the debate is defined in strictly scientific terms. You can't put God into a test tube, therefore He doesn't exist.

Almost all atheists are very familiar with the logic behind not being able to prove something doesn't exist even if it doesn't exist; I would like to see you defend your arguments integrity with evidence that people are saying because you "can't put god in a test tube ... He doesn't exist"; if you can't it's a straw man argument.

I've been through it all before. Just the fact that we are having this discussion - again - demonstrates how a thread that began with a question about one's experience of God has been turned to the standard atheist vs. theist debate. My point exactly.

The thread was about someone's experience of leaving a cult, and people responded to it in light of their personal opinion and experience; YOU seem to object to people bringing a non-religious opinion and experience because the person asking the question did so from a Christian viewpoint, and you didn't like seeing his beliefs disputed.

I have to ask, would you have objected to atheists' reactions to a Satanist crediting Satan for getting them out of the Borg? Or to athiests' reactions to a Hindu crediting Vishnu? Do you only object to the disagreement with YOUR religious beliefs, or to disgreements with religious beliefs in general?

It seems to me it's only ended up the way it has because you seem to feel special treatment is warranted by one set of beliefs - maybe THAT is why some religious people don't feel welcome here?

The bottom line is that some of us believe in God without scientific proof of His existence, as repulsive as you may find that concept.

Why the insulting terminology? What good does that do your argument? Repulsive.... no. Illogical and non-falsifiable? Yup.

We believe in Him because of our experience with Him, because He has touched our lives. We don't feel any need to be rescued by the more enlightened, who have found the "one true religion" of atheism. Nor are we to be compared with those in high-control groups, whose whole lives become subservient to human leaders.

But what if you are subservient to a non-inspired book and the equally human interpretations of it? What if your desire to believe makes you feel as though these beliefs are validated by experience?

You must realise many Muslim, many Hindus, many followers of animistic faiths etc. believe their experiences validate their beliefs. Yet their experiences are as unverifiable as an external fact as yours are! Will you tell me they are equally right?

Whether you feel you need rescuing is scarsely relevent; JW's don't generally feel as though they need rescuing, do they? Are they right?

For that matter, why is "verifiability of belief structure" a matter of concern? That's just another attempt to frame the debate in you own context. Christians, you may recall, walk by faith, not by sight, and that specifically excludes any verifiability in a scientific manner. You are asking us to defend our position within a context that we specifically reject. It would almost be as if I asked you to defend your atheism by referring to Bible texts that agree with your position.

I can defend my atheism by using Bible texts that agree with my postion! Neon, not only is a Biblical belief structure non-verifiable, it is provably false in many areas and illogical in other.

• Existence of god; unverifiable.
    • Account of Creation: provably false.
    • Old Testament accounts where god instructs Israel to kill everyone but virgin girls; illogical considered described character of god elsewhere in Bible.

Yet, somehow, this inaccuracy or non-falsifiability is sold as a good point! You walk in faith.... and what of those who die in ignorance or, who because something as unreliable as faith (as, by most belief structures' definitions, there are an awful lot of people with the WRONG faith) is meant to be the deciding factor, die in ignorance?

Now, I guess your response to that would be that I reject science. Not at all.

Science is a wonderful thing, and rational inquiry has led us to many truths. But it is not the only source of truth - at least, not in my opinion.

My opinion is you reject science when it's inconvenient... your opinion is compiled from poor logic, cognitive dissonance and good-old-fashioned wishful thinking, replete with special pleading and magical thinking, shored with straw men. Faith? Scarey...

Agreed. But don't be surprised when it leads to its logical conclusion, which is a forum composed almost exclusively of non-believers. Maybe most of you don't care if that happens, and that's OK too.

It's not so much I don't care; I'm more of the opinion that rather than some religious people not coming here because of a 'campaign' against them, they don't come here as many secular arguments are irrefutable by someone using religious paradigms, and it gets wearing seeing this happen time and time again.

Instead, they'd rather patronise an online community where people are in broad agreement and can discuss common interests about their current beliefs.

The fact that non-religous people seem a little less precious about people agreeing or respecting their opinions is that they are just their opinions; you think I'm wrong, big deal - you think a religous person is wrong and you bad-mouth their conception of god, which some really cannot cope with.

The entire public debate on abortion has been a slippery slope.

Well, a slippery slope is different from a slippery slope argument; a slippery slope is an inclined surface with a low level of traction. The abortion debate is obviously not that. A slippery slope argument is one which cites (as you did) extreme and/or unforseen consequences leading on from an action, without any proof of the inevitability of these consequences. The anti-choice lobby often use these in the abortion debate; "if we allow RU-486, then they'll start killing new borns". Bad argument.

Being somewhat of an old fart, I remember when the debate revolved solely around whether abortion could be performed in the first trimester, provided there was a compelling reason to do so (such as the mother's health). A second trimester abortion would have been unthinkable. But the "anti-life" forces (sorry, couldn't resist ) have advanced their cause incrementally over the years to where abortion is now seen as an inalienable right, is available at any point in pregnancy, and requires no reason to be performed other than the mother's request.

Well, I'm not familiar with the exact stages of the progress of abortion law in the USA; I know here in Europe that some countries have actually reduced the maximum term for non-health reasons abortions. I'd be interested in see your evidence to support your above statement regarding increased legality of late-term abortions. As for early stage abortions, well, why on earth should the mother have to have any reason other than her desire to abort? Again, your distubance at this is based upon your presuppostion that it is wrong... something which you have not and cannot prove in objective secular terms.

As the USA is not a religious dictatorship, restricting actions based soley upon a religious belief is not possible.

Currently, the focal point of the debate is whether a child can be "aborted" while it is in the process of being born.

Ah, what purpose does not reading the link I provided serve (other than embaressing yourself by showing that you don't actually know what the current debate is outside of anti-choice propganda)?

And the next wave isn't far behind. There are some - currently considered radicals - who argue for post-birth abortion up to 30 days after birth. Given all that, is my assertion that the debate might go even farther in the future so absurd or ill-considered?

First provide evidence there are such groups. Then show that these groups have any liklihood of advancing their argument into law. Then you have the beginings of a reasonable argument. Until then it's just another fallacious argument.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit