Why Did God Call ME Out of the Watchtower?

by stevieb1 57 Replies latest jw friends

• stevieb1
    stevieb1

I was just thinking on this issue last night - why did God happen to guide me to a more accurate knowledge of the Bible instead of the many other sincere people still in the congregation I used to associate. What makes me so special as to warrant this blessing? Is a good education in Bible doctrine the sole criterion for exiting the Watchtower when there are many sincere ones who are not natural students who seem permanently trapped in the cycle of Watchtower feeding. How do you feel about this question?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Was this a phone call or a letter you got from God?

Mine was a letter, sent Priority Mail.

• avishai
    avishai

Here's a quote by Robert Heinlein that pretty much sums up my thoughts on this matter:

"The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all history. "

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Good quote, avishai!

BTW, I love saccharine and aspartame.

• gumby
    gumby
    why did God happen to guide me to a more accurate knowledge of the Bible instead of the many other sincere people still in the congregation I used to associate. What makes me so special as to warrant this blessing

Why did god allow 6 million people to join a cult? Maybe you are more special to him than all of them......children included.

Gumby

• avishai
    avishai

Here's a couple more by the same guy.

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis. Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to stand up to the unknown without help. But, like dandruff, most people do have a religion and spend time and money on it and seem to derive considerable pleasure from fiddling with it.
    God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent -- it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks, please. Cash and in small bills.
  • jgnat
    jgnat

Hi, StevieB. Perhaps God calls everyone. Problem is, few listen. Paul said that He calls to everyone through His wondrous creation Acts 17:19-33. I don't think God calls all men to the same life, but I do know I am a better person for remaining open to change. I do try to stay alert to that "still small voice". Here is a link you might like. I hesistated to post it before, because I think some XJW's would find it offensive.

http://www.scoop0901.net/life/2waytalk.html

Many are very happy to be free of any externally-imposed obligations. Can you blame them?

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    Is a good education in Bible doctrine the sole criterion for exiting the Watchtower when there are many sincere ones who are not natural students who seem permanently trapped in the cycle of Watchtower feeding. How do you feel about this question?

What concerns me are those "who seem permanently trapped in the cycle of" Christian, Jewish and Moslem "feeding". Many with a "good education in Bible doctrine" are totally ignorant as to the history of the scriptures and the god they present. They are ignorant to the fact that these myths were meant for uneducated tribesman. A child can see that the scriptures within the Bible and Koran depicted an insane and repugnant concept of God: a tiny anthropomorphic deity fashioned after a ruthless human ruler. When one worships a "Most High (god)" that is a killer, a god of war, it opens wide the door to mans inhumanity to man. At best the above mentioned books were a gathering of myths that may (with wisdom and guidance) point to aspects within ourselves, that we may differentiate between what is false and what is true of our identity. They were never meant to be taken literally. However, as the spiritual wisdom of man seems to have degenerated, for many hundreds of years now, they have been used by fundamentalists to control the un-thinking masses through fear and greed. The Jehovah's Witnesses are simply one tiny branch on a very diseased tree of religion. Christians, who think they are now free after leaving the Witnesses, have simply moved from one jail cell into another. This is how I feel. No insult was meant. j

• gumby
    gumby
    Perhaps God calls everyone

I though all a christian had to do was accept and believe in Jesus?

So then...... a person has to have god "call them"........otherwise, they might as well forget it eh?

Gumby

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

Avishai - Excellent quotes! Thank you for sharing.

StevieB - IMO, your own personal intuition guided you out of the cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit